UKC

Misunderstandings about fun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gdnknf 06 Nov 2014

I've seen a number of climbing vids recently showing top climbers climbing routes while having fun. What the videos leave out is the fact that another climber has climbed up first and has already had all the fun. To leave this out is understandable as having fun after someone else has had the fun isn't fun and its not the job of the video to teach that climbing should be fun.

However at the crags there seems to be an increasing number of people who now lead routes while having fun having never climbed up from the ground to have the first fun. They're obviously under the illusion that they're having fun but they're not. A climb means climbing up from the ground and being boring as sin about it - though you can downclimb at any time should you feel like you're having fun. If you climb a route after someone having fun then that is better described as a secondary category fun or fun-ish ascent (even if you have fun leading the upper part of the route).

I'm not blaming anyone here. I can see how this misunderstanding has come about. Even at a crag it may appear that good climbers are having fun. That's because usually once a climber has climbed up, had fun and downclimbed they will leave the fun in place for all of their subsequent climbing attempts that day.

For inexperienced climbers confusion on this issue is understandable. Maybe those of us with more experience need to stop being boring and encourage climbers to have fun.

Fun.
Post edited at 22:30
 Stevie989 06 Nov 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

Mis-understanding a sense of humour.
 Albachoss 06 Nov 2014
In reply to gdnknf:
How do you train to have fun? Should I focus more on Power, Strength or Endurance? What specific non-climbing exercise can I do that will make me an insanely better climber instantly?
Post edited at 22:39
In reply to gdnknf:

Made me chuckle!
In reply to gdnknf:

Im confused
 Scott Quinn 07 Nov 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

Brilliant
The original post made me cringe some people eh!
 petegunn 07 Nov 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

Excellent

Red Point, Flash, Onsight, Beta Flash, Ground Up, Yo Yo, Onsight Flash, Dog, .....

I'd rather just go climbing!
 TonyB 07 Nov 2014
In reply to Albachoss:

> How do you train to have fun?

Given the mantra that the best climber is the one having the most fun, I suspect you have to train very hard.

ByEek 07 Nov 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

Climbing isn't about having fun. It is about ticking routes.
 The Pylon King 07 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> Climbing isn't about having fun. It is about ticking routes.

Round here its just about ticks.
 ByEek 07 Nov 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

Now that is a pure form.
 mike123 07 Nov 2014
In reply to gdnknf:
sorry but your just not specific enough about which type of fun ? for instance I had some type 1 fun at the wall yesterday, followed by some type 2 afterwards. I also had some type 2 this morning and hope to be having some type 3 later. I only understand fun if its given a very specific rating, otherwise its just... well...not fun
 JamButty 07 Nov 2014
In reply to petegunn:
> (In reply to gdnknf)
>
> Excellent
>
> Red Point, Flash, Onsight, Beta Flash, Ground Up, Yo Yo, Onsight Flash, Dog, .....
>
I don't understand most of these terms. Can someone start a new thread for each one and explain in detail how I'm supposed to climb to meet each criteria. Its very important.

tony 07 Nov 2014
In reply to mike123:

> sorry but your just not specific enough about which type of fun ? for instance I had some type 1 fun at the wall yesterday, followed by some type 2 afterwards. I also had some type 2 this morning and hope to be having some type 3 later. I only understand fun if its given a very specific rating, otherwise its just... well...not fun

You say that, but what grading scheme were you using? We need to know if it was good old proper British fun, or some imported foreign muck.
Removed User 07 Nov 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

Are you saying sloppy seconds can't be fun?
cb294 07 Nov 2014
In reply to JamButty:

> I don't understand most of these terms. Can someone start a new thread for each one and explain in detail how I'm supposed to climb to meet each criteria. Its very important.

Just pick ten random threads from the last few years. Your sample will contain at least two threads that will discuss these terms in exquisite detail.

More important would be a proper classification of fun, and an offical fun/difficulty conversion table, separating technical fun and psychological fun.

CB
 mike123 07 Nov 2014
In reply to tony:

> You say that, but what grading scheme were you using? We need to know if it was good old proper British fun, or some imported foreign muck.

hum, let me have a think........<thinks for about 3 seconds>

i think......foreign muck.....yep ,definitely imported foreign muck
 Furzy Sleight 07 Nov 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

Fun is good but i don't want to watch boring videos of climbers having fun. I want to watch videos of climbers doing dangerous things and being VERY VERY SCARED.
 Kevster 07 Nov 2014
In reply to Furzy Sleight:

I recomend watching a video of someobe redpointin a chop route ground up.
They will doo it in good style, and they will be terrified for their ankles. Or so I am led to believe.
In reply to gdnknf:

Now I am confused, I thought I was having fun but no am not sure because this suggests that my fun is not the right kind of fun. Is fun not fun or do I need to understand secret special way to have fun, and I am required to then grade that fun and log it for others to judge my fun in a knowing way.

Very confused. Is indoor fun the same as outdoor fun? Can I still wear my hat?
 Graham Hoey 08 Nov 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

Can we have a proper grading system?

perhaps F1, F2 F3 or maybe have Funt grades?

Graham
 Steve nevers 08 Nov 2014
In reply to Graham Hoey:
> (In reply to gdnknf)
>
> Can we have a proper grading system?
>
> perhaps F1, F2 F3 or maybe have Funt grades?
>
> Graham

but how does Funt translate to the Mirth system?

mountainbagger 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Steve nevers:

Funt to Mirth is relatively straightforward.

F8 is roughly equivalent to M10c, the letter representing the level of irony.

Difficult to translate to the American LOL system though.
 Michael Hood 09 Nov 2014
In reply to mountainbagger: American LOL system doesn't include irony or sarcasm which is covered by the DWS grading (dastardly wicked sarcasm).
 KellyKettle 09 Nov 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

I prefer type 3 fun, am I allowed to call myself a climber or may I only term myself a masochist?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...