UKC

Berry Head cleaning - Dreadnought and Melinda

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kafoozalem 29 Sep 2014

A big thank you to Peter Brown for cleaning the top pitch of Dreadnought today. The gear placements are no longer full of soil and there's even a jam crack now.

I concentrated my efforts on Melinda. It is now a more pleasant prospect with the worst of the loose rock removed and lots of gear placements unearthed. I put a thread in to augment the belay at the top of pitch 1 (also used by Pikadon). I didn't think the overhang above the belay was climbable at 5a (loose 5c?) so I have re-routed it to bypass this roof on the R as for Pikadon. I have updated the description accordingly.

When I say clean I mean relatively clean! A good rain shower will improve them further.
Post edited at 20:36
 Iain Peters 29 Sep 2014
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Thanks to both Petes. Similar work will be started on some of the Culm's neglected classics this autumn/winter. More details later.
In reply to Kafoozalem:

> A big thank you to Peter Brown for cleaning the top pitch of Dreadnought today. The gear placements are no longer full of soil and there's even a jam crack now.

A what crack!?!? I don't remember even seeing a feature that could eventually be a jamming crack!

Dunc

Misha 29 Sep 2014
Good work!

I don't remember the top pitch being dirty... but I do remember the very fragrant belay in the little cave at the top of the second pitch! And a greasy hand traverse on the crux of the first pitch - did it on 1 August.

There's a hard route next it Caveman (Depth charge?) which looks great but is pretty vegetated. Cleaning that would be a job and a half though...
 flaneur 30 Sep 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...