UKC

NEW ARTICLE: 2014: The (climbing) year that was...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 31 Dec 2014
2014 in pictures..., 5 kb2014: The year of the Scottish Referendum, conflict in the Crimea and Gaza, aviation disasters, the Ebola epidemic, the first comet landing and the infamous "selfie". It was a year filled with a heady mix of excitement, tragedy and bewilderment. But what were the top stories hitting the headlines in the climbing world?

In this article I take at look at the most memorable news and events of this year, which inspired, shocked and undoubtedly left us with sweaty palms and an overly-ambitious tick-list for 2015...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6936
 goose299 31 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC Articles:

Just think mountain spirit could have featured in the December section had he finally made it to the grit.
 The Pylon King 31 Dec 2014

A bit premature, there is still one day to go and i might get my project done today.
 Brendan 31 Dec 2014

Is Dave Macleod's new route in the Dolomites missing from the list? I think he climbed it in September?
In reply to Brendan:

Indeed it is - I've just added it in. Likely to be some omissions as so much happened!

Cheers!

alasdair19 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

good article
 Cassidy 01 Jan 2015

Will Atkinson Christmas Eve ascent of New Statesman to go with Steve Dunning's

Thanks - added it in, and Jakob's 9b too. Wasn't expecting that on the very last day of the year...

Henward Nind climbed 8a... and he is a banana (doesn't even have to wear a costume)
 Wry Gob 01 Jan 2015

T'was a very quiet year indeed north of the border, summer and winter...
 flaneur 01 Jan 2015

A parochial summary of (rock)climbing that made UKC news this year.

Yet again Pete Whittacker's ascent of Freerider is described as the first time El Cap was flashed. It clearly was not since Cedric Lachat made an ascent in identical style in 2009. I don't see why this is seemingly so hard to grasp.

Lachat's ascent wasn't claimed as a first flash and I'm not sure why the rule book has been rewritten since then. Both are extremely impressive efforts but we're still waiting for the elusive fall- free ascent of El Cap.
 jess 01 Jan 2015

Robbie's ascent of Bellavista should surely be on here?! He's a hero!
 stp 01 Jan 2015
Ondra not only won the lead World Championships but the boulder as well - taking both is more than twice as impressive. He then totally dominated in the La Sportiva legends event. Finally he onsighted two 9a's. Surely all these should be in the list.
Post edited at 20:51
 henwardian 01 Jan 2015
In reply to Robbie_Phillips:

> Henward Nind climbed 8a... and he is a banana (doesn't even have to wear a costume)

Shhhh!
I want to burst out of left field next year with a string of 8a naked solos.
 Chris_Mellor 02 Jan 2015

With such a storing 2014 will we see a female lead of Indian Face in 2015?
 Brendan 03 Jan 2015

Yeah, totally understandable! Nice article

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...