UKC

Running using measured heart rate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 01 Feb 2015
Hi folks,
been chatting to a mate who is the same age as me 46, which is probably irrelevant but he has started running differently by measuring his heart rate and keeping within his given "zone".

He said it was a ball ache trying to run slower, same as me, ex military and just ran and didn't care about any of that malarkey! Anyway, he seems to have turned a corner and quite enjoys it.

So, in a roundabaout way, is it worth trying it and perservering with? I'm just looking to get myself fitter and lose my post snapped achilles extra stone.

Is there one standard method to work it out from your max heart rate or different ways of doing it and what would anyone recommend?

Thanks in advance, Den
 dread-i 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

I've just started using a HR monitor again, not as a training aid directly, more as an addition to the gps watch it came with. One thing I noticed was that my HR, would peak at 204 on hill runs, which would make me about 16 (if the 220-age is used.) Previous HR monitors I've had all read in similar ranges. I'm reasonably fit, I've run a few fell races, marathons, an ultra and I'm training for more.

I tried setting the zones, with my max HR set at 204. I still need to stop and walk when in the lowest zone. Some of the others, fat burning for instance, are kinda soul destroying. Its more of a gentle trot, with a slow walk up any hill.

I think one thing it's good for is showing max effort. If you're slogging up hill, then you can see how much more you can push.

I spoke to the doc about my high HR. She said as everyone has different physiology, there is no set max HR that works for everyone. There are various different formula for calculating max HR, but they all have a percentage of error and come within a few beats of each other.

I'd be interested to hear first hand of any benefits for running within zones. I understand the theory, becoming more efficient at lower HR. But to have one eye on your watch, and to spend a lot of your run walking, seems to take the fun out of it.
XXXX 02 Feb 2015
In reply to dread-i:

It's a waste of time. You'll be getting fitter however you run and habing more fun doing it without stopping all the time.
 Roadrunner2 02 Feb 2015
In reply to dread-i:

A zone isn't a actual heart rate more a specific range relative to normal so actual heart rate won't matter.

Denni: Depends where you live, on the flat yeah it can make sense.

I'm not a fan of it but the heart rate is very reliable at indicating effort involved, but if you live in the hill it is meaningless unless you are willing to walk most hills. But over time you do run on heart rate. Some days I go out for a run and I know I just dont have it in me so will just run 8-9 minute miles for 3-4 miles. Whereas most miles are low 7's or sub 7 pace.

IainRUK(Banned)
 DancingOnRock 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:

Yes. I use it. It works.

It's better than trying to run to pace as it's giving you a measure of your effort.

So I know my flat cool day half marathon pace is 8:20/mi which corresponds to 170-180bpm. On a hot day or a hilly route I can run to this effort and know I'm going to be ok.

Long runs should be run at a certain intensity otherwise you don't get the benefit of building the mitochondria. Again using the HR to keep in that zone means you don't have to worry about the speed. Eventually you learn to feel what effort each HR corresponds to.

If the HR is too high and you have to walk to keep it down, it's just indicating you're very unfit. In which case just run as slow as you can to start with. The aerobic fitness will eventually develop and the HR will drop for a given pace.

You do have to do a max test though. Using calculated will be way out.
OP Denni 02 Feb 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Thanks for all the replies folks. I live on the coast inbetween Pompei and Southampton so flat.
Can someone give me an idiots guide to the best way to work it out?

Were you naughty roadrunner!
 Roadrunner2 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:
yeah, 4 complaints in 15 years.. they keep my articles yet ban me...

we live in a world where picking on disabled people is OK.. yet swear and you get banned yet they then want to keep your name associated with any articles as that's good publicity...
Post edited at 12:29
 Roadrunner2 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Denni:
http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/heart-rate-calculators/hrzone?minHR=60&maxHR=190&Submit=Calculate

There's a number on line..

This just add in your max, do a load of hill reps.. and your resting..

Its not an exact science though. HR is just a proxy measure, but fairly accurate, of whats going on in your body. I know runners who will get their lactic acid threshold checked at a track and get the specific heart rates which that correlates to.

But you will find various ranges on the web like the above, so its more important that you also work out yourself through experience what an easy run HR is.. what a race HR is... so firstly just collect data and get used to it.

IainRUK (Banned)
Post edited at 12:49
OP Denni 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Roadrunner2:

Thanks for that Iain, appreciate it. I'm not saying I'm going to use it, might not work for me but am going to try it at least as have entered my first proper road run, the Great South so need to get my backside in gear!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...