UKC

where to climb tomorrow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Heading into the peaks tomorrow for a spot of bouldering. Does anyone know what the roads are like getting out to crags from sheffield/chesterfield after friday nights snow?

Thanks
 Si dH 27 Dec 2014
In reply to Charley17:

Roads around Burbage seem pretty bad from photos on Facebook. Not sure otherwise, cratcliffe area may be best. Would much appreciate a conditions report, let us know what you find!
In reply to Charley17:

Managed to get one Boulder in at Burnage South today. Walk in fun but realistically it'll all be too icy and wet on the freestanding boulders tomorrow. You might get something sheltered in on one of the more sheltered edges - Burbage North or Birchen maybe. Roads are okay and cleared well during course of the day - just take it steady until lunchtime as the water run off and slush will freeze over tonight.

Jon Stewart 27 Dec 2014
In reply to Charley17:

Not sure about the roads, but when it's snowy, climbable problems are few and far between. Ones that tend to stay dry off the top of my head include Hamper's Hang (maybe the other traverses up there too) and Conan/David.
In reply to Charley17:

Not too bads, but you could always stay at homes.
 Si dH 28 Dec 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Surprised hampers stays dry, is it completely overhung from above?
 Jon Stewart 28 Dec 2014
In reply to Si dH:

> Surprised hampers stays dry, is it completely overhung from above?

I think it needs to be proper cold, nothing dripping, but I've definitely climbed it in fully snowy conditions.
The three ships were mostly dry on top of birchen today, far too wet for trad with water running down the rocks. Roads ok to birchen from chesterfield with only robin hood car park very icy. Great clear day!
Does anyone know what the roads around stanage are like?
 deepsoup 28 Dec 2014
In reply to Charley17:
> Does anyone know what the roads around stanage are like?

Not me I'm afraid. I do know that Froggatt and Curbar are both very accessible though. (Lots of cars in the layby next to the Grouse today, the one further down on the bend, by the Chequers and also at Curbar Gap.)

I wheezed my way along the top path from Curbar Gap down to the White Gate as part of what I laughingly like to refer to as "a run" today. (Wow, what a beautiful day!) I didn't venture down below the crag at any point, but there was some brave soul looking steady on Bacteria Cafeteria as I passed Chequers Buttress, and conditions were looking pretty good.

E2A:
Stanage, by contrast, looked from that distance to be more or less buried.
Post edited at 22:36
In reply to Charley17:

Froggatt accessible and doable in places. Some routes okay and pinnacle boulders largely in.

Tintin

danm 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Charley17:

Froggatt - Narcissus, Oedipus and Mint 400 were all in today, as was Tody's Playground. A lot of the crag was damp, and got much worse with run-off through the day. Browns Eliminate and Chequers Buttress were dry, but not much else that I looked at. Roads were fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...