UKC

UKC photo ranking formula

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 04 Dec 2014

I wonder what the formula is for UKC photo ranking in terms of total number of votes and average vote. Maybe someone from UKC could tell me. In particular, I've been wondering under what conditions a vote of a given value would increase or decrease the ranking. Note that this is an entirely geeky musing out of mathematical interest rather than a desire to vote tactically or vindictively (I generally vote 5 for photos I love and don't vote at all otherwise).
Post edited at 00:06
In reply to Robert Durran:

I've always assumed, perhaps naively, that the top rankings are based purely on the number of 5 star votes a picture gets, irrespective of lower rankings.
 Padraig 04 Dec 2014

(I generally vote 5 for photos I love and don't vote at all otherwise).

Not strictly true...
(65% superb - 9% good - 7% average - 6% poor - 10% rubbish)

Altho why I care I'm not sure? Bored/time on my hands I suppose? I'm with Gordon re votes BTW.
OP Robert Durran 04 Dec 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> I've always assumed, perhaps naively, that the top rankings are based purely on the number of 5 star votes a picture gets, irrespective of lower rankings.

No, if you look at the weekly top ten it says "The 'ranking' is calculated from the average rating of photos in each gallery, as well as the total number of votes made" and the top ten are in order of ranking.

In reply to Padraig:
> Not strictly true...
> (65% superb - 9% good - 7% average - 6% poor - 10% rubbish)

That is historical. I've made a conscious decision fairly recently to resist the temptation to vote negatively however much I hate a photo and I've never voted for photos which are just downright poor by any standards.

I thought you were talking about top pictures rather than top galleries.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

>
> I thought you were talking about top pictures rather than top galleries.

I am talking about top pictures, but sorry, yes, you are right, the line I quoted does refer to galleries. But individual photos have rankings which are not necessarily whole numbers so are presumably not just a 5 vote count.

Post edited at 01:35
 Padraig 04 Dec 2014

I've never voted for photos which are just downright poor by any standards

The stats say otherwise I'm afraid.
In reply to Padraig:
>
> I've never voted for photos which are just downright poor by any standards
>
> The stats say otherwise I'm afraid.

No they don't. The low votes were for photos I personally hated; they may well have been technically brilliant and loved by others, but simply weren't my cup of tea.

> I wonder what the formula is for UKC photo ranking in terms of total number of votes and average vote. Maybe someone from UKC could tell me. In particular, I've been wondering under what conditions a vote of a given value would increase or decrease the ranking. Note that this is an entirely geeky musing out of mathematical interest rather than a desire to vote tactically or vindictively (I generally vote 5 for photos I love and don't vote at all otherwise).

I'm afraid that we aren't able to answer that question at the moment. It was designed by Nick Smith and he isn't involved with the site any more. It is quite complicated and I haven't yet asked Paul to figure it out since we have so many other things that need doing.

Alan
 Fraser 04 Dec 2014

> I've made a conscious decision fairly recently to resist the temptation to vote negatively however much I hate a photo and I've never voted for photos which are just downright poor by any standards.

You'd not be voting 'negatively', you'd just giving it a lower vote than a 5 or presumably, in your own case, a 3. Personally, I don't see the point in voting for anything, if you don't vote across the full range of scores. My scoring range is: 3% superb - 22% good - 53% average - 17% poor - 3% rubbish.
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> I'm afraid that we aren't able to answer that question at the moment. It was designed by Nick Smith and he isn't involved with the site any more. It is quite complicated and I haven't yet asked Paul to figure it out since we have so many other things that need doing.

If you give me some data (maybe the number of votes of each value and the ranking) for, say 15 photos, I'd like to have fun trying to work it out for you!

In reply to Fraser:

> You'd not be voting 'negatively', you'd just giving it a lower vote than a 5 or presumably, in your own case, a 3. Personally, I don't see the point in voting for anything, if you don't vote across the full range of scores.

I wouldn't consider voting 1 for a photo which any sane person would consider rubbish as negative voting. What I meant was voting 1 for a photo which I personally dislike because of it's "style", such as enhanced colours which other people might like; I don't do this any more because it just seems petty. I don't see why just voting 5 for great photos which I like is pointless at all.
 Fraser 04 Dec 2014

> I wouldn't consider voting 1 for a photo which any sane person would consider rubbish as negative voting. What I meant was voting 1 for a photo which I personally dislike because of it's "style", such as enhanced colours which other people might like;

Gottcha.

> I don't do this any more because it just seems petty. I don't see why just voting 5 for great photos which I like is pointless at all.

Because it skews the relative stats.
In reply to Fraser:

> Because it skews the relative stats.

I don't think it skews any stats at all unless there is some voting pattern (presumably voting for all photos and in a particular ratio of scores) which everyone is supposed to stick to. I'm sure everyone has their own voting habits though, so there is not really anything to skew.

Jim C 26 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

No need to figure it out , just post the formula, ( and they will criticise it to death

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...