UKC

Forest around Glenmore Lodge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 30 Sep 2014

Just had a few days bagging some munors in east Cairngorms. Set off up towards Ryvoan Bothy. There is some impressive tree regenration, well impressive for Scotland. Likewise coming back down off the ski slopes at end of trip and following the walkers track from the car park. It was delightful. Regeneration of a number of species of trees. I called into the ranger station and asked how they kept the deer away as there aren't any fences, and he seemed to think it was human and ranger activity that scared them off. Whatever it is, it would be good if other parts of Scotland followed suit. When I got round into Strath nethy, and onto Fords of Avon area it was as normal. A desert. Impressive bleak scenery. Some fabulous deep corries but treeless and obviously used for hunting. I walked back along the shores of Loch Avon. There are some great pebbles along the shore which have been graded I guess by water movement over time, then enjoyed a well made but low key path up to Corrie Raibert and onto the plateau. Munro bashing is a great way of getting to areas which I otherwise wouldn't visit.

Would Scottish independence mean more trees? Bring back the wolves.
Post edited at 12:10
 Mark Bull 30 Sep 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

Of course there are many areas which could benefit from reforestation, but Loch Avon at 710m is well above the natural tree line!
 toad 30 Sep 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

>
> Would Scottish independence mean more trees? Bring back the wolves.

Scottish forestry policy has been a devolved power for years, so it probably wouldn't have made any significant difference.
OP Phil1919 30 Sep 2014
In reply to Mark Bull:

There are trees pretty close to the top of Meall a Bhuachaille above Loch Morlich regenerating nicely. They can't be far off 710 metres. I think its the deer more than the height that stop them around Fords of Avon.
OP Phil1919 30 Sep 2014
In reply to toad:

Thanks, I half guessed so.
 Lankyman 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Phil1919:
Here is an example of forest regeneration in the Southern Uplands near Moffat http://www.carrifran.org.uk/ They have just purchased an even larger plot next door. I wish I could come back in a century to see it.
OP Phil1919 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks for that. Spot on. I have looked at the site in detail. I will buy their book.

It would be good if about half of the land between Carlisle and Glasgow followed suit.

Going back to Aviemore, the track down the burn from the car park through the woods...its amazing how many trees will regenerate once conditions are right. I don't think many were actually planted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...