UKC

"agreed that it could be seen as offensive"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 doz generale 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Just think it's a fact. Pigeons are racist, everybody knows that.
 Alyson 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Trevers:

If anything I would describe it as anti-rascist! Surely it's poking fun at the anti-immigration message, not supporting it.

Postmanpat 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Brains are probably addled by endless diversity courses. If you're told to look for racsim everywhere you'll find it everywhere.
 wilkie14c 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Damn geese, coming over here from canada, leaving their mess everywhere
 The New NickB 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Brains are probably addled by endless diversity courses. If you're told to look for racsim everywhere you'll find it everywhere.

Tired cliche that was never really accurate in the past and certainly isn't now. The reality probably is that a junior member of staff made a mistake. A bit like happened at Sainsburys this week.
 Sir Chasm 03 Oct 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> Tired cliche that was never really accurate in the past and certainly isn't now. The reality probably is that a junior member of staff made a mistake. A bit like happened at Sainsburys this week.

Somebody "accidentally" made a complaint?
 skog 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Trevers:

According to that link, the complaint was that it was "offensive" and "racist"; the agreement seems to have been that it could be seen as offensive (no mention of racist).

Offensive to xenophobes? And pigeon-fanciers, possibly.
 Postmanpat 03 Oct 2014

> Tired cliche that was never really accurate in the past and certainly isn't now. The reality probably is that a junior member of staff made a mistake. A bit like happened at Sainsburys this week.

Wot, no diversity courses? I'm outraged
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Somebody "accidentally" made a complaint?

Mistake isn't a synonym for accidentally, but you know that. What's more, it is the person responding to the complaint that we are talking about, not the person making it, but you know that.
 MG 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

Would I right in thinking the "more exotic-looking bird" is, in fact, a swallow?
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Wot, no diversity courses? I'm outraged

One very short one in 15 years in my case.
In reply to MG:

> Would I right in thinking the "more exotic-looking bird" is, in fact, a swallow?

Yes, a bird that of course has it's origins in Africa and famous long distance migrants.
 skog 03 Oct 2014
In reply to MG:

Eur ... oh, I get it ...
 Postmanpat 03 Oct 2014
> One very short one in 15 years in my case.

You're undertrained then
Post edited at 09:08
 MG 03 Oct 2014

Yes, I am aware of that. Lighten up.
 Bruce Hooker 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Alyson:

> If anything I would describe it as anti-rascist! Surely it's poking fun at the anti-immigration message, not supporting it.

Errm, well yes, I think that's it
 Sir Chasm 03 Oct 2014

> Mistake isn't a synonym for accidentally, but you know that. What's more, it is the person responding to the complaint that we are talking about, not the person making it, but you know that.

Actually, if you look in a thesaurus, you'll find "by mistake" is a synonym for "accidentally", happy to help as ever.

Wrong side of the bed this morning dear?
In reply to MG:

> Yes, I am aware of that. Lighten up.

I'm sure you are. I'm very light thanks, but actually your comment did make me think a bit more about the choice of a swallow, it is very interesting for a number of reasons, or maybe I'm just over thinking it.
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Actually, if you look in a thesaurus, you'll find "by mistake" is a synonym for "accidentally", happy to help as ever.

But I didn't write "by mistake". Glad I could clear that up for you.

> Wrong side of the bed this morning dear?

I'm sure I'm having a better day than you.
 Sir Chasm 03 Oct 2014

> But I didn't write "by mistake". Glad I could clear that up for you.

Oh, if someone makes a mistake they don't do that by mistake? Well, if you say so.

> I'm sure I'm having a better day than you.

You certainly seem to be.
 Rob Exile Ward 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I rather think the complaint was lodged by someone who thought its' obviously anti-racist, pro-immigration message was what was offensive about it.
 winhill 03 Oct 2014
In reply to MG:

> Would I right in thinking the "more exotic-looking bird" is, in fact, a swallow?

African or European?
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Oh, if someone makes a mistake they don't do that by mistake? Well, if you say so.

The meanings of words are contextual, it is very clear to anyone but a complete idiot, which you are not, that in this context mistake is a synonym for poor judgement.

> You certainly seem to be.

Well you got that right, so there is hope yet.
 Alyson 03 Oct 2014
In reply to MG:

While it has a forked tail it is the wrong colour for a swallow, which would have a red face and white breast.

Nerd out.
 Alyson 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> I rather think the complaint was lodged by someone who thought its' obviously anti-racist, pro-immigration message was what was offensive about it.

The most offensive things to me are a) pigeons don't eat worms and b) no bird with a long forked tail is going to be eating worms either.

It is ornithologically unsound and I would have painted over it for that reason.
 FreshSlate 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

NickB is right here.

Someone conflated 'made a mistake' with accidentally. An accident is something that was not intended, in the first instance.

I.E. "I accidentally tripped over a brick. I never meant to trip over the brick, it was an accident."

A mistake can be made purposely and with sound mind.

I.E. "I took down the offensive picture. At the time I thought it was offensive therefore I removed it. In hindsight, taking down the picture was a mistake."
 off-duty 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Trevers:

It's graffiti. It may be clever/arty/valuable but just because the criminal damage was done by Banksy doesn't mean the property owner can't just paint over it.
 MG 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I think it might be an artistic swallow. Pigeons aren't black and grey either. Not sure if artistic swallows are migratory though.
 The Lemming 03 Oct 2014
In reply to off-duty:

> It's graffiti. It may be clever/arty/valuable but just because the criminal damage was done by Banksy doesn't mean the property owner can't just paint over it.

And said graffiti was probably worth considerably more than the building which it adorned.

Bet the council wished it saved and sold the art now.
In reply to The Lemming:

It did actually put the Council in a very difficult situation, the image makes a very clear political statement during an election campaign on what is presumably a council building.

With the benefit of hindsight, maybe a sign or something over it until after the election would have been the best option.
In reply to The Lemming:

> Bet the council wished it saved and sold the art now.

Unlikely, given what I've seen within councils, it almost seems they think money grows on trees.
 Sir Chasm 03 Oct 2014
In reply to FreshSlate: My mistake.

In reply to Alyson:

Well, that IS interesting. I didn't know that pigeons demonstrated with placards either, but presumably that bit's OK?
 Blue Straggler 03 Oct 2014
You are all overlooking the best bit. The picture with caption "...Banksy (not pictured)"

Alyson 03 Oct 2014

Pigeons would carry placards given half a chance. You only have to look at them to know that.
 zebidee 03 Oct 2014
In reply to winhill:

> African or European?

Beat me to it.

The worst bit has to be the statement from the communications director:

"We would obviously welcome an appropriate Banksy original on any of our seafronts and would be delighted if he returned in the future."

You had one you dumb schmuck & you painted over it.

What do you think an appropriate Banksy for Clacton would be? A statement on the futility of living in a run down 19th century town full of decaying souls living their terminal days in despair?

Yeah - I'm sure they'd like that one too.
In reply to zebidee:

> Beat me to it.

> The worst bit has to be the statement from the communications director:

You have promoted him, so he must be doing something right

DaCat 03 Oct 2014
In reply to off-duty:

Actually Banksy always checks with the relevant parties before doing his art work and because most house owners know a Banksy painting will add another 20k to their house, they are usually up for it and so is the council. Its not graffiti its street art and there is a world of difference.

Banksy has done a lot of left wing political art work in a humerus messages.

What I see in this picture is a bunch of angry bigger birds showing bigotry to a dainty colourful bird. Seeing anything offensive in that picture is just hypocrisy.
 winhill 03 Oct 2014
In reply to DaCat:

> Banksy has done a lot of left wing political art work in a humerus messages.

He deserves some elbow room?

> What I see in this picture is a bunch of angry bigger birds showing bigotry to a dainty colourful bird. Seeing anything offensive in that picture is just hypocrisy.

I'm not sure it's hypocrisy, part of the image contains elements that on a stand alone basis could be offensive, when you read the whole it requires a nuanced reading to put those singular images into context.

There'd be an argument there that the muslamic raygun types may not understand the nuance and also that the people under discussion, immigrants, also may not understand the nuance and the humour.

That may unusefully limit discourse to the lowest common denominator but it's not hypocritical.
OP Trevers 03 Oct 2014

> Yes, a bird that of course has it's origins in Africa and famous long distance migrants.

Is it fully laden though?
 zebidee 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Council official #1: What? A pigeon carrying a placard?
Banksy: It could grip it by the pole!

Council official #2: Wait a minute! Supposing two pigeons carried it together?
Council official #1: No, they'd have to have it on a line.
Council official #2: Well, simple! They'd just use a strand of creeper!
Council official #1: What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers?
Council official #2: Well, why not?
 off-duty 03 Oct 2014
In reply to DaCat:
> Actually Banksy always checks with the relevant parties before doing his art work and because most house owners know a Banksy painting will add another 20k to their house, they are usually up for it and so is the council. Its not graffiti its street art and there is a world of
difference.

I have never heard that. You are suggesting that Banksy told the council he was going to paint the stencil and they gave him permission and then removed it anyway?
It is graffiti - it's just clever/artistic/political - or more importantly probably, valuable.

> Banksy has done a lot of left wing political art work in a humerus messages.

I've seen some pretty funny graffiti in toilets cubicles. Doesn't make it art though.

> What I see in this picture is a bunch of angry bigger birds showing bigotry to a dainty colourful bird. Seeing anything offensive in that picture is just hypocrisy.

I'm not sure that it's "hypocrisy", especially when we don't know who made the complaint.
Post edited at 12:46
robapplegate 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Trevers:
"Banksy has done a lot of left wing political art work in a humerus messages"

No 'arm done then
Post edited at 13:18
In reply to off-duty:

Yeah, the last Supper is just painted on a wall; clever, artistic and political. Can't be art though, it's painted on a wall.
 off-duty 03 Oct 2014

> Yeah, the last Supper is just painted on a wall; clever, artistic and political. Can't be art though, it's painted on a wall.

I could have phrased that better.
Trying to point out that there isn't some magical dividing line between graffiti and "street art". It's very hard to decide where the line should be drawn, and ultimately and unfortunately, the fact that the art is carried out as graffiti doesn't give the artist, or the artwork, any "extra" rights not to be removed.
 Bruce Hooker 03 Oct 2014
In reply to off-duty:

> the fact that the art is carried out as graffiti doesn't give the artist, or the artwork, any "extra" rights not to be removed.

But in the case of this artist a bit of common sense could have been applied!

Am I right in having the impression that some posters here haven't yet realised that this painting was making an anti-racist comment? If so there may be a job for them on the council 8-)
In reply to Alyson:

>The most offensive things to me are a) pigeons don't eat worms and b) no bird with a long forked tail is going to be eating worms either

But isn't that part of Banksy's comment - that fears about immigrants are often unfounded beliefs of people with no real involvement in the issue ??

Not to mention the fact that most Swallows, despite migrating from Africa, would have been born here in the first place?
Removed User 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Indeed - how is it possible for the BBC to state is is 'not Banksy' pictured given the possibility that that could indeed be Bansky?
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

> But in the case of this artist a bit of common sense could have been applied!

> Am I right in having the impression that some posters here haven't yet realised that this painting was making an anti-racist comment? If so there may be a job for them on the council 8-)

Who hasn't realised, I'm not sure I have spotted anyone, but I am happy to be corrected.
mgco3 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Pigeons are VERY recist. All they say is "lookatthecoonslookatthecoons" !
 NathanP 03 Oct 2014

> Yes, a bird that of course has it's origins in Africa and famous long distance migrants.

I'm no expert on birds but aren't Swallows famously born in the UK and travel to Africa for the winter?

Seems to me the Pigeons are complaining about returning holidaymakers. A strange stand to take in a town whose main economic activity (amazingly) is tourism.
In reply to NathanP:

> I'm no expert on birds but aren't Swallows famously born in the UK and travel to Africa for the winter?

I'm no expert either, but by origins I mean as a species. This is probably where my over thinking on the subject started.

> (In reply to Postmanpat)
>
> [...]
>

Wrong as ever;

> Nigel Brown, communications manager for the council, said: "The site was inspected by staff who agreed that it could be seen as offensive and it was removed this morning in line with our policy to remove this type of material within 48 hours.

Note that; "by staff who agreed"? Is it a junior member of staff agreeing with himself?

Or could it be a consequence of the plethora of courses on "diversity awareness" organised by Tendring District Council. (easily found online.)
In reply to MG:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
>

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/24/monk-parakeets-parrots-u...

In reply to Trevers:
Definitely doesn't look like a Monk parakeet, nor a Ring-necked parakeet (which is a more numerous 'alien' species), but it does (as well as looking swallowish) look a bit like a Budgie (not widely free-living in the UK, but known in the US simply as a 'parakeet').
Post edited at 02:32
Removed User 04 Oct 2014
In reply to winhill:

Interesting hypothesis. This........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2351767/BBC-shelved-report-showing-...

..........shows that the BBC had the same concerns. That the terminally thick could not be relied upon to understand the irony.
 The New NickB 04 Oct 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Wrong as ever;

Why would that be? I'm starting to feel this is a bit personal.

> Note that; "by staff who agreed"? Is it a junior member of staff agreeing with himself?

A complaint was made, the identity of the complainant was not clear, but probably a member of the public, a member of Council staff was despatched to have a look and if they agreed with the complaint that it was offensive, clean it off. This would certainly be a junior member of staff. It appears that Tendring District Council have a commitment to clean away offensive graffiti within 48 hours. Do you honestly think they send a team of managers to every piece of graffiti or do you think it is more likely to be a man in a van.

So to make it nice and simple for you "by staff who agreed (with the complainant)".

> Or could it be a consequence of the plethora of courses on "diversity awareness" organised by Tendring District Council. (easily found online.)

I'm sure they exist, likely a legal requirement, I could check, but I'm not sure what you have found online, perhaps you can expand.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...