UKC

5.10's Dragons vs Blackwings (are they the same?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
thechop 26 Sep 2014
Hello.
I'm currently using 5.10's Blackwings and I'm thinking of buying Dragons as the second pair for my collection. The reviewers are saying they are basically the same, only Blackwings has the velcro closure. IS this true?
The problem is that I consider Blackwings as more of all-around shoes: I can climb slabs, vertical problems and over-hangs with good holds. I only fail on tiniest edges which need that extra stiffness and the reviewers the Dragons are great for the edges, but that Blackwings are as stiff as the dragons and I don't consider blackwings as stiff shoes. I can stand great on slabs and walking with them around the lines studying the problems ain't a problem for me.

(An another similar subject on Gear-section can be deleted, in case mods see this)
 Si dH 27 Sep 2014
In reply to thechop:

I quite like blackwings but can't fit in dragons. Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry.
 aln 27 Sep 2014
In reply to thechop:

> Hello.

>in case mods see this)

They have eyes everywhere.
 Niels 28 Sep 2014
In reply to thechop:

I've just gone from Dragons to Blackwings and they have a different fit, the Blackwings feel as if they have more in common with the last generation Dragons than the current ones, the heel for example fit completely different for both.

As for the extra stiffness I found the Blackwings to actually be stiffer, especially later on, it's just that the Dragons seem the retain their edge better for some reason.

They basically felt pretty different, but then its been a while since I had different shoes which may be distorting my view a bit...
 Arms Cliff 28 Sep 2014
In reply to thechop:

Blackwings are definitely softer than dragons when they are both broken in. Dragons are a bit narrower across the toe box. They used to be quite stiff when new but the newer dragons soften up pretty fast, especially compared to something like a Blanco or Miura lace. If I was after an edging shoe Dragons would not bemy first choice.
 cha1n 28 Sep 2014
In reply to thechop:

Having used both models extensively, I mainly agree with Arms Cliff. I do find the dragons stiffer and as the laces go quite far down on the dragons, you can lace them extra tight to add some rigidity. The blackwings feel a little stiff initially but that's because they have thicker rubber than the dragons, once worn in they are slipper soft.

I don't really get on with the really stiff shoes, so a dragon is stiff enough for me. If you're after something of a similar shape, that is stiff then try the five ten hiangle. I haven't tried them on yet but the owner of www.bananafingers.co.uk told me they are stiffer than dragons and they are built on the same last (although I'm told that they aren't quite so asymmetrical).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...