UKC

What's going on with this whipper?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimboWizbo 13 Feb 2015

Just browsing climbing falls (as you do), this seems interesting. A sizeable fall from a slab into the air, his leg doesn't catch on anything, but he gets a hell of a nasty catch. I'm wondering if falling down a slab gives you more of an "away from the rock" direction of travel, meaning you get a harsher change in direction when the rope goes tight.

The belayer has probably taken as much slack as possible to avoid a ground fall (understandable), but would a more dynamic catch have reduced the "whip" effect?

Perhaps it's related to the pitch of the climber after leaving the rock, while falling down the slab he kind of ends up leaning back a bit, which sets you up for back pain when the rope tightens.

youtube.com/watch?v=8gZ2z65mfeM&
Post edited at 17:18
 goose299 13 Feb 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

ouch
 Toccata 13 Feb 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

Not much give on the rope.
 Stone Idle 13 Feb 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

Looks like his toe caught at the base of the slab - quite a common affliction. He was lucky not to flip upside down. He must have lost skin!
 MNA123 13 Feb 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

Anyone know what crag and which route?
 JJL 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Adam Moroz:
Peak Technique I'd guess (from what's written top left of the video throughout) - Bowden
Post edited at 20:23
 Stig 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Adam Moroz:

Peak Technique at Back Bowden.
 johannes 14 Feb 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

From my experience, yes a dynamic catch makes this kind of fall a little bit less awkward and slightly reduces the risk of injury, but I think the difference wouldn't have been big.
However, looking at that, it may have been a good idea to wear a helmet. The climber had no control which part of the body slammed into the rock first and it could well have been the head, just a matter of chance.
 Stuart S 14 Feb 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

Reading what the belayer has written elsewhere on this, the gear was at 7 feet, the climber was at 20 feet, so he had to sprint backwards to try to prevent a groundfall (he had a runner at ground level to let him to this without pulling out the higher gear). Robbie had already fallen from this point on a previous attempt and was fine, but on this occasion, his feet seemed to catch, pinging him outwards and ripping the gear.
 MNA123 14 Feb 2015
In reply to JJL:

Point taken
 JJL 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Adam Moroz:

Hey, no worries. Just re-read my comment and it sounds far more arsey than I meant.
cb294 15 Feb 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

Looks like the belayer had to take in loads of slack quickly, making a soft catch very difficult to pull off.

Also, the video is a great advert for wearing a helmet . I can see why you wouldn´t necessarily wear one climbing at your endurance or power limit on a hard overhanging sport route (where there will be pro in the overhanging bit).

A slab above a steep bit, with the pro right at the transition will always tend to whack you back into the wall.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...