UKC

Burbage Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimboWizbo 30 Jan 2015
We're planning a bouldering trip to Burbage south boulders tomorrow.

Has anybody been out there in the past 24 hours? Is bouldering going to happen?
 Jon Stewart 30 Jan 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

its very snowy.
 The Reaper 30 Jan 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

Just been for a walk out there. Deep snow and drifting in a bitter strong wind. It may have scoured some away to leave something climbable but think it will be very limited. Best for an opportunistic trip or a selected project rather than general bouldering I would say.
 Chris the Tall 30 Jan 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

Not been up that far, but based on my ride last night I'd guess there will be a least a foot of snow and some deep drifts. But it's a lovely day today, same forecast for tomorrow, so well worth getting out
 Offwidth 30 Jan 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:
There is plenty of bouldering that will be way more likely to be in condition. Why not use the weather conditions as an excuse to try something new. If you want easier grit, Matlock Bank would be a good bet. South facing sheltered, sunny and 1 minute from the parking in a town. All in the Froggatt guide.
Post edited at 11:23
OP JimboWizbo 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks for the suggestion

We're at the point where it would be a pain to rearrange with everyone (people travelling from far and wide). So if there will be some problems to play on we're happy. We would specifically like to try Trellis, but there's no knowing its condition until we get there.

So, unless burbage south is going to be completely out of condition, I think that's where we'll be
 cha1n 30 Jan 2015
In reply to The Reaper:

Are the roads OK to get to burbage without winter tyres?

I think going to Burbage South would be a very bad idea and you will regret it! I recon I'll be sledging tomorrow and I'd rather be climbing...
 Offwidth 30 Jan 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:
Another reason not to go there is we have strong N or NW winds forecast with temps barely above freezing so it will be bloody cold. If you do go please take stuff to keep boots dry and clean and stay off wet problems as bouldering on wet grit damages things much much faster than normal traffic, especially if the surface has gone, like many popular problems at that venue.

As for Trellis its a low start or you are cheating so singularly unsuited to snow/damp ground.
Post edited at 15:01
 Paul Hy 30 Jan 2015
In reply to cha1n:

the road's blocked from Stanage to Burbage (about 4ft drifts)!!
In reply to Paul Hy:

Probably a lot easier to get to Burbage South though - the road past the Fox House is a busy A road. A few years back the Stanage - Ringinglow road was blocked for a fortnight (and much fun was had on the bike!)
 The Reaper 31 Jan 2015
In reply to Paul Hy:

Burbage Bridge accessible from Ringinglow with care but everything up there is completely plastered. Thigh deep drifts made walking arduous too. Very pretty though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...