UKC

Climbers with babys & todlers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jennie 06 Oct 2014
Is there anything like an informal group for climbers with lil ones? I thought if not maybe it would worth setting one up on FB or something like that. We've been struggling a bit to get out climbing now we have a roaming 10 month old. Would love to share info on baby/toddler friendly crags or find other people in the same boat.
 Yanis Nayu 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

You've got nuts, cams, slings, harnesses and ropes - how hard can it be?
In reply to Jennie:

I once saw someone rig a baby bouncer from 2 bits of gear at Froggatt. The little one was loving bouncing up and down while the (I assume) parents climbed next to it.
 TonyB 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

I'd be interested in this. Our son is now four. If we take him to the crag, we go bouldering rather than rope climbing, but it's great when we turn up at a crag and there are other kids for him to play with. If you set a group on FB then my wife and I would be keen to join.
 alasdair19 06 Oct 2014
In reply to TonyB:

count us in too we've got a 1 and 3 year olds.
 flopsicle 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

I'm a single mum with a 6 yr old climber daughter - would also be very interested in family meets.
pete82 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

I'd be interested in a group too, I have 5 year old (just getting into climbing, which is nice!) and a 2 year old (thinks big rocks are scary!).
 marsbar 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

I have lovely photos of my niece when she was smaller suspended in her harness from a handy tree. She seemed to like it.
alanthomas 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

I'd be interested in a group too. We have a 9 month old and are desperate to get back into our climbing.
 Brass Nipples 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:
Windgather is good crag for young ones. Nice grassy areas for picnics. Easy climbs for the kids (and adults), quick to get back down for another climb.
Post edited at 22:22
 drolex 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

Except for sheep's poo... The place is absolutely covered in it. Quite difficult to let the toddler roam freely as she seems to have a strange attraction for the thing.
 deacondeacon 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

Hi Jennie, where are you based? My wife has started taking our 10 month old to the works on Monday mornings, where they have a baby session.
 Iain Peters 06 Oct 2014
In reply to drolex:

We had an allotment when the first one was at the crawling stage. Worms, sheep droppings and compost all ended up in his mouth. He's now over 6ft, surfs and has a first in Philosophy!

The Climbers' Club has been running an annual Family Meet for over 20 years in Cornwall. It's hugely popular. It also gives climbing parents with young kids the opportunity to get out and climb together as an informal child-care system seems to develop very quickly. The other bonus is that parents from particular parts of the country get to know each other and can then make arrangements to meet up and share climbing/child care after the end of the holiday. A FB group might well work in the same way.
 drolex 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:

> He's now over 6ft, surfs and has a first in Philosophy!

Yeah that's what I mean. I don't want a surfing philosopher in the family, I try to breed mountaineering physicists.
 Iain Peters 07 Oct 2014
In reply to drolex:

Bit this one also bakes bread for a living and cooks a storm, so I'm happy to leave the mountaineering physics to your gene pool!!
 Happy Haggis 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie: I'd be interested in a group too - expecting my first child imminently. I'm also in touch with the Arch in London about starting parent/baby sessions similar to those already run at The Works - I can update in due course once details are finalised.
 maxsmith 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

Sounds like a great idea, I would join
OP Jennie 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:
Ok well I've set up the group, it needs fleshing out a bit, but it's a start. If you search FB for Climbers with babies, toddlers & little ones you should fingers crossed be able to find it. It's a closed group at the mo, but will probably switch it to an open group whilst it gets up and running ( just need to fiddle with the settings a bit). Gotta go LOs just stirring

pete82 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

Could you post a link? I've just searched and couldn't find it ... (I could be being a bit stupid though). Thanks, Pete.
 Puppythedog 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

I'd like to join. We're having our first some time this month
 Lynsety 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

I would like to join as well. Have a 2.5 year old and five month old. Searched Facebook but couldn't find it?

Lynsey.
 Puppythedog 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie: I've also searched unsuccessfully.

OP Jennie 07 Oct 2014

Hey sorry about that, try this https://www.facebook.com/groups/Climberswithlittleones/
I'm a bit useless with FB myself, so I've probably got the privacy settings set weird or something. Fingers crossed I can sort it out.
Post edited at 22:14
 Whitters 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

Just joined FB group. My wife and I are based near York and have a 2 year old (who seems keen to climb) and a month old (less so). Would definitely be interested in family meets.

One bit of advice I read was to put the little one in a sleeping bag with a sling tied just below their feet, then pop them in a rucksack at the bottom of the crag whilst you climb. Strangely I've not been allowed to try it yet...
 mwr72 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

Great idea, thanks for setting up the group.
I have a toddler who turns 3 next month and she's keen to climb though she does tend to get a bit scared of height and much prefers to swing in her harness. I also have a 3 month old so it has been very difficult being able to get out to a crag.
I'm based in Yorkshire if there are any more parents in the same predicament.
 ti_pin_man 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:
I have four month old twin girls and have requested to join.

Anybody get to craggy or white spider? It would be good to encourage them to set up a parent / baby group.

EDIT: and one suggestion is Climb Newcastle. they run a rock stars class in their little rock room upstairs on Saturday and sunday mornings. They teach the kids basics by playing climbing games. Once a child is old enough and skilled enough they can be promoted to their junior academy. Recommended. My eldest, now ten started this way. Its great, she made friends and now enjoys climbing in the bigger rooms. Its worked well.
Post edited at 08:30
 Puppythedog 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

I have now asked to join. Thanks for setting this up great idea.
OP Jennie 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

Doh, just saw the typos in the original title thread, soz about my dreadful spelling,
I was in a rush when I posted
 noteviljoe 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

I started climbing just before my wife (who doesn't climb) had our first baby. Now we have two kids and I am the main career. I dream of who free it would been to have started climbing when I was at Uni and had tones of time on my hands!

Have tried to incorporate climbing into outdoor activities with the kids and recently having started to get the hang of safely using my trad' gear took my 3 year old for her first roped climb at Windgather. She had a blast and is continually asking when she can do it again.

mfisher 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

My son is 7 days old...

Have requested the FB page!!
 solo-penguin 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

Hi Jennie, have requested to Join group on Facebook, I have an eight month old and I haven't been able to get out climbing since I fell pregnant, something like this is just what's needed
OP Jennie 08 Oct 2014

Well we're getting a great response already. Seems there's quite a few of us attempting the whole juggling climbing parenting thing , really great to find others in a similar situation.
Post edited at 23:53
 ByEek 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

I wouldn't say juggling. More not climbing.
OP Jennie 09 Oct 2014
Oh dear ByEek
OP Jennie 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:
Bump
 Caralynh 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

I don't have Facebook but will point my husband at this thread. Little one is only 8 weeks at the moment, but would be good to try to get back on the rock in the summer with other families
In reply to Jennie:

Let me in too.

18 month son and 4yr daughter just started school. Not climbed properly myself, as in pushing myself and pursuing goals, having fun and adventures, for years. Only Touched real rock, like, four times this year. Feel like the heart and soul of my life has been ripped out. Anyone else feel this extremely selfish, if they're honest?
 jepotherepo 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Just Another Dave:

That wonderful balance of lust for adventure, envy of others climbing and guilt for the previous two!
 jepotherepo 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Jennie:

can I join the group too please. Ta for setting it up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...