UKC

4 days to race day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kimono 14 Jan 2015
Have my first competitive road race on sunday. A fairly easy flat 120kms, but there will be some serious riders competing.
Had a few days off over the weekend due to heavy rain and have now done two rides, yesterday 40km, some climbing average 28kph, and then today 80km flat at 28kph.

What is the modern thinking for the few days before race day? My sense is to do a couple of easyish rides thurs/fri and then rest sat.

all advice greatly received
 AlisonSmiles 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

All I have to offer is oil your chain, check your headset!
 Dark-Cloud 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Is it a mass start road race or sportive, which event is it ?
 Escher 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Don't rest the day before, do a race tune-up ride. This will keep your legs firing but you will remain fresh. Having a day off can make you sluggish.

Race tune-up ride:-

15 mins warm up
1 1/2 hours at endurance/zone 2 pace interspersed with 3 x 1 minute sprints with a least 5 minutes easy spinning in between and 3 x 30 sec all out efforts with at least 5 minutes easy riding in between.
15 mins cool down

On the other days between now and then, keep the intensity of what you normally do but shorten the length by a 1/3 to a 1/2. So if you would normally go out for a ride tomorrow, make it shorter but don't ride with a lower intensity than you would to train normally. Ideally you'd follow that principle for a week before the race but it does depend on the riding you normally do, how hard and important the race is and how often you race.
OP Kimono 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Is it a mass start road race or sportive, which event is it ?

its a sportive but for several different levels. I am entering the 'professionals' level which is the top one.
This is basically a race. Not sure how the start will be but knowing this country, a bit of a free for all
OP Kimono 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Escher:

wow, thats quite different from the advice i have been given from a semi-pro but old-school friend

i like it though! Thanks
 Escher 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

I've done well in hard sportives with that routine the day before. It comes from Coggan and Allen's training and racing advice (they wrote the bible on training with power, in fact they came up with terms like FTP in the first place).

LastBoyScout 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Check everything is working, but don't over-fuss, or you might end up breaking something. Check all bolts are tight on your shoes and bottle cages. Lube chain.

Double check you have everything, from food to drinks, to spare tubes, etc.

Have a ride, but don't push it. Drink plenty, get an early night.
OP Kimono 15 Jan 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

early night for sure as its a 5am start to get to the race!

thanks for the advice
OP Kimono 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Escher:

> I've done well in hard sportives with that routine the day before. It comes from Coggan and Allen's training and racing advice (they wrote the bible on training with power, in fact they came up with terms like FTP in the first place).

ok, i will follow your advice and report back!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...