UKC

Leicestershire, high tor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 althesin 23 Dec 2014
Have been to this minor outcrop mentioned in Leicestershire climbs, there's some really good boulder problems which I think are worth putting into the crag database. It has obviously been climbed on before, but would anybody be offended if I named some routes? The woods have private property signs, I have not run into any access problems, not sure of ownership, If there's any chance of causing trouble I'll keep the routes to myself.
 Michael Hood 23 Dec 2014
In reply to althesin: I suspect that the new guide if it ever comes out will contain lots of details of places like High Tor. No doubt one of the current Leicester crew will come on here with better info.

OP althesin 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:

The new guide had been coming for a while....
The quality of the place is not far off Beacon Hill but it is undersold in the old guide. I wondered if that was deliberate to avoid access problems or just an indicator of the "route" centric approach of the old guidebook. Would be great to hear from the current Leicester crew.
 Skipinder 24 Dec 2014
In reply to althesin:

From what I've heard the 'new' is now the 'postponed' guide
OP althesin 25 Dec 2014
In reply to Skipinder:

Well I've put High Tor on UKC now, if I've named a route that anybody objects to, just let me know. I don't have the experience to grade reliably so feedback appreciated. BTW only easy routes posted, when I said it came close to beacon hill I might have been exagerating a bit, but the landings are definitely superior!
 Skipinder 25 Dec 2014
In reply to althesin:

I've only climbed at Beacon, Outwoods, the bridge, Markfield, Craig Budden, Charnwood (once), Bradgate, and Whitwick. The latter should be ignored LOL
OP althesin 26 Dec 2014
In reply to Skipinder:
The old guide book has a lot of climbs in it, quite a few no longer exist. This is a good time of year for finding the minor outcrops that are otherwise defended by vegetation. I've been working my way through the guide book. Whitwick rocks have become a bit residential, but Whitwick/ Peldar Tor Quarry is massive and very interesting.

link to High Tor
High Tor

DerwentDiluted 26 Dec 2014
In reply to althesin:

I did a similar exercise about 5 years ago and am probably the last person to have done the routes at Whitwick as they are now landscaped into back gardens for the houses on the site of the old garage.
I don't know if a Leicestershire guide will ever materialise as it will be too fraught with access issues and cover too much indifferent rock to be viable.
There may be some merit in a midlands guide covering all the bits from Shropshire, Leics etc
OP althesin 26 Dec 2014
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

The last ascencionist has a special place in history
Still exploring for undiscovered rock, I see it as a noble quest, like the holy grail but without the coconut shells. Peldar tor quarry looks good, better than Charnwood, Geof Mason produced some work to lobby for climbing in the disused quarries.
 Skipinder 26 Dec 2014
In reply to althesin:

I do believe Geoff is still hard at work on the quarry front.

The last, and only time, I was at Whitwick was ~7 years ago so no idea the garage had gone.
 brownie mike 27 Dec 2014
In reply to althesin:

There's a guy on here, called clintos i think, who has done alot of exploration around leicester in the past few years, maybe message him? Doubt the guidebook will be happening any time soon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...