UKC

HM PB and thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mountainbagger 22 Feb 2015
So, ran a PB in Brighton Half today. First time under 90 mins. 1:29:35. Well chuffed!

I didn't wake up thinking I was capable this time but still went for it and to my surprise I somehow managed to hang on. Nearly heaved on the finish line so definitely gave it all I had!

Anyway I'd like to thank Iain R and Stig for their advice on this thread: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=605609&v=1#x7956264

I changed up my running by adding more mileage (went from 20-30 to 40-50 miles per week) and slowing down my long runs. With the added mileage I found I performed less well in interval and tempo sessions, but somehow on race day the stamina to hold 6:52 pace was there! So I guess it worked

Thanks again guys! And anyone else who gave me advice.
 Roadrunner2 22 Feb 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

well done, training works..

keep going now, running is about consistency, so keep up the training.
 Stig 23 Feb 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

Good to hear it paid off! Well done.

Coincidentally I ran my first HM yesterday and just dipped under 1:30. It was a trail race and really muddy, I stupidly ran it in lightweight road shoes so didnt feel very sure footed.

Looking back at that thread I see I have signally failed up follow my own advice. Since Xmas my weekly mileage topped out at 35m and averaged more like 25. Two weeks ago I did a hard interval session and a 13miler the next day. Then the following day a short easy run accompanied by foot pain. Last Wednesday I did an even harder speed session (pyramid) which left me tired for the race I think (and still with a sore foot).

Conclusion: build up the mileage slowly and don't think you're indestructible because you'll surely get injured! I've learnt a lot from racing new distances though (10m in Dec, then a half). I think you need the extra training distance much more so than with 10k; certainly my half time is some way off my predicted time based on 10k.

Roadrunner2 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Stig:

Yeah for a half you should have a number of 14-16 mile runs under your belt. 1:30-2:00 seems to be the period where most of your aerobic gains are made so even for marathons that's the key period to be out for once or twice a week, higher milers will be out 3-4 times a week for that period.
JMGLondon 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Stig:

Was that the Stockport Trail Half? Good fun wasn't it. Glad the weather held...just...
 Stig 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Roadrunner2:

Thanks Iain, really useful advice as always. I haven't run more than 13.2 since starting to run seriously again last summer, and building up to 14-16 is definitely something I need to work on next. I think the lack of longer runs really told in this race as much psychologically as anything else -- while I would normally knock out 4-5 tempo miles at 6:30 and below on the same route I just couldn't seem to get my pace down although did some 6:35-6;45 at the start and end most of the splits were high 6. Not quite sure how much was conservatism and how much physical.

Btw - how come you're still banned? Do you have to prostrate yourself or something??

Yeah - it was Stockport trail, nice race. Live 1min walk from the start so couldn't really refuse! Was nice to get home before the snow/sleet started!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...