UKC

**Climbing harness maintenance survey**

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BenClark 03 Dec 2014

Hi guys, I am currently completing a research project which will enable me to complete my degree in Outdoor Education. The research is about climbing harness maintenance.
If you currently own a climbing harness, it would be great if you could spare a couple of minutes to fill out the following questionnaire.
Thank you!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YPYKWXH
Post edited at 15:49
 Ushuaia 03 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

done - good luck
 angry pirate 03 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

Done
In reply to BenClark:

I completed the survey hoping to be annoyed by it. But I wasn't, so well done.
 RichardP 03 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

Done
cb294 03 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

Done,

cb
In reply to BenClark:

Done the survey - very straightforward - good luck.
By pure chance I was climbing with someone I met at the wall and when doing the buddy check before climbing I noticed that his harness had wear indicators which intrigued me. My 10 yr old harness hasn't got any even though it seems fine. I might think about replacing it after this survey. As a matter of interest is there a recommended life for harnesses based on deterioration rather than obvious damage?
 Dave Garnett 03 Dec 2014
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

You mean there are actual things called wear indicators, rather than just indications of wear? Damn, that'll be another one I got wrong.
 Dave Garnett 03 Dec 2014
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:
> (In reply to BenClark)
> As a matter of interest is there a recommended life for harnesses based on deterioration rather than obvious damage?

Well, I've realised mine's probably 20 years old but no manufacturer is going to run the risk of saying that as long as it hasn't been left out in the sun, had battery acid split on it or has signs of abrasion it's probably OK, are they?
 dagibbs 03 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

Primary type of climbing is missing some options...

Top-roping outside. (Yes, I have friends for which that is their primary type of climbing.)
Mountaineering.
Free-soloing.
DWS.

Sure, you can argue that free-solo and DWS don't use a harness -- but you do have bouldering on your list already.
In reply to BenClark:
After a quick reality check I now realise that I was a decade out in my estimate of the age of my harness. Santa is now on his way to JBrown's emporium of delights to replace my ageing nappy with a new one! Are you on commission to the climbing shops?
In reply to BenClark:

Age groupings are not good! I just crept into an older bugger section by 12 months!
 lowersharpnose 03 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

I completed a questionnaire. I don't normally manage to get down to the bottom without getting cross at the questions. I wanted a 'I don't know' option or at least broader ranges for harness life estimates.

Best of luck.
 gethin_allen 04 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

Good to see a survey that will actually provide easily interpretable data at the end, ie, do we climbers know anything about the gear we rely on, rather than the wish washy crap with a million answers that could be interpreted a million ways ad will have absolutely no statistical significance that we normally get.
 fire_munki 04 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

Done, I'd be interested to see the results too.
 Offwidth 04 Dec 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Change it Dave.... UV and rubbing against rock both significantly weaken webbing and a harness is not so expensive that anyone needs to struggle to afford a new one. I've snapped sun damaged webbing that looked OKish with my hands so think on the forces involved in leadfalls. I'd also like tips from you as I need a new harness every three years or so as I trash the double-backed legloop adjusters (but maybe its because I climb a few too many thrutchy clefts).
 gethin_allen 04 Dec 2014
In reply to Offwidth:
"I trash the double-backed legloop adjusters (but maybe its because I climb a few too many thrutchy clefts)."

I also trash the webbing where it passes through the leg loop buckles. it's just because it sticks out there and has a pard surface to press against. On my latest harness I added a wrap of cordura fabric around the area with just a quick tack of thread to hold it in place. This take the worst of the wear and the important stuff is safe underneath.

The Ivanator 04 Dec 2014
In reply to wrapped in bacon:

I avoided the same fate by 4 months, so loved the age grade bands ...good work.
 John Kelly 04 Dec 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

I've only ever heard of one harness failure, Todd Skinner in states, but his harness was really 'tired' visibly to others - not sure, for anyone exercising reasonable caution, harness failure is a significant risk - just spotted a second instance (BMC report) but it was contamination which could happen to a brand new unit
OP BenClark 04 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

If anyone would like to see the results drop me an email. It will be a few months yet though!

Thanks for all the comments
 Diggler 04 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

Done
 Otis 04 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

Done. Quick and easy that one
 67hours 04 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

Refreshingly simple. Good luck! Makes me question the safety of my harness too. Maybe this is just a big psychology experiment in disguise...
 henwardian 05 Dec 2014
In reply to BenClark:

Done
Congratulations on creating a survey that is well worded, easy to fill out and requires no head scratching or picking sub-optimal answers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...