UKC

compression socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 11 Dec 2014
I bought a new pair of trainers today, and was charmed into buying compression socks - quite tight, and with interesting bobbles that apparently squeeze your feet in the right places. My feet have high arches and the socks feel very good. Anyone else tried these? Have I just fallen victim to enticing marketing?
Robyn Vacher 12 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I've just started using them as I have weak calves which quickly ache after long runs. Friends recommended I give them a try and also leave them on for a while after the run - apparently that's beneficial too.

Mine are Compressport ones but would be interested in other recommendations as I do want to invest in a second pair.
 yorkshireman 12 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:
I've never used them although I've got some compression tights I use after ultras and really long training runs to aid recovery. I'm not convinced they work though.

The problem with all of these is that there are no properly controlled studies of their efficacy, so like so much in running it is all down to hearsay, personal preference and fashion.

Even if they worked I would be loathe to use them in training. If something is weak, surely supporting it in training doesn't help it get stronger.

FInally - I've got a bad enough runner's tan down to my ankles from the summer, if I used knee length compression socks I'd look a right tool.
Post edited at 12:49
Ste Brom 12 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I've a couple of pairs, I don't know if they help, but I definitely feel more comfortable in them. I'd say they'd be more benefit for wearing the day after a biggy, to aid recovery.
First pair were too tight, my head was swollen to twice its normal size till I took em off
 tjin 12 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I started using them and stopped having pains in my knee muscle on longer distances (15k+). I do mix compression with regular socks, so my body don't get to used on the compression socks. Otherwise you body will need them.
OP BusyLizzie 12 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Mine are just for feet, i.e. ankle socks. Hence the assistance to the arches - I'd found it helpful to wear a tubigrip but these socks do the same sort of thing.

It occurs to me I could try to find out what is wrong with my arches! I'm hoping that the new trainers I've just bought will in any event make my feet feel better, but we'll see. If they don't I'll go to a physio. I do like my feet; they are amongst my most useful and constant companions.
 The Potato 12 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

ive tried compression socks and calf sleeves, wasnt fussed on the sleeves for exercise or recovery, but I quite like the long socks for running. I find it helps reduce muscle vibrations on hard surfaces and I get less post run pain, I dont know if they make much other difference than that, also helps protect ankles from brambles etc. I wouldnt however spend more than £15 on a pair of socks no matter what they claim to do
Ste Brom 12 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Try KT tape to help with arch support, along with some double strike sorbothane inserts; they have some arch support in them.
Worth remembering that despite the price you pay for trainies, the inserts are utter crud. Rip em out and replace.
 Ander 12 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:
They're marketed as having two uses- to improve endurance and aid recovery. They say they do this through acting on the blood supply.

I'd say it's a popular opinion that they do indeed aid recovery, but don't do too much to improve endurance, if at all.

However, as another commenter said there's not a lot of conclusive evidence either way- the jury is out so to speak.

I don't think I know of anyone who says they are detrimental, however. My only bad experience was wearing compression tights, where I found that they caused me to chafe. You won't get that from socks! A lot of top endurance runners use them- and though that's not conclusive it's a sign they're probably not at all bad.

I think I'm on fairly solid ground when I state that they're not marketed as 'muscular support'. At least two commenters have claimed they are doing this (eg the impact on the achey knee, and the guy who says he switches round to ensure he doesn't adapt to 'need' their support). To decide if they act as muscular support, consider what actual muscular support devices look like... ie much more solid strapping, velcro, and so on.
 Uluru 12 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I got a pair of knee high ones which I used for my long runs when I was training for a marathon earlier this year. I only got them to try to help hold me together so that I would reach the start of the marathon as I developed shin splints. They worked for that. I now only use them on my long runs, I'm not sure if they make any difference at all but I haven't had any injuries since (touch wood)

I've recently got some orthotics for my running shoes after seeing how some cheap off the shelf ones improved my stability when running. They are great and seem to really help keep me more stable when trail running.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...