UKC

REVIEW: Performance Rock Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 02 Dec 2014
Rock Shoe Test, 5 kbWe test 8 of the best rock shoes out there - from Five Ten, Scarpa, La Sportiva and Evolv through to Tenaya, Boreal, Edelrid and Rock Pillars.

Some you might know, some you might not - but which did we score the highest? And which were the most expensive?

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6693

peterp 02 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Bit of a bizarre selection of shoes given the title of the piece..?!
 Arms Cliff 02 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

I have to agree with the above, I think it would make more sense to have a series of reviews splitting shoes into categories (downturned, edging, all day trad, etc). That way people could actually see what might suit them best in each category.
Removed User 02 Dec 2014
In reply to peterp:

Totally strange right? No instincts, miuras or solutions, zero slippers?

Also, who the hell are Rock Pillars and who uses their shoes enough for them to be chucked in with the others in a comparison of the 'best rock shoes'?!
 3 Names 02 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

I think a realistic comparison of rock shoes is virtually impossible, Considering the individual fit of a shoe will probably make the biggest difference to performance?

What might be rubbish for you, could be perfect for me.
 Andy Hardy 02 Dec 2014
In reply to 3 Names:

^^^This^^^
 PPP 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Removed User:

You have to keep in mind that they test whatever they get from manufacturer/retailer/distributor. Hence, that's the comparison.

But it does not make sense to compare Evolv Shamans with something flat, like Pinks. Hence, it does not compare anything!
 henwardian 02 Dec 2014
In reply to 3 Names:

> I think a realistic comparison of rock shoes is virtually impossible, Considering the individual fit of a shoe will probably make the biggest difference to performance?

This.

I also particularly disagree with the idea that shoes can in any way ranked according to comfort. I've heard people claim that Solutions are the most comfortable shoe they have ever worn, last time I tried to put one on, it had to be surgically removed from my unconscious form after I fainted from the pain. One mans pain is another mans paradise and comfort is always in the toe of the wearer.
 SGD 02 Dec 2014
Its interesting comparing this review, with this review.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Climbing-Shoe-Reviews
 Aigen 03 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Thanks for the review. Are these really the price of rock shoes nowadays. I have 2-3 pairs which I have been resoling for years. Really 120 quid for a pair of shoes?
 nufkin 03 Dec 2014
In reply to Aigen:

> 120 quid for a pair of shoes?

You don't cycle, I take it
 Aigen 03 Dec 2014
In reply to nufkin:

I use a bike for commuting. Are road biking shoes expensive as well?
 Mike Mead 03 Dec 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Rock Pillars are big in Germany, and with me
If they fit best and make you feel invincible, they're your shoes. End of. Brand or origin shouldn't come into it.
 Ramon Marin 03 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

I'm sorry but this is a crap review, a lot of the major "performance" players are missing. And what about the rubber compound, wearibality, value for money... (major concern nowadays fro the cost of shoes). I love my Katana lace ups, best shoes I've ever tried, but rubber does peel off. Inside knowledge like that is what reviews are for. The heel on the pinks sorted now?.. Evolvs rubber compound is miles off still, what about the Zenith rubber, is it the new sliced bread or not? How does it wear... I mean I'm no tester myself, but this review is so superficial. I would expect a lot more answers....
 nufkin 03 Dec 2014
In reply to Aigen:

> Are road biking shoes expensive as well?

It's certainly best not to have a mouthful of coffee when you look at the shoe wall in your local bike shop
 TobyA 03 Dec 2014
In reply to nufkin:

> It's certainly best not to have a mouthful of coffee when you look at the shoe wall in your local bike shop

Although Wiggles own brand dhb ones are cheap and work perfectly well. I guess Decathlons own brand climbing shoes are the only similar comparison in climbing but they really don't fit my feet currently.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...