UKC

Any Photoshop experts in the room?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 23 Nov 2014

My other half wants to paint the kitchen ceiling but she can not visualise the end result. The ceiling is suspended wood tongue and groove and she wants to paint it over.

If I took a photo of the kitchen, as-is, would somebody be able to explain how I could use Photoshop to change a wood colour ceiling to another colour without changing anything else?
Post edited at 14:12
 Skipinder 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Just remember to paint over the washing machine
In reply to The Lemming:

Several ways of doing this, but fastest is just to use the 'magic wand' selection tool, trying different tolerances until it selects just what you want. Then create a layer mask using that selection so that you can alter the colour on that alone. (Either Color or Hue/Saturation)
OP The Lemming 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Thanks for the tip.

I'll give it a go after I've took the pooch out for a wander.

Cheers

AymanC 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd use the 'replace colour' tool.
The wand can be fiddley and take ages to get clean.

Use the polygon marquee selection thing, to quickly select the ceiling area.
Then choose Image>Adjustment>Replace colour.

It's very easy to change hue and brightness etc.
If you use the '+ eyedropper' you can click on different areas to keep adding ranges of colour until the black and white selection image shows you what you want.
Hope that makes sense
interdit 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Upload a photo here
https://www.dulux.co.uk/colours/mousepainter/

or view in real time here
https://www.dulux.co.uk/app/
 Tom Last 23 Nov 2014
In reply to interdit:

Useful tool.

Or otherwise if you do do it in PS, take a screen grab of the colour you want from website of whatever paint you envisage, open the jpeg in PS and select the colour with the eyedropper tool.
 d_b 01 Dec 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

The problem with Photoshop is that inter reflections & light scattering means that changing the colour of a ceiling makes a huge difference to the appearance of the rest of the room.

If you are feeling ambitious then modelling the room in a 3D package with lighting simulation is the way to go... When I used to work on 3D rendering/lighting software some of our big customers were doing kitchen design tools.

If you don't feel that ambitious then just bear in mind that it will have a disproportionate effect on the rest of the room.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...