UKC

Question for the binding drillers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Carless 13 Feb 2015
Quick query
Is it possible to do the following without compromising strength: remove new bindings (thus breaking the epoxy bind - and breaking the initial thread?) and then refit to the same holes with new epoxy?

I would be asking a skishop to do this

Thanks
RockShock 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Carless:
Few months ago I asked my shop to put the Dynafit anti-twist plate on my TLT Speed Radicals (https://www.wildsnow.com/13852/anti-twist-dynafit-speed-radical/), this involved removing the heelpiece altogether and putting the antitwist plate below the heelpiece.

I am assuming that before that the screws were epox'ied so removing the heelpiece involved unscrewing them somehow (and reusing the holes for the antirotation plate) - so in my case it seems it was done and it's possible.

Not sure if this will be the case with alpine bindings...

Cheers
RS

PS: I did that on my heavy myserystixes (Dynastar Altitrail Vertical Light), so I am guessing it should be even easier for fatter skis...
Post edited at 15:41
 Dave 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Carless:
Yes. Just did it. Warm the screws with a soldering iron to melt the epoxy before unscrewing them. You are less likely to damage the screw hole that way. It takes a while to warm the screws, especially if the binding is metal and acts as a heat sink.
 3leggeddog 15 Feb 2015
In reply to Dave:

Melt the epoxy?

I have no knowledge of skis but there is something quite wrong there if I am not mistaken
 NottsRich 16 Feb 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Care to elaborate? Epoxy starts to soften at around 40-50 degrees usually.
 DaveHK 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Carless:
I've heard that wrapping the screw with wire wool helps give the new thread purchase.
Post edited at 09:48
 ed woods 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Carless:

Yeah, you'd be fine. Like someone else said, soldering iron on the screw to soften the glue. Done it many times. There isn't much to go wrong if you're confident with a screwdriver... I'd rather trust myself than some UK ski shops wildsnow.com is very good for clued-up DIY ski stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...