UKC

Jetboil vs MSR reactor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jwhepper 03 Dec 2014
Anyone got a jetboil/msr reactor? Looking for a lighter cooker as I currently use a trangia. It's great for car camping/short walking trips but quite heavy and bulky.

What're your opinions/experiences of the two?

Thanks!
 Indy 03 Dec 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

MSR a bit agricultural but does the job.
In reply to jwhepper:

I've been using the jetboil sol for just over a year I can't really fault it beside the piss poor lid, its light works very well boils in 2mins and its really compact, I've just sold a 1L Reactor as its more suited to alpine use melting snow and just not as useful overall and Im not sure there's much need for the 1L Version now that the new msr windboiler is available unless you must have the coolest looking kit and the fastest boil !?

I've just picked up the New Msr Windboiler which appears to be the dugs danglies
Well made lid and cup work well little bit heavier but great in a wind if its half as good as my jetboil sol has been I'll be delighted first try 2moz.

Andy Nisbet 03 Dec 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

I have a Reactor. It's incredibly quick at boiling, which is great for many things (especially melting snow), but not so good for simmering. But I think it's great.
needvert 03 Dec 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

Its amazing how crap the Sol's lid is, its pretty good aside from that. The windboiler sure looks interesting, never used one but that would be my top contender if weight wasn't the priority, as someone who mostly just heats water on the stove.
 nufkin 03 Dec 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

This thread about the Windboiler might be worth a read:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=602042
 Kai 04 Dec 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

Jetboils have problems with wind. Performance drops way off with any amount of breeze.

OP jwhepper 08 Dec 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

Cheers everyone, having had a look at both in cotswolds I think the windboiler is the way to go!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...