UKC

Climbing Holds: Does quality matter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jwhepper 28 Dec 2014
I'm thinking of building a small bouldering wall in a spare room in my house and am looking at buying some holds. The difference in price between some websites and shops is astounding and I was wondering, is there really much difference between cheap or 'high quality' holds? I can see that the high quality holds have more interesting designs but I'm just looking to have some simple holds for training!

Anyone give me any help? Or does anyone who has built there own wall have any advice?

Thanks for any help,
John-William
 chris fox 28 Dec 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

I've got 100 holds of various sizes that are unused and for sale. PM me and I'll fill in the details of what I have

Chris
 john arran 28 Dec 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

I have a lot of holds from a wide variety of manufacturers and I've noticed no correlation between price and quality. Admittedly I haven't had to pay for that many of them and am only guessing at their relative retail cost, but the best holds I have are from both 'posh' brands and cheapies, and I also have ones I really don't like from both as well.

The two main things to consider are training usefulness (are they dangerously crimpy or nicely curved?) and whether you'll be keen to use them any more enthusiastically if they're interesting shapes rather than simple blocks.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 28 Dec 2014
In reply to jwhepper:
Personally im a big fan of wooden holds. Very gentle on the skin and very cheap compared to plastic, assuming you make your own.

If you're going to get plastic holds it's worth asking around at local walls for second hand holds. Generally a lot cheaper than new and pre-worn in so you don't have to waste too much skin/rubber breaking in new holds.

ed: worth investing in some small foot chips though, plastic versions are much more robust than the wooden equivalents.
Post edited at 22:18
 Boulderdaz 29 Dec 2014
In reply to jwhepper:
Hi

I wouldn't necessarily say a huge difference in quality, but you may prefer the texture / finish from one type of brand over another. I also rate wooden holds too - very soft on the skin, and much harder to hold due to lack of texture, so it will depend on what level you train at IMO.

If you are after holds, I have quite a lot spare that I can sell cheap. I'm in Milton Keynes if that's any good. Pm me if you're interested.

Daz
Post edited at 17:13
 Fraser kid 07 Jan 2015
In reply to jwhepper:

If you're using them for training I would definitely recommend wooden holds. Wager holds (they have a website and ebay page) are excellent. Also I made a load of holds from scraps of wood, a jigsaw and a sander (a lathe would be ideal!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...