UKC

New light do-it-all rucsac ~35/40l?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 21 Jan 2015
Always love a good gear discussion...

Currently I use 3 packs for nearly everything, a 15l Black Diamond one for knocking about town, runs, and summer day walks, a 28l Montane Cobra for long climbs in the summer and winter day walks, and a 45l POD Thin Ice for winter climbing and light one night trips.

Gear is getting so much lighter and smaller (and I probably carry less nowadays too) so I barely ever find myself filling my POD sac even in the winter, so was thinking of getting one pack of about 35/40l that do it all (knocking about town/long runs/summer and winter walks/occasional overnight trips).

Would like it to be under 1kg. Any suggestions?
 HeMa 21 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

> Would like it to be under 1kg. Any suggestions?

'Ryx Alpha FL 40?
OP JayPee630 21 Jan 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Oh, good call! Forgotten that one.
 AlanLittle 21 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Blue Ice Warthog?
 aldo56 21 Jan 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

This was going to be my suggestion.
In reply to JayPee630:

Omm Jirishanca or the Classic 32.
 alastairbegley 21 Jan 2015
In reply to David Barlow:

brilliant pack! used it for scottish winter climbing, alpine summer ridges, alpine summer multi pitch, summer backpacking, and easy multi pitch sport climbing
OP JayPee630 21 Jan 2015
In reply to David Barlow:

Yeah, I'd like to try that Patagonia one as have heard it's great, just wish they made it in black or dark grey though!

The Blue Ice Warthog is a bit too much of a climbing specialized pack for this I think. Have looked at the OMM packs but not too keen on the newer models.
Climber Phil 21 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630: either the arcteryx alpha fl 30 or 40. The Patagonia ascensionist is really faffy, doesn't hold the tools properly. The arc's are simple but do the job superbly.

AlanLittle 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

> Omm Jirishanca or the Classic 32.

I have an OMM Villain, and I like many things about it, but the fixed non-extendable lid is a disaster. I wouldn't buy another one - or a Jirishanca - because of this.
 Siward 21 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Perhaps Aguille, e.g. their Stratos or Cirrus?

http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/shop/4/77/index.htm
 wbo 21 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630: i like my osprey mutant 38 but would hate to use it for running. I'd use it for everything else tho'

George Fisher 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Siward:

I have a Aiguille Cirrus. Love it but the fixed lid isn't the most flexible. If I was buying again I'd get an extendable/temovable lid and a longer snow skirt for over packing. I was going to modify mine but might just try an Arc'tyrex FL45, the best designed pack I've seen in a while. Looks like a great set of features. The Patagonia looks a bit over complicated by comparison.
In reply to wbo:

> i like my osprey mutant 38 but would hate to use it for running. I'd use it for everything else tho'

Agreed, love my Mutant, for cragging and ice climbing walk ins but 38 litres for me is a big bag to run with, not so much weight wise but size wise.
 galpinos 22 Jan 2015
In reply to wattie1992:

The mutant 38 is also massive, far bigger than 38L!

AlanLittle 22 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

I just noticed needlesports has a cheap offer on the Patagonia Ascensionist 35:

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Rucksacks/Winter-Alpine-Climbing/Asce...

I'd definitely buy one at that price if I were currently in need of a rucksack
 Phil1919 22 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Not sure I could use the same sack for all those things. I wouldn't knock around town with a sack that is also big enough for overnighters. I use a cycling courier bag for that. I like your thinking, but I think less than 3 different sized carriers, and you'll lose more than you gain.
OP JayPee630 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Phil1919:
I know, and I kind of agree it'll be a compromise, but indulge my thinking!

And realistically when I think of the times I've run with a rucsac in the last year or so, it turns out to be about zero, so that's probably not a consideration really.

Just seen this Macpac one which looks interesting and not their usual thing http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Rucksacks/Crag-Sacks/NZAT-Pursuit#.VM...
Post edited at 09:23
 Phil1919 22 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

It must sound negative, but its a compromise that won't pay off in my opinion. Going lightweight pays itself back. So a quality simple bumbag, a quality daysack, and an Osprey mutant 38, would be my line. It will spread the wear around so they will all last forever, you won't be tempted to take too much, and your 'pack' will feel right each time you go out and not be a liability. You could compromise with 1 or 2 pieces of kit for a bit to hold out for buying quality each time, as something cheap just won't last.

As I haven't indulged your thinking, apologies for post!!
OP JayPee630 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten I have a small bumbag for some runs, and not planning on getting rid of that.
 iksander 22 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Lomo 40L. Cheap, waterproof, bombproof under 1kg
OP JayPee630 22 Jan 2015
In reply to iksander:

Did look at that, but not sure I can have a bright orange bag for day to day use!
 steveshaking 22 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

That sack looks very neat.
I have just started with a Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack 35-45. Its very well thought out and been great in use so far, a lot better than my previous Blue Ice pack. But while its a neat design I can't see it being the best pack to run with and like the Mutant I would say its bigger than their stated volume.
In reply to JayPee630:

Plus 1 for the Patagonia Ascensionist, an awesome piece of gear.
OP JayPee630 23 Jan 2015
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Yup, I'd be keen on one of them, and they've just brought some new colours out, but not one in black or dark grey, just vile yellow, shocking orange, or bright blue!
 iksander 23 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

I think I need to pay more attention to my colour scheme, I look like I've clothed myself from a skip most of the time
In reply to JayPee630:

Out of interest, why do you need black or grey?
 soularch 23 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Got Mutant for winter climbing and the smaller ascencionist for summer. Both great sacks. The Mutant is lightweight-ish for winter but feature rich which I like. Patagucci one is ultra-stripped back.
OP JayPee630 23 Jan 2015
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
Personal preference really, doesn't have to be black or grey really, but I'd just really rather prefer a duller/more neutral colour that doesn't clash and isn't so stand out obvious when I'm just using the bag day to day.
Post edited at 11:16
OP JayPee630 23 Jan 2015
In reply to iksander:

Covered yourself in glue and run naked through a charity shop is my way of describing that!
In reply to JayPee630:

Fair one
matejn 23 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Mammut Trion light 40 might be worth to look at.
 ashpreston 25 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:
I've got both warthog and ascentionist. Had warthog nearly two years and still looks brand new, the acsentionist about eight months and already showing signs of wear. I love both and prefer the features of the acsentionist but I think the warthog is much more durable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...