UKC

NEWS: Red Bull White Cliffs Drytooling Event

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Oct 2014
Emerging from the cave at the White Cliffs event, 4 kbOn the 18th and 19th October Red Bull hosted the 'White Cliffs' drytooling event on the chalk cliffs of the Isle of Wight. Ten of the world's best ice and alpine climbers speed-climbed their way to the top of the 400ft cliff.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69252
 muppetfilter 24 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Will the next round be held at Millstone ...

Nice to see such a healthy product as Redbull spanking their vast marketing budget on such a responsible climbing event.
 Wft 24 Oct 2014
In reply to muppetfilter:

It's chalk?
 The New NickB 24 Oct 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

> It's chalk?

Is that a question?

It's OK, they bought into the ethical issues with 100% commitment, apparently.

jcm
 birdellis2000 24 Oct 2014

I have to agree. Alum bay is a remote and stunning location, which could have only been exploited by a company such as Red Bull. Regardless of whether the rock is chalk or not, such an event should not have been approved.
 Wft 24 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I take it you'll be putting Mick Fowler and Ian Parnell on CC to any complaint you send to Red Bull then?

I detest what Red bull represent by the by, I just like to have a little balance in my knee jerk, please.
 birdellis2000 24 Oct 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

Touché. I just have issues with the ethos of setting up a top rope for a speed climbing event that contradicts the moral ethic and history of British climbing. Although I don't know the ethics of Mick Fowler's chalk climbing antics, I'm sure he had the kahunas to lead his adventures and pretty sure he didn't set up a top rope for his mates to smack the crag out of afterwords!
 Tom Last 24 Oct 2014
In reply to GuyVG:
Chalk (ha!) and cheese. Parnell and Fowler et al really did give it 100% commitment though. Nothing against any of these climbers whatsoever - they obviously earn their living from it and good luck to them. Red Ball sponsored top-roping of pre-prepped routes on the chalk does catch in the throat a bit though.
Post edited at 22:28
 ColdWill 24 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Looks like good fun though.
 Fruit 25 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

This looks and feels wrong
 The Pylon King 25 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Red Bull

Nuff said
In reply to The Pylon King:

I always wonder who these people are who *don't* hold Red Bull in utter contempt. No-one I know. I suppose they must be the sort of people who like motor racing.

jcm
In reply to GuyVG:

> I take it you'll be putting Mick Fowler and Ian Parnell on CC to any complaint you send to Red Bull then?

Blimey. Did Mick F and Ian P really take part in outdoor speed-dry-tooling competitions? I may have to revise my world view.

jcm
 Wft 25 Oct 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

didn't Mick win the World Cup in Leeds? Then go on to put up Evolution at the Tor? I must be getting confused.

(I'm responding to the idea that it's damaging the 'rock')
In reply to GuyVG:

Oh, sure. My point was more that it's utter toss from any conceivable point of view, but you can tell where other climbers have been too, I grant you.

jcm
CharlesE 25 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I saw Ian Parnell at a supermarket in Aberdeen yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person and congratulated him on his climbng last weekend, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifty snickers in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be busy and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the snickers and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any RFID 'interference',” and then turned around and winked at me. After she scanned each candy bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by saying 'STANDBY' really loudly.

He got to his car outside, opened the door and then just slumped against his car and cried for a minute or so, dropping snickers everywhere.
 Bruce Hooker 25 Oct 2014
In reply to CharlesE:

Sounds like the symptoms of a classic Red Bull poisoning to me... just imagine what it must have done to his brain, not to mention his innards if he actually ate 50 snickers. He should seek medical advice by the sound of it.
 Wft 25 Oct 2014
In reply to CharlesE:

Brilliant!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...