UKC

Recovery from a 100 miler

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
notaclue 21 Jan 2015
So I am entered for the lakeland 100 end of July and also fancy doing Ultra Pirineau in Spain in early September. My theory being I will never be as fit as I will be this year.

My concern is that I wouldn't be properly recovered in time. The furthest I have run to date is 50 miles so 100 is stepping into the great unknown

Any advice don't want to enter pay for flights etc and not be able to do it
 DancingOnRock 21 Jan 2015
In reply to notaclue:

Don't know. It'll be individual. The oft quoted one day for every mile comes to mind. Works ok for me for halfs but for maras it's shorter for me.

Having said that lots of plans have 6 week cycles or four week cycles. I would have thought 6 weeks would be more than enough to recover from any mileage.
 Bob 21 Jan 2015
In reply to notaclue:

You could ask on the FRA forums, Baggins on there has done it a couple of times.

Recovery is very individual though: I was running again four days after my Bob Graham and racing in ten days but others have taken several weeks to recover. After one half marathon it took me two weeks to recover. So that's 14 days to recover from 13 miles, but four days after a 66 miler.

How long did it take you to recover from the 50 miler? What sort of ground did it cover?
 Banned User 77 21 Jan 2015
In reply to notaclue:

It really is impossible to answer..

I find that physically I can recover before I'm mentally ready..

I did the WHW and 6 weeks later the Paddy Buckley but the WHW went very badly so I was itching to have a good crack the second big run.

It's close but not out of the question.. almost 2 months.. Pirineau is the 20th Sept isn't it? A good 8 weeks..

It depends what you want from them as well, completions or quick times.
Moley 21 Jan 2015
In reply to notaclue:

As Iain says, impossible to say especially if it is your first time at the distance, there are so many imponderables.

I would suggest that much will depend on how hard you push yourself; run within your ability, don't obsess with pace or places and approach it with the aim of simply finishing and enjoying (conditions permitting!). Do this and you should be OK in 8 weeks, physically and mentally. Push a little harder and stress about results on the 100 and you may find something lacking. Good luck.
notaclue 21 Jan 2015
In reply to notaclue:

My aim would be to complete both not bothered about time just finishing within cut offs

The 50 mile race I did in the lakes in October. Don't really know how long it took me to recover because as soon as I finished the race I enjoyed two months of laziness!

Thanks all for replying, guess deciding factor will be my wife!!!!
 Wonrek 02 Mar 2015
In reply to notaclue:
It really depends on the terrain and as you're first big one is LL100......good luck!

That being said, I'm banking on a four week recovery after doing LL100 myself (should be oodles of time???) before I'm off to UTMB at the end of August. I'm hoping that it'll be enough physical and as was previously mentioned mental recovery time to be back at the top of my own particular game.

We'll see!

What races do you have in the run up to LL?
Post edited at 21:44
notaclue 04 Mar 2015
In reply to Wonrek:

> It really depends on the terrain and as you're first big one is LL100......good luck!

> That being said, I'm banking on a four week recovery after doing LL100 myself (should be oodles of time???) before I'm off to UTMB at the end of August. I'm hoping that it'll be enough physical and as was previously mentioned mental recovery time to be back at the top of my own particular game.

> We'll see!

> What races do you have in the run up to LL?

Well I am in both races so no turning back now, very excited to go and run in Pyrenees.

Wonrek the only race I have planned prior to ll100 is Ennerdale fell race. Also planning to spend a day running the wasdale Keswick section there and back.

Rest of the time it is just training in the Peak District. 3 one hour hilly runs (one of which is hill reps, just come back from doing one just now) and a long run of between 3 and 6 hours at the weekend, each week. No idea if that is enough but it will have to do.

See you in coniston in July

Wonrek 05 Mar 2015
In reply to notaclue:

Is this your first 100? I've done a few now and some are easier to recover from than others. I think however LL is going to be on the harder end of the recovery scale..... god help us both!

Training wise I always try to add in a few races that I look on as training runs more than races. I've got Green man this weekend which is a nice re-introduction to distance after the winter months (45 miles) then Fellsman at the end of April which is 60 something in the Dales (bloody hard one that!) I've nothing after that before LL but I will think about trying to get at least another 100k or a back to back 50 miler weekend in the interim.

Everyone's different but for myself I've found each time I complete a long distance run I find the recovery times just get better so hoping that I can continue this trend without breaking myself again! Last year I wound up with quite severe anaemia after too many races in rapid succession (think 6 x 100s in a seven month period and a few 100ks and a mountain marathon thrown in for good measure....)
XXXX 05 Mar 2015
In reply to notaclue:

It's taken me nearly three years to recover from the LL100 so far...

To me your training schedule looks inadequate for the sheer length and difficulty of the Lakeland100. Are you planning on doing anything over 50 miles? What about night running? If you can't manage a big run or two, do back to backs as Wonrek is.

I was doing 30/20 weekends back to back three weeks in a row at the end of my training and I did the route from Pooley Bridge to Keswick over two/three days about a month before. I started at 6pm, ran til about 2-3am and bivvied overnight before breakfast and supplies in Ambleside. Day two I ran to the Blacksail YHA where I chose to pay and escape midges and day three I ran to Keswick with a twisted ankle but I was there about 11am. I had a pub lunch and got the bus to Pooley Bridge. I got all my training in one weekend!

For info, it took me 32 hours on race day which is not especially quick.

The Potato 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Wonrek:

Ive emailed you, check your junk folder if not in your inbox, thanks.
 Roadrunner5 02 Apr 2015
In reply to notaclue:
How is the training going?

You should have a clue from big efforts how quick you can recover.

If a big 30-40 mile day/race leaves you dead for weeks then I'd forget it. I'd expect to be back running within the week in the build up to 100, even the next few days. I know before the WHW I raced a club 4 miler 4 days after a 53 miler. I was sore but still sub 6 pace.

The main thing is long runs and not be injured. If they do injure you then realistically, I doubt your chances.

Sorry.. (IainRUK/RoadrunnerV2/V3/V4.. now V5...)
Post edited at 04:24
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I hadn't noticed the numbers going up, are you having to register a new email account for each number?

sorry for the for the off topic subject. But it just seems interesting.
 Roadrunner5 02 Apr 2015
In reply to John Simpson:
Yeah.... I may need to bring in Coyote... each ban is one road runner...

Supposedly I bring nothing..

Just to add I never lie who I am...
Post edited at 05:32
In reply to Roadrunner5:
Somethings gone off then, more than you saying you don't know why you were banned. It's a different approach you've got anyway I hope you've got the legs to see it through. I was told by a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend's best friend that the moderators of UKC have got a moderator log on only link to a database table which has descriptions of us which they can use to form their judgements. with comments like this 'guys a dick' I once raised this question on the forum and the only person who even posted a passing comment was off duty, which personally i don't think is a personal profile I think it's a GCHQ hack to help shape forum perception.

For the record, I think Iain brings a lot, just one stubborn individual at times.
Post edited at 05:39
 Roadrunner5 02 Apr 2015
In reply to John Simpson:

I think I either ran too much or drunk too much..

No I think I am genuine. I have fallen out with you for a long time and many others. We'll see.

I just hate the fact UKC say 'NOW' is 'Now/' yet take money off my articles.

TBD
In reply to Roadrunner5:
I come from a family of professional argues, we argue about everything in a soap opera style of debate about how the way the world works every day, when we're not arguing, we're thinking about arguing, dreaming about arguing or getting down and dirty planning for the next argument. Many people cannot see that this form of debate is because we all deeply love each other, they think we just like shouting and talking shit but there you go. Maybe you're a distant relation. Is Forrest Gump one of your heroes?
Post edited at 05:52
notaclue 12 May 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> How is the training going?

> You should have a clue from big efforts how quick you can recover.

> If a big 30-40 mile day/race leaves you dead for weeks then I'd forget it. I'd expect to be back running within the week in the build up to 100, even the next few days. I know before the WHW I raced a club 4 miler 4 days after a 53 miler. I was sore but still sub 6 pace.

> The main thing is long runs and not be injured. If they do injure you then realistically, I doubt your chances.

> Sorry.. (IainRUK/RoadrunnerV2/V3/V4.. now V5...)

Going OK thanks - did big 30 on the sunday, ran 5 on the Monday raced 5 mile fell race on the Wednesday. Everything fine legs and recovery wise. Only issue is a sharp pain in my big toe!!!!

Roadrunner5 12 May 2015
In reply to notaclue:
Good going..

You must be in solid shape then.

Just don't push too much now, keep solid consistent training and avoid injuries and you'll stand a good chance.

I was called up to the GB world trail squad late so have done a short intensive training cycle. Each week has been 90-100 miles and around 15,000 feet of ascent, and each weekend 25-45 miles runs and it's been a big risk and it's now time to drop the miles and ascent and see how it all comes out. Living in the flat lands I needed a 5-6 week block of hills hills hills to condition my legs as the race has 17k of ascent but I'm feeling pretty battered now.
notaclue 20 May 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Some advice please on number and extent of long runs between now and the 100 end of July. This will be my first 100 and for previous ultras my training has always been a bit hit and miss, this time I have had a proper schedule. What I am not clear about is how many long runs between now and the end of July. So any advice would be great

So this is what I have planned

Last weekend did 30miles
Next weekend – 30miles
Weekend 1 – no long run as family commitments
2 – Ennerdale fell race (this may kill me off!!!!!)
3- 35 miles
4- 35 miles
5 - no long run as family commitments
6- 22 miles
7- ?
8- ?
9 – 105 miles race (hopefully)
XXXX 20 May 2015
In reply to notaclue:

I would do some 10-15 milers the day after your 35s and a long one of 50 before race day.

Hth
 Roadrunner5 20 May 2015
In reply to notaclue:
I wouldnt go over 35 in training.. I did 43 recently but that was because I've not ran an ultra for so long.

I'd drop week 3's 35. Long runs every other weekend are enough, in between just do 15-20. You end up losing too much of the midweek training.

I've been doing long runs of 25-43 every weekend to get the height gain in but I feel its actually left me less fit as I've missed too much quality mid week sessions.

wks 7 and 8 I'd do 16 miles or less and 10-13 week 8.
Post edited at 12:26
notaclue 20 May 2015
In reply to notaclue:

Thanks for the advice
notaclue 06 Jul 2015
In reply to notaclue:

So the training has gone well to date - only had a to miss two long runs over the passed few months (due to family commitments and one time I felt rotten.)

No idea whether it is enough or not but we will see.

My question is with less than three weeks now to go what should I be doing running wise? Just did 15 and 35 miles over the weekend

Any more long runs or just keep ticking over with short stuff?

Cheers
 Roadrunner5 06 Jul 2015
In reply to notaclue:

No, maybe 15-20 next week but if you feel you've trained well dont risk it, slowly drop the miles but keep some fairly sharp running in. But just 2-3 hours at most now.
 Wonrek 06 Jul 2015
In reply to notaclue:

Glad to hear the training has gone well that's most of the battle won. If you can turn up to the startline with a good whack of miles in the legs and no injuries you're well on your way!

I'm also doing the 100 this year and I won't be tapering much for it. I have a fairly easy 100k this weekend then will probably back out a few 8-15 milers before the event.

My point is we're all different, do what you feewl suits you. I personally would start killing kittens if I did the whole taper thing and I've found that I recover really quickly now too so don't expect any ill effects from the 100k this weekend.

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, is LL100 your first 100? What sort of mileage have you done in training?
notaclue 07 Jul 2015
In reply to Wonrek:

Yes this is my first 100 miler so a big step into the unknown

My training has gone as well as I could hope really with a long run most weekends, hill reps and shorter runs. Most I have done in one week is 85 miles I think. Could/should have done more but life gets in the way. One of the hardest things was keeping myself sane while running – trying not to think of work for hours on end!!

Mentally I am ready and have worked out a 39 hour schedule (gives me a hour slack). Just not sure how I am going to feel second night in the dark at 2am. Fair to say I am excited and crapping myself in equal measure.

Big question is should I try and get 20 mins sleep each night?

Anyway good luck – see you in Coniston
 Neil Williams 07 Jul 2015
In reply to notaclue:
Not done it running (my legs wouldn't last!) but I have done 2 night long-distance walking and similar, and I find that as long as you keep moving the adrenaline keeps you awake - but you do start getting disoriented, hallucinating etc, and lose any concept of time, and later still in my case I seem to gain a slightly bizarre, childish sense of humour. In some ways a bit like being drunk.

Neil
Post edited at 08:29
 Roadrunner5 07 Jul 2015
In reply to notaclue:

I'd stay awake. It can be tough but like Neil says the adrenalin helps, I found the UTMB OK, it starts in the evening so you dont sleep for a long time, a good 40 hours, but its not as bad as you imagine.
 Wonrek 08 Jul 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Lakeland starts at 6pm so similar timings to UTMB
 Wonrek 08 Jul 2015
In reply to notaclue:

What is your longest single distance to date? I personally 'lose' myself and all my problems while running so I just love it. To be fair there will be an awful lot of walking and you can do yourself a lot of favours if you spend some time training a good paced walk especially on a hill.

I wouldn't recommend sleeping, the first night won't be too bad as you head straight into it so you're relatively fresh in terms of distance. The second night is going to hurt. There's no way around it I've found and I've done two nighters several times now. They just hurt but you just have to stay focused on your finish to get through. Hallucinations are fun and it's all part of the game!
notaclue 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Wonrek:
How did you get on?

Well I did it 38 hours and some minutes, fantastic event I loved it. Amazing how the mind can determine success or failure

Now recovery for ultra pirineau, first thing are my feet. Assuming they ever stop throbbing and the blisters disappear what sort of training should I do between now and mid Sept?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...