UKC

Outdoor Photography Magazine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shaun walby 19 Dec 2014
Chuffed to have won Outdoor Photography Magazine's mountain Photography competition this month. My image,shot from the base of the Midi Arete is published in the latest edition.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 19 Dec 2014
In reply to shaun walby:

Congrats Shaun. Do you have a link to the image?
Dorq 19 Dec 2014
In reply to shaun walby:

Well done! Is it on the shelves now?
 Mal Grey 19 Dec 2014
In reply to shaun walby:

I saw it this morning. Lovely image. Nice one!

Fraser 19 Dec 2014
In reply to shaun walby:

Congrats, you must be chuffed!
OP shaun walby 19 Dec 2014
In reply to all:

Cheers all yer well chuffed, second image ive had published in OP mag...link to image here http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com/chamonixhigh-mountain-dawn

tehmarks 19 Dec 2014
In reply to shaun walby:

Stunning photo, a well-deserved win!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 19 Dec 2014
In reply to shaun walby:

It is an excellent photo, well deserved. Always exciting seeing your stuff in print!
 chris fox 19 Dec 2014
In reply to shaun walby:

Like the others have said, nice shot. Really atmospheric

Chris
 atrendall 19 Dec 2014
In reply to shaun walby:

A worthy winner. When you compare it with the other images, some taken by top end, full frame DSLRs, then it just proves that talent etc is more important than gear.
OP shaun walby 19 Dec 2014
In reply to all

Thanks for comments...re camera's used, yer i was a bit concerned the editor wouldn't be too thrilled to hear it was shot with a compact i emailed him...very pleased to report in a nutshell he considered that made it even more impressive.
So pleased this top end magazine consider its not about packing your
Hasselblad...its the final image that counts, good news for climbing photographers i guess.

IM 19 Dec 2014
In reply to shaun walby:

nice one, well done.
In reply to shaun walby:

Picture the scene - the end of the year photo competition at a University camera club (Note Camera not Photo). A great set of images are shown many accompanied by shooting details - camera, film, settings etc. NB This is in the era of slides rather than digital.
The President announces the winner with a speech which refers to the fact that 'The entry clearly demonstrates that having good quality equipment is clearly a starting point for excellent picture quality' The winner is revealed and it is a stunner, there is a request 'Is the photographer here tonight?'
A hand goes up from the audience and a lass owns up to her authorship of the image. 'Could you tell us more about your picture' the President asks. The reply comes back 'Well it was the last one I took with my Kodak Instamatic before I got interested in photography and bought a Canon.' The silence was deafening.
OP shaun walby 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Keith

Lol...love it. Old sayings abound...f8 and be there, the camera you have with you is the best etc etc.
That story resonates with me as the midi shot (link above) got me into photography...i certainly wasn't thinking about winning comps years later with it that's for sure.
Currently iam using the fuji X-E1 when I need to go light, otherwise iam still with the Canon 5D2, come to think of it my phone is the same Meg pixs as the midi shot.

In reply to shaun walby:

Superb shot mate, congratulations. I aspire to taking images like that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...