UKC

VIDEO:The Four Pillars of Lofoten

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Dec 2014
The four pillars, 5 kbIn this video by Hidden Valley Films, Norway's stunning Lofoten islands are shown-off with spectacular footage of prominent granite pillars set between green hillsides, surrounded by sea and fjord. Watch as two climbers make a voyage of discovery to these magical islands.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69365
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

That really is an excellent and evocative bit of filming - and an impressive few days of climbing.

Of course Stetind isn't on Lofoten - but that doesn't spoil the story,

Chris
 Fraser 11 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

10/10. Very enjoyable.
 mes32 11 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Stunning film, and brought back some happy memories of Vestpillaren and Stetind from an amazing trip last year. When can I go back?!
 Bossys gran 11 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant film!! Went a few years ago. Probably the best place I've ever climbed. Pristine granite, it doesn't get any better.
 TobyA 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Of course Stetind isn't on Lofoten -

Nor is it on an island! But yes, beyond the minor poetic license - fantastic film. The guys obviously know what they are doing, but I think I'd want to be wearing a helmet on the looser bits of some of the routes.

Is there a proper topo of the French Pillar these days? If not, they could maybe draw one to give the rest of us mortals some idea as to whether we stood a chance on the route!

Great film - brings back happy memories. It never rains when I go up there! (Well, almost never...)
In reply to TobyA:

> Is there a proper topo of the French Pillar these days? If not, they could maybe draw one to give the rest of us mortals some idea as to whether we stood a chance on the route!

I have been in contact Robb Ellender today although he says they did it in the summer of 2013 so his memory is a bit hazy. Also, he confirms what anyone who has looked at that bit of rock suspects - the French Pillar shares a lot of climbing with The Next Best Things and Norwegian Sheep Ranch. He is working on something though so I will post what we find.

Alan
 HeMa 11 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> Is there a proper topo of the French Pillar these days? If not, they could maybe draw one to give the rest of us mortals some idea as to whether we stood a chance on the route!

I was chattin' with one swedish lad, who had climbed the french pillar or so. He said, that basically the whole "pillar" goes free at 6+ or so for nearly every meter of it.
 Doug 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Nice film, and now I know where the beach & fantastic looking crag that I camped on as a boy scout back in the 70s was! (we climbed to the summit by the skyline ridge above what is now the French pillar after a 'night' camping on the beach. I suspect the crag was unclimbed then
 Robert Durran 11 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Nice, but he could have sounded a bit more cheerful about it all.
 Doghouse 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Great little film, really enjoyed that
Removed User 11 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

How great to have music in the background, with a mood which fits the subject...
 iksander 12 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Needs dub stepsoundtrack and jumpy editing, otherwise fine
 Kemics 12 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I'm glad the showed the frustration of camping in the rain waiting for a weather window. My overwhelming memory of Norway is sitting in the rain playing cards
 Mr. Lee 13 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Definite plural form would make it 'Fire Pillarene'.

Back to the edit suite boys...
 jon_gill1 16 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

What a great little film,so inspiring! Thinking I might have to go there soon........keep dreaming!
 allarms 16 Dec 2014
In reply to iksander:

> Needs dub stepsoundtrack and jumpy editing, otherwise fine

If I'm honest I would actually agree. I couldn't get more than a few minutes in because of the constant emotive/descriptive rubbish. I had to stop!

Do you actually believe some of the stuff you are saying? A picture speaks a thousand words so I don't want your poetic nonsense describing the scene and what your doing. Isn't part of film making getting that from the shots anyway?

I'm now going to watch this in mute and play some music over it and see if I can make it past my high point.

I think I might be grumpy today
 Robert Durran 16 Dec 2014
In reply to allarms:

> If I'm honest I would actually agree. I couldn't get more than a few minutes in because of the constant emotive/descriptive rubbish. I had to stop!

> I think I might be grumpy today.

You would probably be well advised not to watch the Arcteryx Cogne ice climbing video/advert then.........

allarms 16 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I just watched it while listening to some music of my choice and thought - Nice video.

To summarise - Commentary not to my taste, otherwise nice job. Might have to visit.
 allarms 16 Dec 2014

> You would probably be well advised not to watch the Arcteryx Cogne ice climbing video/advert then.........

I can't resist the temptation now! Judging by the response on here, do people really like this sort of stuff then!? I am admittedly new here so perhaps need to be assimilated.
 allarms 16 Dec 2014

Ah well over on that thread I am not the only critic. Thanks for mentioning it or I might have gone on to think I am the only one.
 Matt Buchanan 17 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Absolutely brilliant Thow and Rob! The commentary was excellent and music well chosen. Look forward to seeing more. Maybe some Glen Lednock action Thow?
 Chris Sansum 18 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Great - really enjoyed it, and watched it all the way through (I should really be getting ready for work!). I've wanted to go there for ages. Hope they reinstate the ferry one day to make it a cheaper trip!
 Max factor 19 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

great vid. thanks for putting it together and sharing. Much appreciated (if not by all!).
 Lukem6 19 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

great vid, i have plans for stetind this coming year
 TobyA 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Lukem6:

Have you read the most excellent "Climbing Stetind’s Sydpilaren (South Pillar): a punter’s guide"? Available free of charge to all from the interweb, it's on some minor blog of little significance.
 Wee Davie 19 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Beautiful film- totally gorgeous. A very impressive production. Were there just 2 people climbing and filming? If so that's even more impressive. The logistics of trying to plan the angles and scenes is pretty mind boggling...
 Lukem6 19 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I want the grand prize west ridge
 TobyA 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Lukem6:

> I want the grand prize west ridge
You have to get there first and that bits harder!

jwi 20 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

It's possible to access the West Ridge via the ramp on the North face, just as Arne Naess and friends did for the first ascent. Combining West Face/West Ridge is arguably a better climb though — and I agree that when you reach the West Ridge by way of the West Face all the hard climbing is already done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...