UKC

watch out bolt thief about

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 solomonkey 20 Nov 2014
Noticed some more lower off ring bolts stolen at Northwales crag on Sunday , they were definitely there 2 Weeks ago so very recent ! ,
In the past I have noticed other people complain about thefts at a55 crags and it's always about the same time that other local crags get hit !
Me and my mates have plans underway to catch out the culprit but please keep your eyes out for dodgy characters possibly leaving the crag just as you arrive !
 Stevie989 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

must be a climber surely? Not worth the effort other wise (even if a climber!).
 Sl@te Head 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

Which crag / routes were they stolen from?
OP solomonkey 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

It doesn't matter really I have ordered replacements , just keep your eyes peeled and ear to to ground - just a matter of time till there caught in the act !
 Otis 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

Surely it does matter? Others might be interested in knowing which climbs don't currently have lower offs before they leave the ground.

Why the secrecy on this one? I'm baffled!
In reply to Otis:

Why not tell us which crag? Give us a clue which areas to monitor, which routes might not be safe?

Maybe there is a legitimate reason why the lower offs have been removed - is this by any chance a "banned" crag we are talking about?
 Sl@te Head 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:
It matters to me as I've spent a lot of my own money equipping many routes and crags in North Wales including some crags in the A55 corridor. If you could either let us all now which crag / routes on here or please send me a private email.

Thanks for reporting this, and for trying to sort it out, it's appreciated,.
Post edited at 10:10
 Bruce Hooker 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

The Bolt Bandit strikes again!

Bolters beware, he has no limits.
OP solomonkey 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Otis:

No need to be baffled , you can clearly see from the ground .
In reply to Sl@te Head:

They were off routes that a friend of mine bolted and I have sorted the
replacements, just a heads up too keep an eye out , impossible to be everywhere at the same time but a guy told me he once got to a local crag noticed a stranger on his own with a rope who then quickly left , a few routes later he noticed 2 lower offs missing ! He said if he was on the ball he would of noticed straight away and confronted him .
In reply to Colza:

> just a heads up too keep an eye out , impossible to be everywhere at the same time

Which is why it would be good to know what crag we are talking about!

>he would of noticed straight away and confronted him

And said /done what?

goose299 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

Bit shift of you not wanting to realise the crag/route details
Are you the bolt thief?
 drolex 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> >he would of noticed straight away and confronted him

> And said /done what?

"Nice rope you have here! Enjoy your day!" I guess.

Oh wait he was a stranger - these bloody strangers with their damn ropes, always leaving the crags! Grrrr.
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

Perhaps yet another reason to move on to glue-ins?
 johnnorman 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

I must say it is a bit strange that you won`t name the crag ?
Surely it would be better for people to know ?
Perhaps you don`t want anyone to know who you are ?
In reply to johnnorman:

Chill the fook out ! It Really makes no difference to you or anyone else other than it's in north Wales and that last year and the year before lots of north Wales crags were hit at the same time I,e pennman head , ty newed , llanddulas , e,c,t ,,,,,,,,, once again , all that remains to be said is KEEP A LOOK OUT for people absailng from trees down sports routes on there own or other wise
In reply to Colza:
>>Really makes no difference to you or anyone else

If it makes no difference, satisfy our curiosity and name the crag !

or at least give us an idea of area - Anglesey, Penmaenbach, Ormes, Llysfaen/Llanddulas, Dyserth etc.
Post edited at 21:19
 d_b 21 Nov 2014

Milestone buttress.

Like I said , Anglesey , penmeanbach , orms , Llanddulas , dyserth e,c,t
Now do I have to spell it out ? already that could just be a handy list for the scumbags ! Just Keep an eye out .
In reply to goose299:

> Are you the bolt thief?

Do you live under a bridge ?
In reply to Colza:

Yes please, spell out which crag has already been targeted (rather than just listing a wide range of areas) then the thief will know we are definitely onto him.

I don't see how listing well known climbing crags will provide a list for scumbags that the UKC "Find a Crag" doesn't already provide.
 Sl@te Head 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

If you let us know which crags / routes then I / we could head out to those crags and araldite the maillons on the lower offs.
 jim jones 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

> Like I said , Anglesey , penmeanbach , orms , Llanddulas , dyserth e,c,t

> Now do I have to spell it out ? already that could just be a handy list for the scumbags ! Just Keep an eye out .

Curious thing to say, I'd have thought anyone stealing from already very well documented areas; probably owns a guidebook or two already. They would know exactly where to go to steal equipment.
Removed User 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

If you're not going to name the crag GTFO and go back to climbing I reckon. Suggesting we 'keep an eye out' for 'dodgy characters' across north wales is laughable. Good luck confronting every soloer who happens to be leaving as you're arriving at your secret crag!
In reply to Removed User:

Yeah ok , cheers for that ?¿
In reply to jim I find your comment more curious ?
 jim jones 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

Well try looking at it this way; if car thefts are occurring at a crag, the climbing community normally circulates the information as to which crags climbers are at risk of having their cars, rucksacks etc stolen from. Historically we all know the areas which are a problem but it's good to be aware of an area which thieves targeting. I just find it curious you are reluctant to be forthcoming about the crag(s).

> I just find it curious you are reluctant to be forthcoming about the crag(s).

Not curious, Suspicious!

The only reason I can think of not to reveal the location of the crag which his friend has bolted is that it has been bolted either without the landowners knowledge or deliberately without their permission/consent.

Or there's a new crag which no-one else knows about that they want to keep private..... which will make it a bit difficult for us all to monitor for suspicious activity.
Post edited at 23:35
 jim jones 21 Nov 2014
> Not curious, Suspicious!

> The only reason I can think of not to reveal the location of the crag which his friend has bolted is that it has been bolted either without the landowners knowledge or deliberately without their permission/consent.

> Or there's a new crag which no-one else knows about that they want to keep private..... which will make it a bit difficult for us all to monitor for suspicious activity.

Yes, and if so why not just say so?
 damowilk 22 Nov 2014
In reply to jim jones:
Looking at the OP's sparse posting history, is it actually a dry tooling venue that not all locally would approve of?

OP solomonkey 22 Nov 2014

Er yeah ok your right , end of .
In reply to jim jones:

Why do you need to know so bad , is it a crag you may not know about ?
If so , good !
In reply to damowilk:

Yeah you guessed it , now as it doesn't really matter , end of .
Just keep an eye out at your local crags ,
In reply to Colza:

>as it doesn't really matter

It obviously does to you !!
In reply to Colza:

What's it the f*cking end of?
In reply to Sally Bustyerface:

Perhaps it's a sly reference to the crag's location - at the End Of Great Orme maybe?

Wow - swearing - end of that
 Stevie989 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

If it's a dry tooling venue that doesn't have wide spread approval then it's no great mystery why lower offs have been removed.

Has it been retro bolted?
In reply to Stevie989:

No it has not, almost the opposite !
 d_b 22 Nov 2014

> What's it the f*cking end of?

"End Of" is a well known contraction of the phrase "I am a bell[end of] enormous proportions". Didn't you know?

jim jones 22 Nov 2014
In reply to damowilk:

The sparse history
> Looking at the OP's sparse posting history, is it actually a dry tooling venue that not all locally would approve of?

Or maybe even a trad crag? As you say the sparse history maybe tells a tale(?).
 jim jones 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

So in brief, your post is a warning to check for bolt thefts at a crag we don't know about although it's a local crag. How are we expected to know if it's not someone replacing lower offs, or bolting a new line/crag? Like I said curious and curiouser. Unless of course you are bolting a new secret trad venue, (it's not that big black cliff about half way up Snowdon is it?).
 Skipinder 22 Nov 2014
In reply to jim jones:

The Logbook for Cloggy now has The Indian Face graded at f8a+

LOL
 jim jones 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Lawrence:

Probably worth a go dry tooling it now if we get a decent winter then!
 goose299 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

Oh yeh, and whilst you're all at it, watch out for that car on that road. you know, the tarmac'd one
 Skipinder 22 Nov 2014
In reply to jim jones:

The National Trust have painted it white so I guess it's now in.
 JLS 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:
What I wonder is what exactly would you do with lower-off rings once you've stolen them???
Put them on top of a route you'd just bolted??? - If that's the case, it's ironic the thievin' bar steward would actually be a net contributor to the climbing community and due more credit than the masses that have never bought a single bolt in their life!
Post edited at 18:59
In reply to davidbeynon:
Yeah cheers , that's great that !
Now do us all a favour a go crawl back under your bridge .
 d_b 22 Nov 2014
In reply to JLS:
If it was the trad police we would know about it due to a 1000 post thread.
If they actually were nicked by a non climber they would have turned up on ebay by now.

Far more likely that the landowner had them removed and is waiting for Colza to come back so he can find out who has been tresspassing and bolting his quarry.
Post edited at 19:20
 d_b 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

As I'm not the one who has turned up from nowhere, made unsubstantiated claims about theft and then insulted everyone who has tried to find out ore information I think it's safe to say that I'm not the one trolling.
In reply to Colza:

Are you on meth?? Name the crag/location or delete this drivel.
 jim jones 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

As much as I hate to admit it I think he's going for a posting record. There seems no point in publishing a warning for an unspecified location. And I know I've just contributed more drivel but I guess it could actually be a super-troll?
In reply to jim jones:

A super troll!!! Dear god!!
 d_b 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Super trolls only need to post once. Returning to the scene is bad form.
 nufkin 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

> In reply to Stevie989:

> No it has not, almost the opposite !

What is the opposite of retro bolting?
In reply to nufkin:

?? Possibly the Re-bolting of a crag which had historic bolted routes that had been lost over time
(or had the bolts removed by the landowners due to climbing being banned)?
OP solomonkey 23 Nov 2014
In reply to jim jones:
Whatever you recon Jim
OP solomonkey 23 Nov 2014
In reply to nufkin:

What's the opposite of trolling ? Good look with that one - I'm off out the mountains for the day
 aln 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

It's not you it's them.
In reply to Colza:

>I'm off out the mountains

Great. Have fun.
Let us know when you've replaced the lower offs so we'll all know it's safe to climb at unknown crags again......
 Morgan Woods 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

> once again , all that remains to be said is KEEP A LOOK OUT for people absailng from trees down sports routes on there own or other wise

Or otherwise what? I need closure on this threat!
 goose299 23 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

this
 Kid Spatula 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

What a bizarre thread. Of course people want to know which crag it is. It's bloody weird not to tell period.
 Goucho 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Colza:

I think I know who it is?

Unfortunately I can't tell you his name, because it isn't important.

However, he is currently helping police with their inquiries regarding the recent theft of the painting of the Fallen Madonna with the big boobies!
Removing the lower offs, which the OP States are clearly visible from the ground , to me sends out a message that whoever is doing so does not want theses routes climbed rather than being a magpie collecting shiney objects to pop in the nest.

Sounds like an access issue rather than theft.

Not the most well thought out public service announcement I have seen on UKC.

OP suffering from tongue a tad ahead of brain perhaps?
Post edited at 15:17
OP solomonkey 18 Dec 2014
In reply to taddersandbadger
I think you really need to wind your neck in ! ;-/ there is no access problems , it is not drytooling and there is no longer any bolts missing , cheers
In reply to Colza:
Well chatterbox, if you are going to continue to be so cagey about it, then you have got to expect us to speculate
Me thinks the L plate next to your user name on this forum is well justified.
Post edited at 17:57
In reply to jim jones:

Sadly Jim, I fear you are right, I have been sucked in too, what a waste of heartbeats!
I herby declare total disinterest in this thread and am off down my local wall to pull some plastic.

If this plonker genuinely came on here to drum up some support to catch some crims that were damaging part of our precious communal climbing heritage, he has not done himself or the greater clmbing community any favours, instead just wasted our time. Ho hum.....
andyathome 18 Dec 2014
In reply to JLS:
> Put them on top of a route you'd just bolted??? - If that's the case, it's ironic the thievin' bar steward would actually be a net contributor to the climbing community

So stealing gear from existing routes (which will be replaced) to equip new routes is really a win/win situation and contributes to the spread of sport routes. Great.
Post edited at 19:00
andyathome 18 Dec 2014
In reply to nufkin:

> What is the opposite of retro bolting?

Retro tradding.

Its been tried at Castle Inn in the past.
 stp 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Kid Spatula:

It is a bizarre thread. It's pretty clear from very early on Colza didn't want to say which crag for whatever reason but since then that's the only thing people have gone about: for something 50 posts now! Some people have turned quite nasty about it and others have even made the absurd claim he/she is a troll. So yes a bizarre thread indeed.

All he/she is saying is if you're at a N Wales sports crag just be aware that this might be happening. Simple and thank you Colza for raising awareness of this issue.
 d_b 18 Dec 2014
In reply to stp:

Colza is your trolling account* AICMFP.

*We all have one don't we?
In reply to stp:

> All he/she is saying is if you're at a N Wales sports crag just be aware that this might be happening. Simple and thank you Colza for raising awareness of this issue.

But this ISN'T raising awareness.
Anyone sport climbing regularly in North Wales is well aware there have been bolt thefts over the past couple of years.

To have any chance of getting to the bottom of the problem we need to get a pattern of where / when thefts are occurring, not just a "heads up" that some bolts may have been removed somewhere in a 50 mile radius.
In reply to Sl@te Head:

If these have been stolen from a crag, why not go to a local police station and ask if any crags have reported a theft?
Removed User 19 Dec 2014
In reply to stp:

Perhaps you should consider if there's 50 posts now and all of them are asking the same question/requesting the same info then the person in the wrong is the OP. And you.
 yarbles 20 Dec 2014
In reply to Colza:

Bump!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...