UKC

Long Exposure Noise Reduction

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MSchobitz 26 Jan 2015
Hey,
I use a Canon EOS 500D and got fairly annoyed that if I took a long exposure photo (of say 5mins) then the camera would be busy for 10 minutes!! Turns out the other 5mins are the camera doing its own noise reduction.
Ive now turned it off, but am not sure if thats smart. Anyone done this? As far as Ive heard/read the same effect is achieved using post-processing methods like Canon's own DPP.
I noticed there was another setting, that deals with ISO noise reduction, but this doesn't alter the "busy" time, so I've left that one on.
Cheers for any info
Michael
 andi turner 26 Jan 2015
In reply to MSchobitz:

Depends what the purpose of your shot is, but for stuff like star trails, I will take dark frames At the end of the imaging session and then subtract these from the master frames in post processing.
 Dan Arkle 26 Jan 2015
In reply to MSchobitz:

The long exposure noise reduction works by a process called dark frame subtraction. This takes a dark photo to work out where the noise is, then removes it from the target image.

It is possible to take dark frames yourself and then use them at your convenience (ISO, exposure time and temp should affect noise).

However, I've found this to be far too much hassle for the benefits it gives.

I'll usually have the long exposure noise reduction off, and once I've done all the test shots I might consider switching it back on for the final shot.

OP MSchobitz 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Switching it back on for the final shot sounds like a pretty good idea, had not really thought about that.

I guess LENR has got its benefits, so Ill probably end up switching it on and off all the time depending on what Im doing...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...