UKC

Advice - winter boots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BAdhoc 05 Jan 2015
Hi, I'm wondering if I could get some alive on winter boots. I'm starting winters stuff soon and am debating between b2 and b3 boots.

Realistically I'll be doing lakes/Scotland easy stuff this winter with the intention of harder stuff and alps/Mont Blanc in the next 2-3 years.

I was looking At the mammut magic/scarpa manta pro then found the scarpa clearance site has womens Mont Blanc GTX boots at £150 which is pretty much the same price as a b2 and was wondering if it was worth just buying them.

Any advice/experience would be helpful, thanks!
 matthew 05 Jan 2015
In reply to BAdhoc:

Try them on. Comfort and some warmth are more desirable than full rigidity for summer alpine normal routes (typically one ice axe, lots of walking).
 tehmarks 05 Jan 2015
In reply to BAdhoc:

The most important aspect by far is that the boot fits you well (and I don't just mean size) - which you'll only find out by going into a shop and trying pairs on. Having a badly-fitting boot will be an utterly miserable, painful experience.

Beyond that, I was debating the same question recently myself and came to the conclusion that a pair of B3 boots straight off would suit my own aspirations better than buying a pair of B2 boots now and potentially having to buy another pair of boots again in the next couple of years. It depends on what you intend on getting up to - whether you have your sights on harder technical climbing or not. But I'm a newbie when it comes to big boots, so take that with a pinch of salt.
 Michael Gordon 05 Jan 2015
In reply to BAdhoc:

I'd just get the B3 boots. Much of the time in summer you'll probably just have lightweight boots or approach shoes anyway so getting B2 ones won't necessarily stop you from doubling up.
 butteredfrog 05 Jan 2015
In reply to BAdhoc:

If you are small of foot, you won't notice much difference between B2 and B3 anyway, you want comfort and warmth for Scottish winter, go with what fits best. Nothing spoils a trip quicker than uncomfortable boots.
 Brian Pollock 05 Jan 2015
In reply to BAdhoc:
If you get some decent B2's second hand on ebay or on here you could probably sell them after a year or so if you wanted to upgrade. I did this and in the end only ended up £30 out of pocket.

If you know you will ultimately upgrade, I wouldn't waste the money on new B2s!

Also, I found B2s perfectly fine for my first alps trip although as ability / aspirations increase they will hold you back down the line.
Post edited at 09:34
 timmeehhhh 05 Jan 2015
In reply to BAdhoc:

I had the same problem some years ago and went with B2 boots, as they were cheaper, lighter and more comfortable. These boots have served me well with classical alpine stuff up to AD+ and 55º snow/ice slopes. Now that I have B3 boots for steeper stuff, I really appreciate the relative walking comfort of the B2 boots, except on snow and ice were the added weight and rigidity of the B3's make for better foot placements.
 Jasonic 05 Jan 2015
In reply to BAdhoc:

Worth being really fussy about this as miss fitting boots can ruin any trip! Needlesports are good.
B3 boots are better for MB and anything involving steeper ground as more secure.
Once you know what fits you- can keep a look out for online bargains!
In reply to BAdhoc:
IMO, socks make the most of a mountain boot. Invest in socks.

As for the boots, I've used a pair of LaSportiva Nepal (1st gen) for almost 20 years. This year I've bought a radically different model, SCARPA Ultra Rebel GTX. In my lifetime I'll probably buy another pair or two. Don't worry too much about the cost of the boots. Try as many as you can, and look for fit above anything else. I'm sure the Mont Blanc GTX is top notch construction and features wise. I love my Ultra Rebel GTX, which is a slimmed down incredibly light version of the Mont Blanc series. SCARPA does manufacture high quality boots across their entire range.

But really you should try them on before buying. Bring your crampons too. FYI, SCARPA usually works best with Petzl crampons. I had already Cassin crampons and they fit fine under my SCARPA boots, but they're not perfect.
Post edited at 09:54

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...