UKC

head torchs without stupid short boost features

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 theterrorwheel 12 Jan 2015
My led lenses h7 has fallen apart, was about to purchase a lenser h14.2r which is 850lumens but only for 30secs which is pathetic if in an emergency situation, so wandering is there ANY Head torch's that don't have a stupid 30sec boost function but also a decent amount of lumens?
 duncan 12 Jan 2015
moffatross 12 Jan 2015
In reply to theterrorwheel:

Consider getting one of the Chinese made 'Solar Storm' bike lights and a headstrap to fit it. It'll give you lots and lots of lumens even on its low power setting and at least 2-3 hours of running time before needing to swap batteries. A few weeks ago when we made our way off the north side of Sgurr na Stri in the dark, walking back to Elgol via the Bad Step and cliff paths, I was still using the small battery that came with the lamp, and the large capacity battery in my pack untouched.
 Neil Pratt 12 Jan 2015

The H14.2r has 350 lumens without the boost, which is pretty hefty for walking with. The Lenser seo5 chucks out about 180 lumens, which I've used on occasions for mountain biking with - also saw me through the night nav on my summer ML, if that's not enough, the seo7 has 220lumens.

I get the impression that the problem with high power head torches is the heat issue - you can get mountain bike lights with significantly higher light output, but they tend to come with heavy aluminium casings with cooling fins, and rely on decent airflow over them to keep within their operating limits. You could possibly use one of them if you were running with it, but if it's for walking, I suspect you might not be moving rapidly enough to keep it cool at high outputs.
 Simon Caldwell 12 Jan 2015

Why not another h7? Or an h14.2r but don't use the boost (it's not mandatory!)
Or a Petzl Nao (£100 from decathlon, or £120 from Swaledale Outdoors if you want to support small businesses).

The 30 second boost wouldn't be for an emergency situation. It would be for a quick look into the distance to try to find a landmark for navigation.
 wilkesley 12 Jan 2015

Depends on how long you want the battery to last. I got one of these: http://bit.ly/creeheadlamp Use it both as headtorch an bike front light. Not sure how the battery lasts - have used it for 2hrs on the medium setting when cycling and it was still going.

It's on ebay, so UKC won't let me post a direct link.

The bright setting is seriously bright. Our hersdman uses it to spot cows at the opposite end of fields in the dark.
In reply to wilkesley:

Ive an almost new Lenser seo7R going still boxed used twice
220 lumens great wide beam £40 posted

The reason Im after higher lumens is I use a 900l on MTB handlebars but need something on the helmet to watch out the sneaky hidden boulders on night rides, the h7 couldnt cope with those, looks like a deal extreme special is the only way forward, I really like the led lenser torch's but was fully disappointed you only get the full power for 30secs at the price it is.
 Simon Caldwell 12 Jan 2015

You might have had more helpful answers if you'd posted in the cycling forum rather than climbing
m0unt41n 12 Jan 2015

This should do you nicely with the power belt

http://www.samalite.com/hl3000w/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...