UKC

Deuter Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 roamer 05 Feb 2015
Hi, I am looking at new rucksack for winter climbing and day use, I am consider the Deuter Guide 35+ or the Warthog 38l, I want something smaller as currently using the Osprey Mutant 52l which has loads of straps and stuff and feels to big, any advice.
 jezb1 05 Feb 2015
In reply to roamer:

Black Diamond Speed is my bag of choice.
 girlymonkey 05 Feb 2015
In reply to roamer:

I use a Deuter guide and I like it. I guess it's a very personal thing, what suits one person doesn't always suit another, but works for me.
OP roamer 05 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1:

That's true, what I am after is something that is easy to use without loads of bits and straps but big enough to cope with winter gear, The Osprey is overkill and seems to sit really low so the load is on your shoulders not your hips.
OP roamer 05 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1:

Cheers, I will have a look, I am after something simple, big enough to cope with winter gear but not to big
 Jasonic 07 Feb 2015
In reply to roamer: Depends on fit- suggest you try them on.

spragglerocks 07 Feb 2015
In reply to Jasonic:

Cotswold have the BD Speed 40 for £89 at the moment...
 Tricadam 09 Feb 2015
In reply to roamer:

I've used the Guide 35+ for just about everything over the past 3 years, from summer scrambling to a 4 day winter hillwalking camping trip. (The back system - if it's the right shape for you - is very supportive and comfortable, even with a big load. Well worth bending the metal bits to suit your back shape.) Definitely roomy enough for winter climbing: the extra litres afforded by the floating hood come in handy when gear is stuffed back in in a spindrift fest at the top of a climb without much attention being paid to neat packing! And the zip access to the main body of the rucksack is very handy for getting out stuff that's ended up at the bottom. Useful pocket under the hood. Mine has been used a lot and shows virtually no sign of wear.

Also handy to have the ski attachments if you tour. These can be adapted to carry other things too. And for mountaineering days there's a gear loop on either side of the waist band - surprisingly useful!

The only down side of the durable construction and supportive back system is that it weighs more than a number of packs out there.

As others have said though, the key thing is to try on as many fully loaded bags as possible. Ropes make good ballast for this and ought to be in plentiful supply at any retailer!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...