UKC

Denham Quarry - flytipping and safestyle UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JR 28 Oct 2014

Denham Quarry

Credit to Safestyle UK who tell me they have cleared the fly-tipping at Denham Quarry yesterday.

I went on Saturday and cleared up some of the problems, but it was evident that someone had fly-tipped and half burned a load of their marketing material and customer research info - it was a state with paper flying round the quarry in the wind.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26073249/safestyle%20pics/IMG_2513.jpg

I got in touch with their customer services on Saturday and it was supposedly cleared yesterday - so thanks to them for getting on it.

Is anyone local able to go and check it out and send any pics if it's not been cleared up?
Post edited at 09:53
 wilkie14c 28 Oct 2014
In reply to John Roberts (JR):

Tw@ts

good work john. Denham is a favorite venue of mine although I haven't been this year at all. Always a lot of vanadlisum there, graffitii, tipping etc.
IIRC Mark Kemble (?) lives local and a regular there. I think I have his surname wrong but I'm sure he'll see the Denham thread title and click the link.
OP JR 28 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I tidied some of the loose rock and cleaned the greenery a bit, so (the bouldering) should be a bit more climbable for a while.
 wilkie14c 28 Oct 2014

Collins! Mark Collins. Just came to me
 NickJH 31 Oct 2014

Was passing by today so popped in briefly. Unfortunately the fliers/burnt wood is still there near Concave wall. Cleared some of the mess, but quite a lot of the paper is now residing in the pond.
OP JR 31 Oct 2014
In reply to NickJH:

Thanks Nick - did you by any chance get a pic? Ill get back in touch with them.
 NickJH 31 Oct 2014

Sorry - didn't get chance to take a photo, but could probably have a look in next week again if required.
 Mark Collins 31 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Collins! Mark Collins. Just came to me

Sorry, only just spotted this now but looks like its getting sorted so I'll but out. Shame about the abuse Denham gets. You can't beat sitting at the top of Mohammed on a late summer evening, with the soft glow of the setting sun illuminating swallows patrolling the walls for the odd midge.
 wilkie14c 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Mark Collins:
Absolutely.
Wife and I would defiantly be up for a clean-up weekender come the spring, will have to propose it the next BMC area meet
Post edited at 18:48
 goose299 31 Oct 2014

Can try and bob in on Sunday if you want a pic to send safestyle?? It's right by my parents so it's not hard to drop in. Pm me if you do

Always had a soft spot for Denham
 Mark Collins 01 Nov 2014

Went down this morning, but it seems pretty similar to what you photographed to me, except perhaps in a neater pile. I've taken some photos which are waiting on here to be vetted and then I'll post a link to them.

Shame this isn't still in operation:
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/chorley/11392386.Chorley_fly_tipp...
 robin mueller 02 Nov 2014

Doesn't look like they've done anything! We've mentioned this to them on twitter and Facebook (I've linked to your pics).

If anyone feels like adding their voice, here are the links...

https://www.facebook.com/lancashirebouldering.guidebook/posts/1546106578966...

https://mobile.twitter.com/johnrobeds/status/526703846589206529
 wilkie14c 02 Nov 2014
In reply to robin mueller:

I'm free this week and fairly local, would be it fitting for me to bob down and collect the rubbish and dump it in their showroom? If they object I could always tell em to BOGOFF
OP JR 02 Nov 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Thanks for the pics Mark.

I'll get back in touch with them directly tomorrow and will write to the senior team if we get nowhere...
 marsbar 02 Nov 2014

Cant the council fine them?
OP JR 02 Nov 2014

> Doesn't look like they've done anything! We've mentioned this to them on twitter and Facebook (I've linked to your pics).

it looks like they've removed only the waste that contained private customer/marketing data...

They know about this thread too. There's plenty further action that can be taken if it isn't properly sorted out, but lets give them a final chance to go clear it up...
 goose299 03 Nov 2014
> (In reply to robin mueller)
>
> [...]
>
> it looks like they've removed only the waste that contained private customer/marketing data...

That's awful that if they've done half a clean up

The way that Safestyle ( and many other double glazing companies) operate is generally via commission only reps. I guess this may have been dumped by an unsuccessful one who'd left and wanted to get rid of the surplus material - in which case there's naff all chance that Safestyle would do anything about it. However as we've got very good household recycling facilities in the area I'm guessing that this may have come from a window fitters van - as commercial vehicles get charged for using the domestic recycling centre!

I made the mistake of contacting Safestyle for a quote several years ago as we were planning to get some work done. I told them at the outset that it was not something we were going to get done for at least a year, yet were hounded by them on a weekly basis - often with a lower offer if we would commit there and then. It pissed me off so much we ended going with a local manufacturer who gave an excellent service at just as competitive a price.
 Ridge 03 Nov 2014

Have you forwarded the information to the Environment Agency? They have the clout to ensure the material is removed and take action to prosecute if required.
 ByEek 03 Nov 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> The way that Safestyle ( and many other double glazing companies) operate is generally via commission only reps. I guess this may have been dumped by an unsuccessful one who'd left and wanted to get rid of the surplus material

Agreed - but why couldn't they just go to the local tip?

> in which case there's naff all chance that Safestyle would do anything about it.

True - but from a PR point of view it is in their interests to ensure this doesn't happen. I just hope their moto doesn't become "We trash one quarry, we trash another for free!".
OP JR 03 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

They've already been out once to clear half of it up (the customer data) - so they've effectively admitted it's their issue - so let's give them one more chance to sort if before we take it to the Environment Agency. I'm awaiting their response today, if I don't hear back I'll happily refer it to Chorley Council/EA and make their CEO aware.
 deepsoup 03 Nov 2014

A criminal offence has been committed, I think you should make the Environment Agency aware now. If only so it can be properly recorded. Their resources are quite limited, no doubt they'll be happy enough that there's no enforcement action needed on their part if Safestyle want to get a wriggle on and clear up the mess. (And obviously that'll also be a good move on their part from a PR point of view.)
 toad 03 Nov 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

yeah, I'd get the EA involved sooner than later, if only so that the incident gets logged (I doubt they'll take any enforcement action unless there's a track record, but they won't know there's a track record if stuff isn't reported!
 Chris Harris 03 Nov 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> A criminal offence has been committed.

You're not wrong - I've seen some of their adverts.....

OP JR 05 Nov 2014
Safestyle claim all of their material has been cleared.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26073249/safestyle%20pics/Safestyle_DM....

Mark - do you know if they've been back and sorted the remaining mess out, or is it still as it was on Saturday?

In any event the BMC know about it and are potentially going to take it to the council/EA.

Post edited at 15:09
 Mark Collins 05 Nov 2014

Yeah, looks like they've been back John. Although I was a little surprised at what greeted me, most of the bits of wood and metal off the floor have been put into a sort of rusty barrel. Doesn't look like much has changed where the pond is concerned though. I've uploaded some more photos (awaiting vetting). Sorry if they're a bit cr*p as I was fast running out of light, especially as I was stopped by a dog walker who was asking what I was doing. I'll post links as soon as they're available.
 goose299 06 Nov 2014

So they've not really cleaned it all up, they've just tried to make it look a little neater. Tossers.
If it's not cleaned by next week, I'll take one for the team and try to remove it all.

OP JR 06 Nov 2014
In reply to goose299:

Thanks, it's pretty important we let the relevant organisations get on with it for the time being. Safestyle have acknowledged they've been a second time, and they're passing it back to the local branch a 3rd time to get it sorted again, since Mark's update last night. The BMC and Chorley Council are acting on it too.

If it doesn't actually happen, of course it needs clearing up, but we can get a few of us to go down with the local paper if we have to.
 goose299 06 Nov 2014
Ok, no worries
I'll keep an eye on the thread anyway

robin mueller 12 Nov 2014
In reply to goose299:

What's happened with this, does anyone know?
OP JR 12 Nov 2014

The BMC and council have taken it up. Chorley council are reviewing things and are going up there to take a look and hopefully take action on it. The BMC will let me know when they hear back.

Safestyle threw their toys at the pram at me, as they're saying it's a 3rd party damaging their brand, and have blocked me on twitter so we can't communicate anymore! I recognise it probably is a 3rd party that dumped t, but they should still have cleared it up properly the first time. See our DM conversation here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26073249/safestyle%20pics/1.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26073249/safestyle%20pics/2.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26073249/safestyle%20pics/3.png

I'll post up once I've heard back from the council/Rob at the BMC.
 robin mueller 12 Nov 2014
Thanks for the update John, and for making sure it gets sorted.

From the photo evidence, it does seem like Safestyle is behaving poorly, when all they needed to do was tidy up the mess!
Post edited at 14:39
 goose299 12 Nov 2014

I love how they think that someone with a grudge against the company would stick it to them by dumping their leaflets in a quarry.
C'mon, I think this 'nefarious third party' would come up with something much better than that
 wintertree 12 Nov 2014

> it looks like they've removed only the waste that contained private customer/marketing data...

If you have any documentary evidence of this you may wish to pass it on to the Information Commissioners Office. They usually take a keen interest in violations of a companies legal obligations under the Data Protection Act. It doesn't matter if the company itself deposited private date here, or if it was a 3rd party. A breech is a breech.
OP JR 15 Nov 2014

Been down this afternoon and everything had been cleared.

I sorted the final remains of the fire and the road-sign that had been ditched.
 goose299 15 Nov 2014

woohoo finally!! good effort John
 Mark Collins 15 Nov 2014

...persistence prevails. Top work John.
 robin mueller 15 Nov 2014

Well done John!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...