UKC

NEW REVIEW: Alpkit Filoment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 09 Feb 2015
Alpkit Filoment Review - Montage , 4 kbAlex Lowe famously said “the best climber is the one having the most fun”. Over the years I have come to agree with this statement, but would – were I to have known Alex personally – have suggested one small and slightly less catchy amendment: “the warmest climber is the one having the most fun (probably because they're climbing the best)”.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7035
 nathan79 09 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Nice to see a review. I'd been wondering about giving the jacket or the vest a go. Saw the vest in the flesh yesterday but stopped short of bothering the women wearing it for a closer look at it.

Going from what I saw it's pretty similar in weight/size to the Patagonia nano stuff. I think I'll buy the Rab microlight vest rather than the Filoment vest. If I didn't already have a Patagonia nano puff jacket I might have gone for a Filoment, especially if both were full price.
 Will Hunt 09 Feb 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Yesterday was a baltic day in North Yorkshire. Intermittent mist, very very windy. Very hard to stay warm whilst on the boulders. I'm quite keen to get a new down jacket of some description, but need something that is easy to get on and off between attempts on problems and, more importantly, is very very warm!

It's a little unclear from the review whether Rob used this exclusively as his warm layer, with no other jacket, and whether he managed to get out in any particularly full on conditions. Rob, would a Filoment type jacket make an aqedquate substitute to the traditional enormous duvet jacket for bouldering on a very very cold and windy day?
Alpjay 09 Feb 2015
In reply to Will Hunt:

Hey Will - The Filoment is not supposed to be a replacement for a large baffle down jacket such as the Alpkit Filo. Think of it as more of a replacement for a fleece or mid-layer.

Jay
Alpkit
In reply to Will Hunt:

I tended to use the Filoment in conjunction with a larger duvet jacket.

The recent conditions we've had in the Peak/Yorkshire have been quite a solid test, being that it's been both cold and rather unpleasantly windy. I'm sure that the Filoment would do the trick as a lightweight alternative throughout cool Spring/Autumn evenings, but certainly not when it gets as cold as it's been lately.

Hope that's of help!

Rob
 mhawk 09 Feb 2015
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKC:

Nice review Rob and wise suggestion on doubling up when really cold with a large jacket for in between attempts and for coffee!

I find leggings under my trousers great in this weather too, ron hills particularly durable. Anyway, good review and all the best with the new job.

Mike
 Will Hunt 09 Feb 2015
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKC:

Cheers Rob
 Rockmonkey1977 12 Feb 2015
In reply to mhawk:

Completely agree on the leggings suggestion, I find keeping your legs warm makes a massive difference when its proper cold!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...