UKC

Your most enjoyable climb of 2014?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 24 Dec 2014

For me it has to be climbing the First Ascent of 'The Desolation of Smaug' in Twll Mawr with my 11 year old son.

What was your favourite / most enjoyable climb of 2014?.....
Post edited at 13:23
 Alex Riley 24 Dec 2014
Comes the dervish the weekend before getting married and moving away from north wales after putting it off for over a year.

Andy Farnell 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Highway at Dinbren. First 8 for a good number of years. Brilliant route, the equal of any in Yorkshire.

Andy F
 gribble 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Tody's Wall. OK, I've done it lots of times before, but this time is was halfway through my wedding day, done in the wedding suit.
 john arran 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

A new tepui in Venezuela. Been a few years since I was there and half forgotten how good the climbing can be, even though it rained a quite unreasonable and uncharacteristic amount. Two pitches stand out: the first, 60m overhanging jungle pitch with virtually no rock touched, to get to the clean faces above - was like Scottish winter climbing with hands for picks in the loosely-attached vegetation (about VII,6 !). Also the crux rock pitch - clean as a whistle, only barely protectable enough after a hard and reachy crux protected by a tiny micro-cam, with almost every move above that 6a for another 30 metres, never quite knowing if it was going to blank out completely leaving me miles from gear with nowhere to go. And all days from help. To my mind the very best type of climbing experience possible.
 BnB 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

So many to choose from but I'll plump for a tie at the top between the peerless Integrity on Skye and the multifaceted Walewska at Ilkley, closely followed by Digitation at Wallowbarrow and Bilberry Buttress on Raven.
 Mike-W-99 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Kiplings groove at gimmer.Great weather, company and crag. Spitfire fly past whilst I was belaying as well.
 Jon Stewart 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Got to be Sula (E2 5b) on Dun Mingulay. Perfect route, perfect crag, perfect setting, climbed with a solid partner and good friend. What more can you ask?

Mastodon (E3 5c)was another favourite. Having had my arse repeatedly kicked on the Cornish granite I was starting to lose all confidence, but this perfect super-exposed wall climb on the Greenstone with its small holds and thin cracks got me right back into the swing. Possibly the best wall climb in the UK at the grade?
 John Kelly 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Trinity - Scafell east butress
 MischaHY 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

In terms of pure physicality and personal progression; Cry of Despair, because I'd never dreamed I'd climb that grade.

In experience, it has to be Zeppelin in El Chorro. An amazing, intense day with an incredible finish.
 deepstar 24 Dec 2014
 Mark Bull 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Gimmer Crack, and in a very different vein, La Sabine at Auzat.
Both repeats, and both every bit as good as the first time!
 LakesWinter 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Good thread! I think I'll have to choose 4 as I can't narrow it down to one.
1) wen, I'd always been intimidated by this cliff, my mate had already done dream so we did this in high winds, really memorable.
2) Megaton, pillar, led the crux slab on a stunning day and followed up with Gomorrah ridge variation, another superb vs
3) Central buttress and moss ledge direct, scafell, classic historical route through a really steep face, must have been so so serious in 1914, followed by camping out and the next day by probably the best vs I've done
4) did up to e3 this year on grit but the most memorable and enjoyable things for me on grit are the highballs and boulder problems, I'm not sure I can pick one in particular though, it's more the overall movement and feeling of the rock.
 airborne 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Agree with Ian Ll-j, climbing 2 new routes with my 14yr old son this year has been pretty special. For me, anyway; he mostly just grunted.
Post edited at 16:33
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Nothing too spectacular in terms of grade difficulty but for me it was leading every pitch of the Sub Cneifion Rib in August. I did it on the back end some years ago when I was starting out and always wanted to go back one day and lead the whole thing. I finally got to do it in 2014 and it was well worth the wait.
 Stopsy 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Probably doing Hope, Faith, and Charity in a day on Idwal Slabs

or

my first Hard Rock tick climbing The Grooves (E1 5b) at Cyrn Las
 Jimbo C 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I seem to have not got much climbing done this year. Having said that I've done a few good ones on the grit. The best may be Bond Street.
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Has to be Crypt route on Bidean last week. Epic epic day, two folk of our sizes really weren't meant to fit through that hole!
Post edited at 17:47
 Mark Kemball 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Manx Wall http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=35656 with my brother - at the end of a long enchainment. It had been on my "list" for decades!
 Dave Musgrove 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Not the hardest by any means but my best climbing experience of the year was a solo ascent of 3 StripesThree Stripes (5c) to the left of Spartacus Cave on Kalymnos in October during festival week. 600 feet of 3 star vertical but juggy, super-solid limestone finishing directly onto the upper plateau with only an Elonaras Falcon for company. A great way to escape the crowds and experience climbing in its most basic form even in one of the most crowded climbing areas on the planet. Not bad for a rest day!
 mugglewump 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

The wall of horrors, Almscliff. Short but great.
 Wizzy 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

My most enjoyable routes of 2014 for very different reasons were:

1) Left Wall (Brimham)
2)Black Wall eliminate (Almscliff)
3) Flying Buttress Direct
4)Raindrop (Black crag)
5)Chequers Buttress
6)Slip Knot
 smithg 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Top 3:
The Plum - not quite clean but hugely satisfying nonetheless (I know I'll get it next time)

Vía Valencianos - a great day out

Espolón Limaban - for the sheer joy of the second pitch
 3B48 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Nothing spectacular to most on here I suspect. I started off walking / scrambling and wanted to do Tower Ridge on Ben Nevis, did it in May. Not a great achievement for some, but it was a milestone for me and an absolutely cracking day out.
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Pilier Sud on Dent D'Orlu: terrible route in large parts, but finally managed to do it in a day as a group of four, complete with celebratory beers, and a magnificent excursion.

Martin
 freemanTom 24 Dec 2014
In reply to maisie:

Mousetrap, is obvious highlight, spectacular cliff with climbing to match. First ascent in Loch Corisuk, lovely sustained and varied route also highly satisfying
 ChrisBrooke 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Most enjoyable was probably Left Wall, but it has been a year of pretty enjoyable climbing. I very much enjoyed climbing on Kalymnos, at Riglos, on the Piz Badile and at Millstone. I had two 'most enjoyable days out', both on Peak lime. One was ticking most of the E2s on Windy Ledge (Stoney) including the Alcasan traverse, the other, doing Original, Debauchery and Delicatessen at High Tor. As a grit lover, who'd've thunk it?! Scoop Wall at Stoney and Regent Street at Millstone get very honourable mentions. Falling off Tippler Direct AGAIN doesn't.
 ianstevens 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

For me it has to be Hope. Mainly because it's the first thing I climbed after smashing my arm into several pieces in June.

I think it's quite nice how a lot of these reflect the situation around them rather than just the route itself.
 Caralynh 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Bosigran Ridge. Easy fun stuff since I was 8 months pregnant at the time. We were lucky to have a perfect early morning low tide, and amazing blue skies and very hot weather. Lovely last trip before having my daughter.
Post edited at 21:09
 atrendall 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Cuillin Ridge over two days with perfect weather and nobody else on the TD Gap/King's Chimney/Inn Pinn or Naismiths. Nor any midges so Nirvana,
 Cornish boy 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Either Flying Buttress or Outside Edge route. Only V Diffs but cracking routes and enough spice for me!
Both done with my good mate Smuffy.
 Fiona Reid 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

'F' Route at Gimmer. Brilliant and thought provoking. Was the first route post injury where I felt like I could actually climb again so pretty special to me.
In reply to Sl@te Head:
I did hardly any decent climbing this year but I did manage to visit Reiff - An Stiuir for the first time in September and managed a few routes after work on the two evenings I was there. As such, The Executioner (E2 5c) was rather good, a totally stunning line, climbed in fairly good style in wonderful late evening sunshine
Post edited at 22:48
 jon_gill1 24 Dec 2014
In reply to deepstar:

It didn't live up to what its name would suggest then!worth a look by the sound of things. Hows the approach?
 deepstar 24 Dec 2014
In reply to jon_gill1:

No, it certainly was'nt "Crumbly" very solid in fact. We cycled in from Cumberland Basin, a new experience for me. When you are opposite Unkown Buttress you'll find the entrance to Arete Quarry, the arete is on the left side. Definitely a route for dry weather.
 Tom Last 24 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Earthly Powers at Whirlpool Buttress.

3 star E2 in West Cornwall that - due to its dampness - probably gets less than 1 ascent a year. I got the crux which felt easy in the end (took my time though), great end to a great dry summer.

Also maybe 1st ascent of The Singularity at Luxulyan Quarry, a hard offwidth which had been an on off project of mine for about three years.

Couldn't put a Rizla paper between them for satisfaction
 jon_gill1 25 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

A tough one as always,I cant really make my mind up but I would say I very much enjoyed an evening drive up to willersley castle rocks to climb pleasure dome after work!the crux kept on giving sustained moves. It was then followed up by a pint and free plate of sausage,chips and beans in cromford at what turned out to be a social club,mistaken in our tiredness for the local pub!a cracking mid summer night!
 JamesRoddie 25 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

A winter solo day on Liathach's Central Trinity Gully followed by the ridge traverse on perfect neve.
 Dave Williams 25 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

A somewhat improbable and totally overlooked line which, when stripped of the ivy that had almost made the first ascent, resulted in a superb little route on an equally excellent crag.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=331163
 TobyA 25 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

No obvious standout "big route" this year, started the year soloing a lot of ice in southern Finland, then various rock routes across Southern Finland in the spring and summer but nothing particularly hard or memorable. Moved back to the UK after 13 years abroad this summer, now in Sheffield - according to my logbook I've done 150 routes since (ok, a few are boulder problems but not many), and have finished the year soloing lots of easier gritstone routes. Oddly, the most memorable route since coming back to the UK may well be 'just' seconding my mate Tony up Cenotaph Corner. Normally seconding doesn't make as much of an impression on you but it is a mighty fine line!
 jezb1 25 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Loads of good days here and abroad but cruising the Plum at Tremadog on a sunny late seasons day was awesome
 Andy Peak 1 25 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Alcasan the Moon and five finger exercise all top noch climbs and will live long in my memory.
 alan moore 26 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Left Scotland at 3am on a star studded September night. First car at Stickle Barn car park and a quiet plod up to the Tarn. Pavey a huge orange dome in the sunrise with steam rising out of Langdale meadows and Windemere a ribbon of mist in the distance.

Crescent Slabs felt like VS but probably because this was my first time out for 3 months. First bit of Golden Slipper was a bit steep but the main pitch was beautiful pocket picking, t shirt warm and only pausing for thought on the tricky spot out on the nose. A much better route than had been expected, nice amble up to the deserted summit for a few minutes sit down.

Wondered if I was brave enough to go and do something on Gimmer but, not wanting to water down the experience, had a wander down White Ghyll instead and went home for lunch.

A perfect climbing day.
In reply to Sl@te Head:
The Needle (E1 5b) on Shelterstone.. Absolutely outstanding route!
Post edited at 11:29
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Trad I think Prismaster in Bohuslan for the quality of the climbing. Sport I think the first ascent of Lucky Break in Australia because I found a neat solution to the crux. Other climbs were perhaps more impressive (notably an inadvertent direct variation on Sungold in Morocco) but these were the most enjoyable.
Post edited at 12:11
 leland stamper 26 Dec 2014
In reply to deepstar:

Crumble- Yep a real lost gem in Avon up there , this year, with discovering outdoor sport wasn't as difficult as I thought and leading Golden Fleece at Symonds Yat easily, and lots more
 Bobling 27 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Glancing through my logbook I realise I got more done than I thought I did (i.e not much rather than almost nothing). For type 1 fun a link up of the Arete and Bob's Climb at Avon. Met a new partner at the top at 8.00 a.m. on the day of the Climb Bristol Festival intending to do Morpheus as I had not done it yet this year (still four days left so all to play for!) but got warned off by Martin Crocker as they were working underneath it to set up the Festival, was a nice thing to shake his hand so good start to the day! Consolation climb was the two above, Arete I'd done before but was still lovely to have hands on nice warm rock before 9.00 a.m., then Bob's Climb which I somehow had never done despite being a regular visitor to the Gorge for about five years now. After an amusing route finding issue the rest of the climb was great and I was home and hosed before midday to look after the kids so my OH could go out on a hen night. A lovely mid summer stress free Avon half day, and a new partner and name to drop to boot.

Type 2 fun was Slanting Buttress Ridge Route on Lliwedd recently, my first route in North Wales and my first mountain route. A diff on paper but all slick/wet/greasy. A day to remember!

Good thread cheers - nice to think of warm rock on a cold Winter's eve.
 Cardi 27 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Winter - Thoroughly enjoyed the traverse of An Teallach in Alpine conditions
Summer - Old man of Hoy and the experience of staying on Hoy around the time of the longest day was right up there.
 Jenny Monkey 28 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

climbing 'The Sound of Silence' in Sardinia, my first multipitch sport route with my lead being an awesome pitch of textured rock, with my husband and climbing besties...
 Cheese Monkey 28 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Too many! Ones that stand out though
White Rhino Tea, Berry Head, my hardest DWS to date
Kangaroo Wall, best route so far at Wintours
West Face of Australia link up, a fantastic day out
Hercules, Cala Barques, great fun DWS jug swinging
Exposure Explosion, Ogmore, mad in every way
Limbo, Avon, I think I will be doing this one alot more
Silhouette Arete, Swanage, stunning second pitch and a great day out with my wife who enjoyed it too
Elysium, Swanage, first proper sea cliff E1 and it was great
 Rachel Slater 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Probably the Axe on Cloggy in the morning sunshine. Good summer memories.
 Bulls Crack 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Chreon on Scimitar Ridge. Not the best climb in the world but absorbing...particulalry so with no chalked holds,

Chreon (E2 5b)

Sport: the Jim Grin at Trollers
Bluewater 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

my fav was the Alps
 kipper12 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

With a nod to,the OP, a grand day out in Dinorwic slate quarries.
 petegunn 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Mountain Route: Leading Saxon on Scafell in shorts and t-shirt.
Single Pitch: Doing my project at Armathwaite, "Scallop" with a group of mates.
Bouldering: Not done much this year but doing the sitter into The Arête at St. Bees.
Winter: Doing the Aonach Eagach ridge after a superb night at the Kings House and seeing the Northern Lights.

And nearly doing 100 in a day 97!

Here's to the next climbing year! Woo hoo : )
 solomonkey 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Got to be private prosecution and legal action at horseshoe quarry , sun was out yet most places damp or seeping so these 2 routes saved the day
 Jon Stewart 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Colza:

> Got to be private prosecution and legal action at horseshoe quarry

Let's hope things turn around for you in 2015!
 ripper 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

For me it should probably have been either Cenotaph Corner, on my birthday, or Sound of Silence on the final day of a relaxing week in Sardinia. But I fell off the top moves of the Corner which spoilt it just slightly (only slightly, but still...) and we actually never did Sound of Silence, as we chose a long trad route on Monte Odeu instead, which consisted of several pitches of vertical tree-bashing before deciding we were lost, and then a not altogether pleasant retreat. So, the award goes to Digitron, on Craig Arthur.
 tomrainbow 04 Jan 2015
In reply to ripper:

Doing the first ascent of See-Saw Sundays at Churston was the highlight for me, but really the highlight has been developing the crag and seeing other people enjoying it.
 solomonkey 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Yeah cheers and you
 Mr-Cowdrey 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Superdirect on Dinas Mot.

THE best E1 I've climbed! Great rock, amazing friction, the exposure was brilliant and the moves just kept flowing

Great end to a weekend up in North Wales.
 JM 05 Jan 2015
Mine was Vennerne at Shipwreck cove. I warmed up on it putting the draws it and it felt really hard and I didn't feel like I had a chance of doing it that day. I had half an hour rest then climbed it with everything going really smoothly. This was my most enjoyable route this year because I surprised myself and route is really good.

Ciderslider 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

July was magical for me - two iconic routes that I never thought I'd be good enough to do - early in july a beta flash of Flying buttress Direct, then two weeks later a clean onsight of cemetery gates - my first E1
 The Ivanator 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Bit of a quiet year on the climbing front for me with a wonderful (but demanding) 2 year old boy at home. Still had a few good moments though, an early summer day on Sergeant Crag Slabs in Borrowdale leading the brilliant HVSes Lakeland Cragsman and Terminator 2 was probably the pick.
 Wally 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Squareface.

Mtb in, walk, climb, sun (+wind), walk, mtb out, pub.....great day.
 Mark Eddy 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

There have been so many memorable days. The best probably being 'The Crack' on Gimmer during one of those warm spells we had in the Lakes. Brilliant day with perfect company.
 Big Steve 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I havent got out much again this year, one of the few days out I had was at the Roaches, Pedestal Route followed immediately by Black Velvet was the highlight of the day.
 Anhibian 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Dorsal Arete no question. Spectacular day out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...