UKC

Chamonix Quick Fix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 12 Feb 2015
Got a late birthday gift - 3 days in Cham with the lad (15) to get back on the skiis (intermediate(ish) before, lad is a reasonable boarder). We go this Sunday

Read most of the relevant stuff on here, but apart from climbing there I don't know the skii terrain. So I want to ask:
1. Best domain (I'm guessing Le Tour & then Flegere)?
2. Best ski hire (Skimium got good reports)
3. Can I safely leave lift pass & hire until I get there?

Doesn't seem an ideal location if I'm honest, but I'd be churlish to not go (nice hotel, Chaumiere)!

Thanks for your help
 borderreiver 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Lucky you. Yes I'd agree Le Tour and Flegere. Queues can be bad in Flegere at peak times. Also consider Les Houches for some pleasant skiing but you'll need the full valley lift pass or buy a separate one when you get there. Ski hire is usually cheaper online. I've always got good deals from Intersport. I've usually got a pass on the day and never had to queue that long. Take last year's pass or you'll be charged a couple of euros non refundable for the new one. I think Chamonix is a great place to stay. Lots of variety for skiing but you have the pain of having to bus up and down. However it's a proper town rather than just a ski resort (well sort of) so there's always plenty of choice for where to drink, eat etc. Hope you get good conditions
OP Greenbanks 12 Feb 2015
In reply to borderreiver:

Cheers - that's really the insider stuff I was after
I guess queues at half term are part of the deal (
OP Greenbanks 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Update

Just got back; an excellent 3.5 days; clear skies throughout & surprised at the lack of crowds (sometimes we skied straight to a lift which was completely empty). Excellent snow (La Baume & Flegere/Brevent); skied most of the Reds and some black. Reds mainly straightforward & lovely, scenic cruising. Probably the most spectacular sking location I've been in. Nice to be reaquainted with the Bar National!
Downsides - yes, the transport (no runs open down to the valley, so lifts up & down needed); Lift Passes cost an arm & a leg...!
Definitely worth revisits
Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...