UKC

Podsac - any recent purchasers on here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hardy 24 Sep 2014
I'm toying with the idea of getting another sack (n+1 syndrome probably), and was thinking of a Pod Black Ice size 3. Because they are now web only, I can't go and look at one in a shop and because they went web only following a take over I'm interested to hear what people who have bought them online think about quality etc
 Timmd 24 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

Seems odd to have rucksacks web only?
OP Andy Hardy 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Timmd:

The brandname was sold to planet-x. who don't have a real-world distribution chain to save costs.
 The Lemming 24 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

I bought my pod in 1995 and still use it today as my crag bag.

Is this recent enough for you?

woollardjt 24 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

Yes I bought one from Planet X , seems alright but then again I've not owned one of the original ones.

I personally find the build quality and fit of my blue ice warthog much better, everyone will have personal preference. As I said the sack seems ok, we will have to see how long it lasts
 Dave 88 24 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

I bought an alpine 40 at the start of the year. I've been very happy with it quality, design and features wise. The only thing I'd say is it seems a bit small for 40 litres compared to other bags I've used. I would probably go 10L bigger if I bought again. All subjective though.
 TobyA 24 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:
You get the feeling that the brand might not survive that much longer - Planet X don't seem to be doing anything with them. I don't know, but from the website it looks like they're just selling off what stock they have (certain models have disappeared) - so if you really want one you might need to get it soonish.

I think the Alpine 40 is a great all rounder http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2843
Post edited at 18:20
In reply to TobyA:

I tried buying a Pod guidebook cover from PlanetX last week. 2 days later they emailed to say there was a problem with the website and they didn't have the stock - offered me a different item or credit. I have requested a refund (Paypal) but they've just gone quiet on me.
 Pete O'Donovan 24 Sep 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> You get the feeling that the brand might not survive that much longer - Planet X don't seem to be doing anything with them. I don't know, but from the website it looks like they're just selling off what stock they have (certain models have disappeared) - so if you really want one you might need to get it soonish.

Hi Toby,

Don't write Podsacs off just yet!

As you say, at the moment Planet X are just selling off the stock they acquired in buying the brand from Equip, hence some of the bargain basement prices in recent months.

However, we (I'm collaborating with them on this) are currently working on completely revamping the range.

Cheers,

Pete O'Donovan.

Simon Caldwell 24 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

Planet X have stores in Sheffield and Barnsley - AFAIK they've not closed down? And there were still some left in Needlesports last month, they may have sold out by now.

According to their size information I should need size 2, but that was slightly too long for me so I've got a size 1 which is excellent. So I'd recommend trying before you buy if possible. Or order a 2 and 3 on the understanding that you'll send one back.

Quality seems excellent so far. Only design gripes - the side netting isn't big enough to take a water bottle, and the hip belt is just plain strapping rather than something with pockets. But these are mainly because I was used to them on my previous sack (the very good but not very robust OMM Villain).
 sbc_10 24 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

I got one in the recent sale, I think it was about £60 or something which was too good to let slip by, even if I do have 3 other rucksacks that cover the same remit.

It is really good. Strong and well built. Minimal features compared to some 'comfort,balance and weight carrying systems', but hey-ho it does the job. Good at humping day loads comfortably,and overnighters as well. Used it for 3 weeks solid in the Alps this year, including the Haute route. It is a little dusty, thats all, no other signs of wear. Hopefully it will do me for several Scottish winters as sack choice no.1.

Slight niggle. To carry walking axes you really have to stretch that little bungy strap (especially on the long back length). It's only a matter of time until something comes pinging off.

<recommended>
 the power 24 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

I bought a alpine 40 about 3 weeks ago used it out int alps seems good quality and only £50 I didn't realise they were Web only and went down to planet X in Rotherham paid for it over the counter and picked it up a few days later
 cragtyke 24 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

Ordered a chalk bag and some bits online last week, delivered in 2 days no problem.
 TobyA 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Pete O'Donovan:

That's excellent to hear Pete - good luck with the new range, I'll look forward to seeing what you guys come up with. It's a brand with real heritage, so I'm glad to hear you aren't planning on letting it go quietly into the night!
 ColdWill 24 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

Get it while you still can is my advice, I bought a size 2 in the summer. There isn't much they could do to improve it as it is except update the axe attachments. You won't get better at the price, ever.
 Damo 24 Sep 2014
In reply to TobyA:
> You get the feeling that the brand might not survive that much longer - Planet X don't seem to be doing anything with them. I don't know, but from the website it looks like they're just selling off what stock they have ...

That was the impression I got but happy to be proven wrong as Pete says above. I got the last size 3 black Black Ice at the time for a very good price. It included free international postage which meant I got it for AUD$137. Given the quality I think it's a bargain (and I know a gear bargain when I see one! :-o)

They're certainly a lot more robust, and a bit heavier, than lots of the alpine sacs on the market now. More like something we bought in the 80s. The ice axe attachment is a bit dated now, but obviously workable, though the bungee cords are a bit of work.

I'm 6'7" tall and the s3 is only just long enough I feel, they seem to fit a bit on the short side, but maybe that's for a 'climbing fit', above a harness etc. I like how the hip belt detaches but leaves the thin webbing in place for a basic belt.

For actual alpine or expedition climbing it has two things a lot of modern light packs no longer have:
- wand pockets, which means you can carry snow stakes more easily and they're something regularly used on expeditions, and
- side compression straps that are long enough to actually go around a foam mat. I'm surprised how many supposed alpine packs have too-short straps, presumably because it looks neater in the shop.

I like the white material lining part of the insides, makes it easier to see stuff. Small thing I notice missing is a clip inside either of the lid pockets to attach your keys or similar tiny things you can't afford to have drop out into deep grass three hours from the car on a rainy day.
Post edited at 23:41
 ben b 25 Sep 2014
In reply to Damo: That sounds like a story better told in the pub than experienced

I bought a POD Expedition sack in 1992, and reluctantly sold it in about 2007 after our first son arrived, assuming I wouldn't need it again and something better would have been designed in the intervening 15 years or so.

I was wrong on both counts and ended up buying a second hand POD X-Pod, similar vintage, which is still going strong in it's third decade. It's an old adjustable harness model and I expect my son will inherit it when he's old enough (mind you he still fits in it now so might take a while).

Assuming the back system fits then I suggest the OP goes for it. I assume there must be a return policy given that sacks, like boots, are best tried on....

cheers

b
OP Andy Hardy 25 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

Thanks for all the useful replies, sounds like my fears for the drop in quality are imaginary
 Damo 25 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

> ... my fears for the drop in quality are imaginary

Well I took the opportunity to get one now because I figured they were clearing out existing 'old style' stock and if they had new sacs produced, the materials or quality may be different. Maybe not...
 Simon Caldwell 25 Sep 2014
In reply to Damo:

> I'm 6'7" tall and the s3 is only just long enough I feel, they seem to fit a bit on the short side

I found the opposite, for me the fit was on the long side. Which I guess shows that people who are similar heights can have different back lengths, and it's back length that's important here.
 Damo 25 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> ... shows that people who are similar heights can have different back lengths, and it's back length that's important here.

Very much so, and not just in length. Individual back shape/curve will affect how a pack sits. plus some people prefer a pack to ride high up above their shoulders and some lower down.

I have very long legs so I'd say that despite my height my back length is about 'average' i.e. not overly long. I do like the pack to fit snugly to my upper back and shoulders though, so adjust it accordingly.

Off the cuff I'd say the Pod fits a tad shorter than Osprey, Macpac or Cilogear Large size but longer than Berghaus or Millet.
OP Andy Hardy 25 Sep 2014
In reply to Damo:

Order placed &#128522;
 mrgleb 25 Sep 2014
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

I had the same message about a guidebook cover today : (
 Roberttaylor 25 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

MacPherson Mountaineering in Inverness has a few of the original Pod rucksacks. Pretty certain one was a black ice but unsure of size, might be worth giving them a ring.
 ballsac 25 Sep 2014

hi Pete,

while you're looking at new sacs, any chance of an old-style Crag Sac in a khaki/tan colour?

just 1980/1990's bombproof construction, with 30cm deep mesh pockets on the sides, 6 point elastic cord on the front and a hydration pocket on the underside of the floating lid. if you could move the lid top pocket down the front of the lid so the zip opening faced up, instead of forward, that would be great - not only would stuff be less likely to fall out, it would move the pocket away from your helmet, meaning you could look around without catching it every. single. time.

cheers!

Pete O'Donovan 26 Sep 2014
In reply to ballsac:

The Cragsac will definitely be staying in the range but I'm not sure I'll be able to persuade them to do it in Khaki!

Thanks for the other suggestions...

Pete.
 ballsac 26 Sep 2014

pity! i had to paint mine, and it turns out that a black and purple rucksac, painted sand/brown/green, looks really shit 10 years later..

In reply to ballsac:

Aiguille would probably be able to make you a bag similar to the Cragsack in Khaki, with those changes to the pockets. And it would be made in the UK.

The Stratos would be the closest model. I'd have thought. http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showpro...
 ballsac 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

cheers, i'll get in touch with them.

grateful.
In reply to ballsac:

Give them a ring. They don't do email well!
 Camm 28 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:
I bloody love my alpine 40. The guy who said they're a bit small, I have to dissagree. I love the roll top, don't loose that. Aswell as the semi waterproof design. The only thing I'd change on mine is the ice axe atachments, they work but it's the only thing I could think of. And please don't let the quality slip.
 Camm 28 Sep 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

My podsac atracted attention in the alps, some french dude who worked for Millet was googling it as he had never seen one before and couldn't believe the price!
 sbc_10 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Camm:

Same with mine this year in the Swiss huts.
"Podsacs" is not eurotrash-slang for something else is it?
 Takein 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Camm:

Couldn't agree more. The rolltop design is excellent and I'm amazed how much gear I can get in there.

Paid £90 for my Alpine 40 two or three years ago and it's had an incredible amount of abuse. Currently being sold off at £50 – in my opinion that's probably the best value rucksack anyone could buy.
OP Andy Hardy 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Camm:

Ordered my black ice on Thursday morning and it arrived Friday afternoon. It seems well made, and is *cavernous*. Supposedly 53 litres but could well be more (compared to the 42 litre Grivel sack I use for cragging.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...