UKC

I need an App written

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lowersharpnose 08 Oct 2014
I need to get an Android & Iphone app written. It will allow users to build shopping lists and allow remote interrogation of a price database using these shopping lists or ad hoc searches. I know this is a bit vague.

I am aware that if I were to start it myself, there is large amount of learning to do before I can start. And I am too busy on other aspects of this project.

I am after either advice on how to go about getting what I want done or someone interested in actually doing the doing.

Any suggestions or folk with time and expertise?

My UKC email is kaput, so don't bother replying using that.

ByEek 08 Oct 2014
In reply to lowersharpnose:

You have a few options:
1. Hire a contractor (expensive)
2. Put the project online and have freelance developers bid for the work (probably too cheap for the scope of work). Just google software freelancers.
3. Do it yourself

Either way, before you do anything, I think you need to write down a reasonably comprehensive spec of what you require. The brief as you have described has the opportunity to bloom into a very expensive monster that probably doesn't do what you wanted anyway.

Good luck!
In reply to ByEek:

Yes, ta. No spec yet, I want the app to do what my (development) website does but in an appish way.

I will not be hiring a contractor.

Nothing to do with the OP but you can change you UKC email here if your old one is dead - https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/setemail.php

Have you looked into jQuery mobile? There's a few platforms like http://phonegap.com/ that let you develop in jQ mobile and build apps from that for pretty much any platform.
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thanks for the pointer, I will investigate.

Changed my email too, thanks for the link.
 jasonC abroad 08 Oct 2014

Have you considered using a responsive website rather than an app, mobile friendly, more user friendly and no need to maintain two sets of code. I know everybody seems to love apps, but modern websites are the way to go, they can do the same things as an app, without having to download anything etc.

As others have pointed out, getting an app created will be expensive.

Jason
 MtnGeekUK 08 Oct 2014
In reply to jasonC abroad:

^ Beat me to it - responsive the way to go. Presumably will need data connection anyway to access the pricing DB?
In reply to jasonC abroad:

That idea looks good, it has immediately gone to top of my research list. I only want an app to do what is on the website anyway.

This is a good framework to use to build a responsive site - http://getbootstrap.com/
 imkevinmc 08 Oct 2014

Mysupermarket fits the bill for my weekly shop.

Amazon for eclectic baskets.

What else will your app offer?
 Padraig 08 Oct 2014

and allow remote interrogation of a price database using these shopping lists or ad hoc searches.

Where will this "price database" exist? Just asking. Personally, I just put pen to paper (shopping list) and hit the shops/supermarkets that fit the bill. Experience has taught me where to shop! Fair enough if it's a big purchase... I use Redlaser.

Thanks again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...