UKC

I am skint but in desperate need of a new hardshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GraMc 08 Oct 2014
As the title says I'm skint and need a new hardshelll for scottish winter.

Thoughts on this mountain equipment jacket? http://www.theepicentre.co.uk/mens-clothing-c116/hard-shell-c144/mountain-e...

its drylite and not sure whether I would regret it.

any other ideas?

sxrxg 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Ginger McGrath:

The karrimor elite alpineste 2 can be had for £60 from sports direct/field and trek depending on size and colour. It uses event fabric and seems decent for the price with a climbing cut. I don't have this jacket however do have the lighter shell using own brand weathertight fabric and can't fault it for a jacket to throw in the bottom of the bag as an emergency lightweight shell, it has a good active cut for using with a harness and seems pretty hard wearing so far.

http://www.karrimor.com/karrimor-elite-alpiniste-2-event-jacket-mens-442087
 lewis.m 08 Oct 2014

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Technical-Clothing/Waterproofs/Rufty-...

Picked one of these up the other week, not had much use of it but it's a decent buy at the price. You'd have to ask someone that knew a bit more if it'd be any good in proper Scottish weather though!
 The New NickB 08 Oct 2014

I tend to go against convention when it comes to winter shells. I go lightweight and cheap on the basis that I am unlikely go climbing in the sort of conditions that require a heavy duty waterproof, better with a softshell of some description and a lightweight waterproof in the bag with the belay jacket, for if things really crap out and you have to retreat or finish route and retreat.

OK won't be a breathable, or abrasion resistant, but you will be wearing it much less so doesnt need to be. Just my view and the rest of your kit needs to be compatible with this system, I'm sure others will disagree.
 telemarker 08 Oct 2014

Try www.sportpursuit.com they sometimes have some very good deals.

S
 Neil Pratt 08 Oct 2014

Needlesports selling Rab neoshell jackets for £134 - excellent value.
 aldo56 08 Oct 2014

I just got one of these, seems pretty solid so far:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/the-north-face-mens-alpine-project-jacket-11...

Edradour 09 Oct 2014

No-one else amused by this whole thread?

'I'm skint but I desperately need an expensive new piece of equipment to do an entirely voluntary hobby'

Sorry Ginger, but you're not that skint if this is a concern...

This will probably see you through a few days:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grangers-Fabsil-Waterproofing-Spray-600ml/dp/B0017R...

Especially if combined with these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McNett-Gore-Tex-Repair-Patches/dp/B005T19RQ8

Gael Force 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Edradour:

My thoughts entirely...
 BnB 09 Oct 2014

Hi Ginger. Looking at your profile you are obviously spending far too much time getting ridiculously skilled at your pastime. If you can bear to do so, maybe it would be a good idea to work in a bar or building site for a day or two instead of climbing and earn £150 which will buy you a brand new GoretexPro hardshell. Problem solved.
 mike123 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Ginger McGrath and the last 3 posts :
oooh whats that I smell ? sour grapes per chance ? see I read the op as "recommendations for cheap and best hardshell ?" nothing more. apologies if i ve misunderstood but where do you read "please give me a hardshell so i can go climbing and not work ?".
young lad spends his life having adventures and getting good at climbing. quick. send in the fun police.
 ralphio 09 Oct 2014
In reply to mike123:

Agree
 rallymania 09 Oct 2014

tkmaxx, dreadful sopping experience, but have found some amazing bargains for outdoor gear on a budget.

(by dreaful i mean... if you are time poor, cash comfortable don't bother... but if you have time to visit several times before you find what you want / need you'll be surprised what you can get there)
 BnB 09 Oct 2014
In reply to mike123:

Not sour grapes, though I agree I didn't get the right tone in my post for which I apologise to Ginger and to anyone sensitive enough to be offended.

My point was that he can either buy an adequate jacket for £150 or alter his priorities for only a brief period of time and then have £300 to buy the pick of the top of the range. For something so intimately connected to his favourite activity this would seem not just to make good sense financially but also be likely to repay him in an emotional sense for several years (I can get quite emotional about my jackets and I reckon many climbers do).
 hamsforlegs 09 Oct 2014
In reply to BnB:

Except you can play that game with every item you purchase, gradually push up your expectations of every piece of kit, and end up like me: all the gear and no idea.

I've a lot of admiration for someone who is very focused on just getting out there.

In reply to the OP: check out the Montane range. I bought one of their 'atomic' jackets years ago and it proved breathable, reasonably light and surprisingly tough. The current version is only £110 and could be a good bet.
 Offwidth 09 Oct 2014
In reply to BnB:

I dont have money problems and the idea of spending £300 for a winter climbing jacket might give me nightmares. Uk winter climbing burns money as it is without such extravagance.
 BnB 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Extravagance? That's an opinion not a statement of fact. All down to personal experience of course. I've always been disappointed with cheaper jackets. I have a lightweight hardshell that feels wet inside even when it's dry... Buy cheap, buy twice!!
 The New NickB 09 Oct 2014
In reply to BnB:

Why are you wearing a hardshell when it is dry?
 Bradders 09 Oct 2014

I picked up a lovely OR jacket brand new off ebay for £80. Its another option. Also in my opinion if your using a brand new jacket lots then it will after a couple of uses become the same state as a jacket bought by someone with no idea who doesn't use it much and therefore selling it on. In my mind that's cash effective, though I probably would buy new if I had lots of money spare but oh well
 BnB 09 Oct 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Haha... I meant dry on the inside... but you knew that
 The New NickB 09 Oct 2014
In reply to BnB:

> Haha... I meant dry on the inside... but you knew that

I didn't, but I get your point.

Lightweight shells aren't as comfortable on a wet day, which is why I would probably advocate a laminate with a heavier face material for walking, especially outside of summer. But I see both winter and alpine climbing as different. You don't want to be climbing on a wet day, your hardshell is a backup for if things crap out. I can deal with less comfort when retreating in bad weather, balancing it against a weight saving and a financial saving. The weight saving being the more significant of the two.
 BnB 09 Oct 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I agree and for that reason I have one of each, but the OP did say Scottish winter. I'd pack the lightweight one and wear softshell for dry days, but on full-blown Scottish days there's only one choice.
 Max factor 09 Oct 2014

This is the thread i meant to start. not becuase I'm skint, but I do need a new hardshell and balk at paying £300 for a pro-whatnot hardshell that I will trash.
 JohnnyW 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> I dont have money problems and the idea of spending £300 for a winter climbing jacket might give me nightmares. Uk winter climbing burns money as it is without such extravagance.

Agreed.
 Max factor 09 Oct 2014
In reply to sxrxg:
> (In reply to Ginger McGrath)
>
> The karrimor elite alpineste 2 can be had for £60 from sports direct/field and trek depending on size and colour. It uses event fabric and seems decent for the price with a climbing cut. I don't have this jacket however do have the lighter shell using own brand weathertight fabric and can't fault it for a jacket to throw in the bottom of the bag as an emergency lightweight shell, it has a good active cut for using with a harness and seems pretty hard wearing so far.
>
> http://www.karrimor.com/karrimor-elite-alpiniste-2-event-jacket-mens-442087

Does anyone actually own this? Any good? how is it cut, etc etc.
 Offwidth 09 Oct 2014
In reply to BnB:

Why? I've climbed in such days in a buffalo and a thermal. A pal once used a fleece, thermals and a bin liner (he forgot his jacket). There are in fact many choices. The only time I'd say the gortex type hardshell was invaluable was when climbing melting ice or on the summits in approaching hurricane force winds (which I've done a few times but wouldn't recommend).
 BnB 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Last year I only climbed in hurricane force winds!! But I certainly agree there are a number of different conditions where goretex is not the ideal choice.
 Offwidth 09 Oct 2014
In reply to BnB:
You are exaggerating. It must be near impossible to climb regularly in such winds... I've only faced them on summits where the wind was coming over the top of the (sheltered) crag... I found it very difficult to stay on my feet... I crawled/scampered/fell during lulls and clung to the ground during the gusts. In anything up to gale force winds the Buffalo worked fine and when climbing in high winds I really wanted to be elsewhere.
Post edited at 16:52
Zoro 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Ginger McGrath: http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Technical-Clothing/Waterproofs/Rufty-... dont know if its already been posted but ive one of these and paid a whole load more cash last year for it!
OP GraMc 10 Oct 2014

Cheers for the replies, some more useful than others!
Calski 10 Oct 2014

Some good deals on Sport Pursuit at the moment...

Cal
 mike123 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Calski:
beat me to it. sport pursuit / marmot . must be someat there.
In reply to rallymania:
> tkmaxx, dreadful sopping experience, but have found some amazing bargains for outdoor gear on a budget.

Decent bargains have been very thin on the ground in the last couple of years (SportsPursuit doing a better buying job, perhaps?)

But my local currently has some Montane eVent jackets for £100, and an Outdoor Research Axiom jacket.

[edit: Montane jackets were Air and Mohawk]
Post edited at 14:11
OP GraMc 10 Oct 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yeh its hard to find stuff on sport pursuit in a medium, whats your local shop? have they got a website?
OP GraMc 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Edradour:

My current jacket has, at last count 6 patches on it, and needs at least 3 more and leaks through all the seams, it actually still works fine in alpine conditions but for scottish winter its not really up to scratch.
OP GraMc 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Zoro:

How have you found the durability with it? I've herd bad things....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...