UKC

Transfer images from an SD card to an iPhone in the field

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 05 Jan 2015
Hi

I'm looking for a way to transfer images from an SD card to an iPhone in the field. So ideally, an SD card reader for the iPhone 5s that will enable me to then use the phone to upload the images to social media etc?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Si
 Mike-W-99 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Si Withington:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD822ZM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-rea...
Cheaper options obviously available.

Or depending on your camera you can use an app and the cameras wifi (my powershot certainly does)
OP Si Withington 05 Jan 2015
In reply to prog99:

Not compatible with an iPhone pal
 Carolyn 05 Jan 2015

I've not found a way (apart from having a 3G iPad, which isn't exactly what you asked for!)
 london_huddy 05 Jan 2015
Don't think that you can do this without an eyefi card or similar (which uses wifi) - jail-breaking your phone might give you options but at your own risk of course.

Edited to say that this can work with your phone's wifi hotspot feature but is battery intensive for both phone and camera (which needs to be on to power the eyefi card).
Post edited at 19:38
 Mike-W-99 05 Jan 2015

Of course, they were orginally (wrongly) advertised as being compatible.
OP Si Withington 05 Jan 2015
In reply to london_huddy:

I don't know much about Eye-fi etc, apart from it hammers the battery.

Can you decide when the card transfers the images to the phone, or does it continually try? Any info on options and how they work would be great.

Cheers
 london_huddy 05 Jan 2015

It's continuous as long as the connection is there so you could shoot with the camera and then when things calm down switch on the phone, activate the hotspot and then the transfer should commence. The card will, in the mean time, continue searching however, at the expense of battery life. I don't think that you can deactivate the wireless function but stand ready to be corrected - I've not used them for a while.
 rallymania 05 Jan 2015

it's something that's puzzled me for a while... why do apple have a "camera kit" for the ipad but stop it from working on the iphone?

Doad13 06 Jan 2015

Si, if your camera has wifi capability you could transfer them from an app by that manufacturer ie. Sony have an app called PlayMemories Mobile.

I use this which seems pretty good, you can also remote capture depending on model of camera. I then back all the images up to a portable wifi drive (Seagate wireless plus).
 Carolyn 06 Jan 2015
In reply to rallymania:
The forums seem to suggest it's because the power requirement is quite high for a phone, but I've no idea at all if that's true!
Doesn't seem to square with the fact you could get it work on earlier versions do the iPhone if they were jailbroken.
Post edited at 21:30
 EspenK 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Carolyn:

I'm also interested in this. As an alternative, are there dongles or something that can be connected to the camera by cable and transfer pictures wirelessly?
 Cobbler 07 Jan 2015
 Doad13 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Cobbler:

Just a thought, while I was looking for the wifi hard drive i came across the link below, it looks to be a portable battery which has a wifi module and SD card reader you could plug your card in then transfer the media.

http://www.kingston.com/en/wireless/wireless_readers#mlw221
OP Si Withington 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Doad13:

Looks good, cheers, will check it out.
 rallymania 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Carolyn:

or why a USB to go cable works on practically every android phone
 hamsforlegs 09 Jan 2015
In reply to rallymania:

This is a non-issue for Androids, but I don't think Apple products support USB OTG.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...