UKC

Rjukan conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gilliesp 17 Dec 2014
Anyone got an idea of how the snow and ice are forming in Rjukan? Going across early February 2015. Last Year things were a bit lean. Also wondering if last Ice Festival went ahead as planned - as we departed the ice build up was nil at the ice park and temps were around zero degrees C.
 mutt 17 Dec 2014
In reply to gilliesp:

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Telemark/Tinn/Rjukan/

looks like they've had a good month of sub zero. would be nice to get some direct observations of the ice falls though.
 planetmarshall 17 Dec 2014
In reply to gilliesp:

> Also wondering if last Ice Festival went ahead as planned - as we departed the ice build up was nil at the ice park and temps were around zero degrees C.

It did indeed, it happened to fall within ( and my trip happened to coincide, luckily ), about the only good week of the season. Temperatures were around -4 to -6 if I recall, though there was a damaging thaw just as we were leaving.

Mr. Lee 17 Dec 2014
In reply to gilliesp:

Actually, it's not been that cold there up until now. Hence I can't give you an on the spot account because it's been worth my while to go there in the first place. There's a good amount of ice on Gausta currently but nothing properly formed at say Kroken last I heard. Here's a picture of Gausta from last week.

http://instagram.com/p/wYZMMbvnSp/

It's been permanently freezing for a number of weeks in places like Hemsedal and Oppdal so that's where I've been heading. Rjukan's been fluctuating above and below. It was a very wet autumn across the country so potentially lot of ice if the temperatures drop.
 Mr. Lee 19 Dec 2014
In reply to mutt:

Some recent observations here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/118510158161538/

(14th December entry and replies)

OP gilliesp 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Thanks. I am getting my act together now and also checking webcams which show snow is about and the Temp charts look more freeze than warm - until you cross reference with
another....they don't agree!
 Mr. Lee 21 Dec 2014
In reply to gilliesp:

The pent.no app is good for Norwegian weather forecasts. It compares the yr.no forecast with the storm.no forecast.
 Brannock 26 Dec 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:
Bump

Heading out to Rjukan tomorrow so wondering if anyone knows what's in at the moment? Looks cold at least from the forecast...

Many thanks
 dan bulman 26 Dec 2014
In reply to Brannock: message from climb rjukan/tinn facebook group.

the cold has finally arrived to stay in the valley. Ice is forming fast due to wet ground, snow and cold temperatures! During next week/weekend there should be easy to find plenty of lines to climb! There have been traffic in Bølgen area, GT fossen, Tjønnstadbergfossen, Krokan, kong vinter and Alset/school room area. This is also a perfect time to climb long and easy routes like Gausta marathon because of little snow! Happy Christmas holiday to everyone!
 Brannock 27 Dec 2014
In reply to dan bulman:

Thank you!
OP gilliesp 27 Dec 2014
In reply to dan bulman:

Many thanks
 Brannock 28 Dec 2014
In reply to gilliesp:
As I've got some free wifi, from a first look, Krokan and upper gorge look good, vemark bridge looks a bit thin.
 Brannock 31 Dec 2014
In reply to Brannock:
+6 degrees at ozzimosis and krokan, melting fast

Climber Phil 31 Dec 2014
In reply to Brannock:

No !!!!! Due out there at the end of Jan. The temps were looking promising. Hope it's not like it was this year.
 jas wood 31 Dec 2014
In reply to Ice Jedi:

Also out at the end of Jan. Hopefully a little blip only :O)
Climber Phil 31 Dec 2014
In reply to jas wood:
Looking at the forecast, it seems that they're going to drop again from Saturday. Fingers crossed it stays cold
 jas wood 31 Dec 2014
In reply to Ice Jedi:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/no/rjukan/255905/current-weather/255905
Looks fine to me and might get some more stuff running :O)
Climber Phil 31 Dec 2014
In reply to jas wood:
Cool. When are you heading out
 jas wood 31 Dec 2014
In reply to Ice Jedi:

Jan 21st from Liverpool. Week in the Rjukan Hytebby.

Brannock 31 Dec 2014
In reply to jas wood:

Yr.no seems to be the best forecast,

http://m.yr.no/place/Norway/Telemark/Tinn/Rjukan/long.html

Thermometer outside currently shows +4
 jas wood 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Brannock:

Anything still hanging in there?
Climber Phil 01 Jan 2015
In reply to jas wood:
Jan 26 from Liverpool. Stopping up at gaustatoppen
 Brannock 01 Jan 2015
In reply to jas wood:
There's still quite a bit of ice around, but it is melting fast.
Climber Phil 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Brannock:

Not again !! Sounds like it's going to be like last year
 Fast&Light 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:
Evening all. Pretty lean out here at the moment - spent most of the day driving around seeing if we could find anything. Some ice left but it's melting fast and in lots of the places we've looked the ice only has a tentative grasp to the rock and water flowing under it. Some people were top roping in the Ozzimosis area today but even this looks markedly different from when we were there a couple of days ago. Temperatures set to remain high for tomorrow with high winds.
Climber Phil 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Fast&Light:
You're kidding ?! What's going on with this weather ? We didn't get out til begining of March last year and the ice wasn't good. Was hoping that end of jan would be a safer bet.
 Fast&Light 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:
Breaking News in Rjukan. The wind is currently blowing the water out of the holes in the road. Every cloud and all that...
Climber Phil 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Fast&Light:
How bad are the routes and river at Krokan ?
 Fast&Light 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:
Tried it yesterday and Bullen was ok with Gaustaspokelse looking a bit wet and tentative. There were lots of people waiting for Bullen and the river was quite freely flowing but covered by snow patches. Some wet feet in our group. Some people were mixed climbing but really dry tooling with a nod in the direction of ice at the top.
 Casa Alfredino 01 Jan 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Its a total hijack but take a look at my sottoguda conditions blog - http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/uncategorized/ice-beginning-to-form-with-ex... - I went up the gorge yesterday to take a look to see how things are progressing, and things are definitely improving, and quickly with most of the lines filling in nicely. I reckon most lines will be climbable by next week. Might be an alternative for you to look at if you're not already all booked up?
Climber Phil 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Fast&Light:
Jeez. Not sounding good at all at the minute. How long left out there have you
 Fast&Light 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:
Fly back on Sunday. Weather reports all over the place with temps but there seems to be a drop to -6/7 tomorrow night but then back up during the day. Might be time for fresh batteries in the headtorch!
OP gilliesp 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Fast&Light:

Fingers crossed for colder steady conditions. Maybe other venues are worth a look, in Norway and elsewhere....

Appreciate on site updates. Thanks all.
 AlH 05 Jan 2015
In reply to gilliesp: Rich Bentley of Mountain Motion looks to be out this week.

http://www.mountainmotion.co.uk/blog/ice-climbing-course-rjukan/
OP gilliesp 05 Jan 2015
In reply to AlH:

Thanks for link. I'll keep watching.
 mutt 09 Jan 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

is anyone out there at the moment? eagerly waiting news of the conditions.....
paddy cave 09 Jan 2015
In reply to mutt:

Rich is there all week with daily updates...

http://www.mountainmotion.co.uk/blog/ice-climbing-course-rjukan/
 mutt 09 Jan 2015
In reply to paddy cave:

thanks for that - looks pretty lean compared to my last trip.
 Caspar 09 Jan 2015
In reply to paddy cave:

We've been using this blog to help us all week. There's hardly anything in, and most of the stuff that is in is running with water.
 mutt 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Caspar:
are you there now? I'm supposed to be travelling on thursday so there is a little time left for a freeze but ....
http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Buskerud/Rollag/Veggli_observation_site/stati... is a little depressing
Post edited at 20:03
Climber Phil 09 Jan 2015
In reply to mutt:
Heading out in a fortnight. Looking at this is making me a bit more hopeful
http://m.yr.no/place/Norway/Telemark/Tinn/Rjukan/long.html
 mutt 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:

yes, that is all at least on the right side of zero. what is it telling us? is that the mean temperature or the max? I really hope some ice survives this week. The blog posts are rather bleak reading and I can only think they went to gausta for some dry ice. I tried to get there a couple of years ago but the snow was too deep. What has happened to the weather this year - it would be interesting to see why temperatures are 12-15 degrees warmer than the seasonal average - might compensate a little for the lost ice!
OP gilliesp 09 Jan 2015
In reply to mutt:

Fingers and toes crossed that this forecast is correct...isn't always. I'm afraid to say.
Climber Phil 10 Jan 2015
In reply to mutt:
2014 was the same. We got out there at the end of feb. A lot of krokan area was running. The river was breaking through and ozzimosis was full of holes. But in 2013 the amount of ice was amazing
 Caspar 10 Jan 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:

We had our last day today. It's hanging around zero in the valley, but is colder higher up - Gausta's good. Snowed hard all day and is meant to get colder soon, but right now it's a case of finding the few routes that are in. Saying that, we haven't had a day where we haven't had climbing.
Climber Phil 10 Jan 2015
In reply to Caspar:
Fingers crossedon the temp drops. Glad you've been able to climb all the time
 jas wood 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:

http://www.mountainmotion.co.uk
Shaping up by the looks of it
Climber Phil 16 Jan 2015
In reply to jas wood:
It seems that way
OP gilliesp 17 Jan 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

I'd like to thank Rich of Mountain Motion for his detailed daily Rjukan blogs including photos. They've been great in letting us see how the ice is progressing.
 neilwiltshire 23 Jan 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Is anyone out there at the moment or recently back that can update on conditions? Weather reports vary wildly online. Would be good to get a real conditions update!
OP gilliesp 23 Jan 2015
In reply to neilwiltshire:

Just looked at three forecasts. They agree that last few days of Jan into Feb temps set to plummet - after a warm few daytime temps. Agree it would be good to get on site report. Shame that Old Schoolhouse reports have ceased, at least on their FB page.
 ox 23 Jan 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Have a look at Paddy Caves Blog he has been out this week.
 summo 23 Jan 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

would agree that things are improving, with winter creeping in this past week. I'm not there, I live next door(Sweden).. winter has had a very slow start, I find this site best for the forecasts http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Telemark/Tinn/Rjukan/long.html although their wind speeds are not so good, the temps are generally about right. Some forecasts are predicting a proper cold spell in a week or so.. but this winter anything can happen and things tend to change within a few days, with little long term stability.

OP gilliesp 23 Jan 2015
In reply to ox:
Thanks for that (and Summo). Great heads up.

PS Paddy Cave Blog is now http://www.mountaincircles.com/
Post edited at 18:02
 Curly Rich 24 Jan 2015

Hi Neil, just returned from Rjukan I was out there from 15th to 21st conditions not great but we climbed every day. Krokan and Ozzi both OK but do get very busy. some of the bigger routes in the upper gorge are climbable I just wasn't Man enough. A couple of stronger guys from Austria I think did Lipton and said it was "good ice" Temps were falling well when we left. Lots of snow fall the day we came home. give me a call if you want more info.
Rich GMC
 jas wood 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Curly Rich:
Kong vinter today and perfectly climbable but snowy. Not my name on the king Kong lead! Top roped fine. Very featured up chopped ice would make pro hard one. Upper gorge thin but in. Krokan in as always. Osmosis steep but in. Vermok area is quite thin but being climbed
. Lower gorge nowhere near. Bolgen / kivitta etc look complete but quality unknown. Ice appears to have formed quickly so is quite brittle in places.

In reply to jas wood:
Just got back from 4 days at Rjukan. Quite fluctuating temperatures during our visit. From -15 on friday rising to around zero on Sunday.

Upper gorge: Friday (23/01): Deep snow in parts, but getting nicely trenched. Bakeien and Nye Vemorkfoss getting ascents as well as Sabotørfossen. Trappfoss climbed both friday and saturday. Parties indicated in part challenging conditions. Rjukanfossen: I talked to a Norwegian lad who had climbed this. He described it as thinner than normal, but doable.

Saturday (24/01): Krokan: parties on Fyrstikka, Jomfrua (variable conditions), Bullen, Gaustaspøkelse, Tipp and Topp.

Sunday (25/01) Vemorkbrufoss Øst: Little wet, variable ice quality. Saw a party on Vemorkbrufoss vest.

Fabrikkfossen: Looked buried under soft snow on sunday.

Stayed at The Old School . Quiet during the week getting lively at the weekends. A really cosy place to stay.
Post edited at 15:01
 jas wood 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:
Wonder we didnt see you Jamie, we popped into the old school house on Saturday night. Looked very nice in there. Climbed Rjukanfossen today, only teams on it and it was thinner than usual but very good stick!
 roelq 26 Jan 2015
Does anyone have an idea about the conditions in Mael? Thx a lot!
 jas wood 26 Jan 2015
In reply to roelq:
Went past it on way to vinter and lines APPEARED complete. Couldn't say what the nick would be like as most ice at the minute looks rapidly formed.
 jas wood 27 Jan 2015
In reply to jas wood:
Ice forming well at the minute and noticeably fatter over last few days. Tops off at Krokan today
 Mr. Lee 27 Jan 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Climbed Trappfoss and Nye Vermork at the weekend. Indifferent ice on Trappfoss (as stated above). A little stepped so felt pretty steady for the grade. A bit thin at the top where the angle eases back.

http://leeharrisonclimbing.blogspot.no/2015/01/trappfoss-wi4-kjkkentrappa-w...

First pitch of Nye Vermorkfoss was a bit thin in places but decent ice all the way thereafter.

http://leeharrisonclimbing.blogspot.no/2015/01/nye-vermorkfoss-wi5-svingfos...

Sabotørfossen looked to be getting plenty of ascents. Juvsøyla looked in really good condition and climbed Saturday and Sunday.
OP gilliesp 28 Jan 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

What's the attitude to the Rockfax caution regarding Rjukanfossen potental overflow these days. It seems to be popular, so the warning is obviously being disregarded. I wonder if anyone has seen it overflow?
 Mr. Lee 28 Jan 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

It's out of date information from what I understand. I climbed it five years ago. Checked with about three sources, all of whom advised me that there is no longer any such risk.
 jas wood 28 Jan 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

We climbed it yesterday and asked a few locals who stated it was not the case anymore. Top route in good nick but 4 degs this morning and raining.
Climber Phil 28 Jan 2015
In reply to jas wood:

Are you still out in rjukan jas. We arrived on monday
 jas wood 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:

left today as it rained had a cracking week to be honest and good weather every day :O) If you haven't been to Kong Vinter yet, that is a must.
 dan bulman 29 Jan 2015
In reply to jas wood:

has anything been done in lower gorge?
 Mr. Lee 29 Jan 2015
In reply to dan bulman:

Heard it was still very poor last weekend. Met a couple of climbers who had visited Sunday morning but found nothing to climb.
Climber Phil 29 Jan 2015
In reply to jas wood:
Temp dropped again today which was good. Kong vinter ? Went last year and it was hideous. Abbed in to find that you could push the screws in. Ended up climbing out the other side and walking/ snow swimming back lol
 scouse 01 Feb 2015
Reply to Ice Jedi:
Anyone know the conditions now ?

We're in Setesdal & no joy. South of Rystad has running water, and even just south of Bycle supposedly good every time, found thin & honeycomb

Would appreciate any info on Rjukan ... else we'll be skiing !!
Ta scouse
Climber Phil 01 Feb 2015
In reply to scouse: aye up Scouse. Rjukan is the same as last year if not worse. We met you last at the bottom of bullen last year. It's due to stay cold for a while now though. Not much in quantity and was very brittle today.

scouse 01 Feb 2015
Reply to Ice Jedi:

Eh up Jedi !

We must stop meeting like this (poor ice) !!

Ta for the skinny, think we'll stay here & sell me mates' kidney to go skiing

Cheers
Scouse
Climber Phil 01 Feb 2015
In reply to scouse: lol. No worries. How much did the car cost last you last year after the petrol station incident ? It's not been too good out here. My mate went through at krokan today. Ice was dinner plating for fun. He placed a screw and then pulled it out with ice block attached

scouse 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:

Woah scary !

Ah the motor ... There was no bugger at the desk so just left it and hoped ... nowt happened !!! Cost me nowt

This year I've got excess insurance which cost £16 . Arrived at Kallefosse at the gaff at 7am (7hr journey, grueller) & parked car in an ice drift which took us 2hrs to get out of in the morn ! Wouldn't recommend flying to Rygge cos its further from everywhere !!
Climber Phil 01 Feb 2015
In reply to scouse: lol. Bonus for you. Yeah things aren't great again this year are they. We had a look at Bolgen and that was running. At ozzi, the routes at the right were like a Scottish mixed. Something's wrong when you trust snow more than ice

scouse 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Ice Jedi:

Aii ! I was in Cogne for a weekend 2 weeks ago & had a lot more fun there, fantastic food, 'normal'prices & a few routes were in. I might just book some cheap flts to Geneva as soon as they come out ... Cogne has much bigger walk ins though, so need to be fitter

Or don't buy any flts til I see the whites of their ice
 scouse 03 Feb 2015
Reply to scouse:

Temps here in Setesdal are pretty low, -13 during the day & I appreciate that waterfall ice takes a while to form/repair, however ...

Whilst packing our ice gear away & having skiied at -25 deg C, how's the ice looking at Rjukan anyone ?
OP gilliesp 04 Feb 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Fly out tomorrow. Looking warmish re the forecasts. Anyone got an update?
 HeMa 04 Feb 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

> Anyone got an update?

From the pics, Juvsöylä and Lipton seemed pretty fat.

Have a look at here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/118510158161538/
OP gilliesp 05 Feb 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks. Looks like we will get things done.
 Mountain Llama 05 Feb 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Climbed at Krokan today, temperature on car varied between -7 & -3 C across the day. About 10 teams out so plenty of space. Ice in good shape, not mega fat but sufficient.

Davey
 Simon4 06 Feb 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Well there is certainly stuff to be done at the moment, though people familiar with the place say it is significantly thinner than usual, consequently harder. Today we went to Bolgen, steeper than one might expect and quite wet on one pitch but still worthwhile.

Forecast rise in temps is a bit ominous though.

That said, there is certainly plenty of good climbing to be had as of now

Mountain Llama 06 Feb 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Climbed at Ozzimosis today, temperature from car on approach was +1 C. All the climbs were fine apart from Skrueis which was slightly wet but climbable.

Clear skies tonight.

Davey
 neilwiltshire 08 Feb 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Lower gorge impassable yesterday. We couldn't get to the routes. Great climbing in central Rjukan today though. Still good ice about but pretty warm and getting warmer next week.
 Simon4 08 Feb 2015
We had a great day on Tjonbergstadtfossen, Central Rjukan, great ice, sunshine and calm.

Now warm enough for T shirts and wind going completely berserk!

Also, were have you put your passport?
Post edited at 21:06
 Mr. Lee 10 Feb 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Sabortørfossen and Kroken on Saturday. Former was rather wet on the steeper sections but still very much climbable. Ice was drier and generally better at Kroken that same day. Ice build-up in the gorge looked about the same as when there two weeks prior. Maybe slightly more. A lot less snow covering the ice now though.

http://leeharrisonclimbing.blogspot.no/2015/02/sabotrfossen-wi5-kroken-rjuk...
 Mr. Lee 10 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Same on Sunday at Kroken. Largely good ice. Fairly quiet.

http://leeharrisonclimbing.blogspot.no/2015/02/kroken-continued.html
OP gilliesp 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Is that it all over for this year?

As we did our last climb at Ozzi the water was flowing down the ropes! Our spell there was in plus temps. Krokan was still good though as was the Upper Gorge. I think we'll still go back again next year (5th year in a row). However it seems we are on to warmer winters over there so I was wondering if in the recent past these warm cycles were experienced by anyone. Four years ago we started at -19 degrees C.
 Mr. Lee 17 Feb 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

This is what you're looking for I think:

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Telemark/Tinn/Rjukan/climate.html
OP gilliesp 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Very interesting data - thanks for pointing it out. The temperature dots seem to bear out our recent experiences and precipitation is usually reduced in relation to lower temps i.e. less snow when it's colder. Unless I am missing a trick it looks impossible to spot a predictive trend giving a hint at next year with exactitude. However, the record does seem to indicate consistent minus temperatures over Jan and Feb with the odd high spots every now and then. I think we'll take a punt next year and get cheap flights booked asap!
 chalk monster 17 Feb 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Was raining here early evening bud! 😢
sussox 19 Feb 2015
In reply to chalk monster:

We were planning on going to Rjukan next weekend. It that gonna be a no-go?? Will there be any climbable ice left? Any reports?
 GarethSL 20 Feb 2015
In reply to sussox:

It's all er a bit sketch...
 The Mole 22 Feb 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

Two of us have a trip planned for 12-18 March although nothing booked yet - we were going to fix things up today. Dates are fixed around another commitment in Oslo so can't be changed.
Never been before and I appreciate that these dates were always going to be end of season - TBH as long as there is stuff to do we'll be happy.

However looking at what's been said above, is it likely to be all written off in 3 weeks time?

What's the skiing like?
 Mountain Llama 22 Feb 2015
In reply to The Mole:

The forcast is not a total disaster? http://m.yr.no/place/Norway/Telemark/Tinn/Rjukan/long.html
 ClimbingGlen 23 Feb 2015
In reply to The Mole: 2 of us heading to Rjukan on 27/02 until 08/03. Will let you know the conditions as we try to get something done!

craggyjohn 23 Feb 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Just got back on Saturday from a week in Rjukan - 30 pics posted on facebook, will give you a good idea re. current conditions. This was a party under instruction, operating on WI3 to 5. We had a good week.

https://www.facebook.com/Alienmountain
 Mr. Lee 27 Feb 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

A little out-of-date, but this was Kong Vinter last Saturday. A big section of running water at the back of the crag but climbable ice.

http://leeharrisonclimbing.blogspot.no/2015/02/kong-vinter-rjukan.html
OP gilliesp 28 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Thanks. Never been in there. Looks a worthwhile venue for next year maybe.
 ClimbingGlen 01 Mar 2015
In reply to The Mole:
Krokan in good condition. Climbed there today. Light snow. Got some WI2-6 on amazing ice pillars.
Upper Gorge and Ozzimosis areas are in too.
A lot of other areas are either poor ice or out of condition.
Temperatures this whole week are looking good. Although next Sunday looks warm!
 The Mole 02 Mar 2015
In reply to ClimbingGlen:
Thanks mate that's good to hear.
 ClimbingGlen 03 Mar 2015
ozzimosis was good yesterday still in. So were some of the other climbs there, although the ones on thinner ice were melting.
Sabotorfossen in upper gorge was amazing today. Most of the others on that aspect are in too except Lipton.
Weather still cool all week.
Definitely warmer next week.
 roelq 03 Mar 2015
In reply to ClimbingGlen:

We were planning to go from 11 till 18th of March, looking to do multipitch routes (WI3-WI5). With the current conditions and the forecast, we're seriously thinking of cancelling the hut and going to Cogne instead. What do you think, would it be worth the 18h trip from Belgium?
 bonoid 05 Mar 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

We climbed at Kroken today. Ice not too bad. Bit stepped out in places. Had a look at vermork bridge area first. Wasn't too inspiring! Temperature was about 3oC at Vael, little colder at kroken.
 Mr. Lee 05 Mar 2015
In reply to roelq:

I'd go elsewhere if I were you as there's not a huge amount to go at in Rjukan for a week. Particularly multipitch. Maybe look at Hemsedal or Oppdal as they are higher and have had better conditions all winter.
 gavinpeach 06 Mar 2015
In reply to roelq:
We are here at the moment and have got routes done in the upper gorge, krokan, and ozzimossis. There has been plenty to do in those areas and the ice has been good. However, it feels like the town is getting warmer and spring is approaching. I'd imagine every week will deteriorate from the last and spring feels like it is creeping in. You could possibly get something done 11-18th March but it will be starting to get limited.
 ClimbingGlen 06 Mar 2015
In reply to roelq:
Hey, we climbed trapfoss yesterday in good conditions. Sabotorfossen still in along with verdes end. And bakvein and if your up for a challenge Juvsolya looks amazing. Too sustained for us.
Plus a couple looked good right under vermok bridge.
Krokan still has a lot of routes too.
But weather is definitely on the warm!!!
Weather forecast not getting below zero in day and some nights. So if your guaranteed colder weather elsewhere??
 ClimbingGlen 06 Mar 2015
top pitch of bakvein a bit of soft snow and hollow ice.
Sabotorfossen had a lot of water running down it today and was a bit stepped.
 roelq 06 Mar 2015
Thx a lot to all. We've decided not to go to Rjukan but instead try Cogne and/or Chamonix. Although there it's getting warmer as well.

summo 06 Mar 2015
In reply to roelq:

Wise move, +1 in Lillehammer right now, next 2 days are just silly.. but next week is only below zero at night. It's been that kind of winter.. hope you booked accomm. that you can cancel without a penalty.
 Lou Kennedy 13 Mar 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Any new news on Rjukan conditions over the past week? Supposed to be heading out from Oslo this afternoon but just for the weekend so we only need a few routes to be in....
 The Mole 13 Mar 2015
In reply to Lou Kennedy: Arrived yesterday. Climbed three routes at Krokan today. Should be plenty enough for the weekend

Drew52 14 Mar 2015
In reply to gilliesp:
Plenty still to do. We got 4 routes done in the upper gorge and vemork bridge. Thin but still good.
OP gilliesp 23 Mar 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Was over on family vacation a few days ago. Wrote this on other post: 'Two days ago folks were climbing at Gausta (snow shoes or ski required) and Krokan still had Bullen looking full and Unknown enticing but lots of running water noises.'

Personally I'd now forget a visit for ice climbing purposes but if it froze for a few nights the locals could have fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...