UKC

Canon 6d right time to buy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CrushUnit 22 Feb 2015
Currently have to 70d, very pleased with it but really wanting to make the jump to full frame.

I would say 80% of my stuff is landscape the other 20 travel etc so really no need for a more advance autofocus system such as the 5d mk3.

I am aware the 6d is quite old now but it is also very cheap compared to what is was and is quite capable of taking a damn fine picture. I will be paring it with a 16-35 f4.

Before I make the jump, can the hive mind throw any curve balls my way that I may not have thought about or indeed alternatives? Always good to have alternative perspectives.

Cheers
G
 Jon Read 23 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:
> I am aware the 6d is quite old now but it is also very cheap compared to what is was and is quite capable of taking a damn fine picture. I will be paring it with a 16-35 f4.

<splutter!> Quite old???

I jumped from the 20d to the 6d, and was blown away by the low noise and focussing ability (center point) of the 6d. For me, I can't see the need for a 5d series body. Are Canon about to come out with a replacement model? If so, I would expect the price to fall further.... Otherwise, just do it, and enjoy it.
OP CrushUnit 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Jon Read:

Yeah I suppose old is a relative term I think a new 6d is on the horizon toward the end of the year but you never know.
 Durbs 23 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

I've been trying to justify the switch from a 7D (mk1) to 6d for a while, or possibly even a good quality 5D MkII (second hand).
There's a definite risk of falling for the hype of new equipment, but there are some incredible shots being taken on the 5dm2 despite it's age, so if you can find a good one, I think they remain a valid option if you want some weather-proofing which I think the 6D lacks.

One thing to be aware of - which you probably are already - is any EF-S (Or Sigma DC) lenses won't mount on to a full-frame body (or if they do mount, as I believe Sigmas do - risk being hit by the mirror when it flips up).

The only other possible issue was I think it was the 6D when Canon started getting fickle about 3rd party batteries - so some won't work, or certainly won't display health properties properly.

OP CrushUnit 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Durbs:

Yeah I have a sigma 17-50 which I will be selling with my 70d to fund some of the upgrade. Would love to splurge on a 5d mk3 but it would just be a waste of money for me given the subjects I shoot, plus the money saved would fund a nice set of Lee filters and other more useful bits and pieces.

The camera is never going to be the limiting factor in my photography
 IPPurewater 23 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

The body is for sale for £899 here
http://hdewcameras1-px.rtrk.co.uk/canon-6d-body-only-1167-p.asp

Have you found a better price ?
 ChrisJD 23 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

I think it would be a retro-grade step going from the 70D to the 6D - the focusing system, video and feel of the 70D is much better.

I went from full frame (1DsII) to the 70D and found FF not that much of a loss when compared to the increase in functionality of the 70D. I looked at the 6D and just didn't gel with it. I use the 70D with the 16-35 f2.8 and 24-105 lenses.

Might go back to FF at some point, but would have to be with the latest focusing and UI etc.
 peewee2008 23 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

Just bought a 6D, also have a 7D (would miss the 8fps), glad i made the jump love the FF with the 17-40mm etc great for landscape shots. It's the same sensor at the 5D mk3 but performs better at high iso and has better low light focusing on the centre spot. the focusing system is the big difference having less cross type points but shooting landscapes thats no going to be an issue. i find the gps and wifi quite good aswell, the dslr controller app is ok for remote shots etc and the gps is very good if you use lightroom as it logs exactly where you took the picture. It's smaller and lighter than the 7D/5D's, one point ive only just go used to it the button layout and operation.
 Hannes 23 Feb 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

> I think it would be a retro-grade step going from the 70D to the 6D - the focusing system, video and feel of the 70D is much better.

> I went from full frame (1DsII) to the 70D and found FF not that much of a loss when compared to the increase in functionality of the 70D. I looked at the 6D and just didn't gel with it. I use the 70D with the 16-35 f2.8 and 24-105 lenses.

> Might go back to FF at some point, but would have to be with the latest focusing and UI etc.

Do you not think the difference may be the nearly ten years of newer tech in the 70D compared to a 1DsII?

No doubt the AF and video of the 70D is far better but in the still image quality comparison it doesn't have much going for it, especially combined with the excellent lens op is planning to use
OP CrushUnit 23 Feb 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

I see what your saying but I just don't need to autofocus system of the 70d and never use the video, I am after an out and out landscape body and think the full frame would give me more benefit than the other functionality of the 70d.

In reply to IPPureWater, no not seen it at a better price than that, well except simply electronics but I just don't trust them.

Thanks for all the food for thought so far
 Jon Read 23 Feb 2015
In reply to IPPurewater:

Must be a grey import at that price?
 ChrisJD 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Hannes:

> No doubt the AF and video of the 70D is far better but in the still image quality comparison it doesn't have much going for it

That's nonsense, sorry (having looked at lots of 1DsII, 70D, 6D (mates camera), Sony A6000 (mine) & Fuju XE-1 (mine) RAW images). I'm using the 70D with L glass as well. The 1DsII images at 100-400 ISO still hold their own as well!

Nick Livesey uses a 7D - doubt he finds image quality lacking! (7D, 7DII aand 70D share a lot in common).

I just didn't take to the whole feel of the 6D and its autofocus. It felt cheaply made for the money and purposefully lacking in features to prevent cannibalism of 5D sales.

But, have been really impressed with the toughness of the 70D. Its been in the rain, in mud, in snow, covered in hydraulic oil (hose split on JCB I was supervising and I and it got soaked) and dropped kicked to save it falling down a trial pit. Don't worry I won't ever sell it on....

Crushunit:

Why not try and borrow a 6D (or hire one).

Skyfall 23 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

Aren't 5D iii prices likely to drop with the new high res versions coming out?

I also wasn't that impressed with the feel of the 6D but I'm sure the pics would be superb. At the end of the day, only you can work out what's right for you. That combines both technical issues and more subjective feel and value issues. I'd be a little wary of buying now if the 6D is due to be replaced soon, which it must be in the next year or so, at least unless you can get a v good deal on one (which you probably can).
 ChrisJD 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

> Aren't 5D iii prices likely to drop with the new high res versions coming out?

Perhaps not that much, as as these 50MP cameras are a divergent line of 5D cameras with lower Max ISO (6400) and less video capability, a 'standard' resolution new 5D version will be released at some point though.

In reply to ChrisJD:
I'm toying with an upgrade but tried the 6D and didn't like the feel of it. Very lightweight and fragile compared to the 7D. I think I might have to bite the bullet and go 5D III...
Post edited at 19:12
 ChrisJD 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:
> I'm toying with an upgrade but tried the 6D and didn't like the feel of it. Very lightweight and fragile compared to the 7D. I think I might have to bite the bullet and go 5D III...

Seems we felt the same about the 6D

You not fancying one of the 50Mp 5Ds without the AA filter (or however they phrase it)?
Post edited at 19:20
In reply to ChrisJD:

Nah, I really don't need a 50mp camera, or the huge files it generates...couldn't afford one if I did!
OP CrushUnit 23 Feb 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

Seems a lot of people not too impressed with feel of 6d....hmmm maybe I should just get a 5dmk3, I can find it for about £700 more. Would also be more versitile in other fields. Will give it some ponderance....

On a more decisive note, I bit the bullet and invested in some Lee filters today.
In reply to CrushUnit:

> On a more decisive note, I bit the bullet and invested in some Lee filters today.

Now that's a purchase you won't regret!

Removed User 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

> Aren't 5D iii prices likely to drop with the new high res versions coming out?

As ChrisJD says, probably not much if at all. The rumour watchers have been waiting for ages to see what would replace the ageing 5D3 and it's been replaced by...nothing. The 5D3 is such an all round workhorse it will still probably be the camera of choice for many pro photographers who don't want/need 50mp and associated monster files or want to spend £5k+ on a 1D series. I hope it doesn't drop in price too much, i bought one recently!

> I also wasn't that impressed with the feel of the 6D but I'm sure the pics would be superb. At the end of the day, only you can work out what's right for you. That combines both technical issues and more subjective feel and value issues. I'd be a little wary of buying now if the 6D is due to be replaced soon, which it must be in the next year or so, at least unless you can get a v good deal on one (which you probably can).

I reckon for travel and landscape the 6D will be an awesome camera. It felt a bit wee for my hands but that was after playing with a 5d3 and a D810 and i like big cameras. I suspect a 6D2 will come out soon with better AF and twin card slots but if neither of those things are deal breakers then the 6D is probably just the ticket.
 Dan Arkle 23 Feb 2015

>very lightweight and fragile compared to the 7D....

I've never really understood this build quality argument unless you are out all day, every day in bad weather. I've given my cheap canons some serious abuse with no problems, and if I had a camera that cost 5x more with better 'build quality' and weatherproofing then I'd use it a lot less in marginal conditions, as I couldn't afford the loss. I'm after the best possible sensor in the lightest and most affordable package (which probably isn't canon at the moment!)

Skyfall 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> I hope it doesn't drop in price too much, i bought one recently!

Had my 5d iii about a year. I started off just wanting to go ff but didn't think the 6D would quite do it for me. Still discovering things on it. The auto servo focus is pretty awesome. Plus, as I trashed my 60D in a small accident with mud and water in the hills, I was keen to get the more robust 5d. I've found that I do a lot of informal portrait photography now, including children, and the 5d is just fantastic. Overall though, ff just allows so much more creativity eg shallow depth of focus, if that's your thing. it is heavy mind, but so are L lenses...

In reply to Dan Arkle:

The tank-like construction and weather sealing were what swayed me to get a 7D as my first DSLR almost three years ago and the same things are important to me now I am considering an upgrade.

Having had a play with a 6D I just can't imagine it would take the punishment I give my 7D, and as I am hardly rich I need a camera I can rely on, day after day in the mountains.

If I was your average landscape 'tog' (dreadful word) I'd imagine the 6D would be a fantastic choice but I think I would smash one up in no time!
 john1963 23 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

http://hdewcameras1-px.rtrk.co.uk/canon-6d-body-only-1167-p.asp
I bought my Nikon and tokina lens from this company and had great service ,just a thought.
 Hannes 24 Feb 2015

Slightly off topic but why not just get a 1DSIII then? You'll have a hard time finding a more robust camera than that. Sure, it is heavy and clunky but they better the 7D in pretty much every aspect for what you do
 chrisprescott 24 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

I've been using the 6D for the past couple of years and would definitely recommend it. I went for it over the 5D Mk3 due to it being lighter weight and with similar specs apart from the number of focus points. I've used it and abused it and it's spent many weeks on shoots in summer and winter and has held up well apart from a few war wounds. Image quality is great, especially when combined with a decent lens (I mostly use the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8). Pretty much everything on my site was taken with it - http://www.chris-prescott.com/photo/
OP CrushUnit 24 Feb 2015
In reply to chrisprescott:

Thanks Chris, those images are exceptional.

Never felt limited by the autofocus system?
 Jon Read 25 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:
If you mostly focus using the central point (which I do), it's just not an issue. And that central point can focus on almost nothing!

Like Chris, I've not experienced any failing of the 6d in winter mountain environments or windy beaches. Other than chucking it in a river, it's at least as robust as my 20d, and I dropped that all over the place.

Lightweight, full frame, central focussing ability, and very low noise were the selling points for me.
 chrisprescott 25 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

To be honest I find more focus points can get a bit distracting and seem unnecessary, i've never wanted more than the 11 on the 6D. For action shots I generally achieve focus using the central point and then compose the shot. For more set up images I usually switch to manual anyway.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 25 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

I agree with Chris, 6d is an excellent choice. I used mine extensively for writing the Dolomites guidebook and it took a lot of abuse. For landscapes and climbing shots the auto focus was fine.

I've obviously now jumped ship to Nikon but only on the back of the 14-24 rather than the body.

It's always hard trying to decide when to buy. I suspect a 6d II will arrive sometime next year. However you could wait forever if you're always worried about a newer model (and they will all be out of date in 3 years anyway). I'm currently facing the same dilemma with upgrading to the D810, it's either do it now or wait 18 months.

Remember the lenses will still be going strong after 10 years though. But looking at your post it seems you've got that covered.
 IM 25 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

Another vote for the 6D from me. You can always get a custom made 'skin' for it to provide exra protection, makes it a bit harder to use the controls tho. Autofocus has never been a problem for me either and the ability of the 6D to focus in very low light is amazing.

I couldn't agree more. Another poster said they didn't get the durability remarks but having a tough as old boots camera like the 7d and some solid L glass means when conditions get grim or the terrain is challenging you don't hide your camera away in a bag.
OP CrushUnit 26 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:
Thanks every one so much for taking the time to reply....some food for thought.
 rallymania 26 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:
just reading through this thread as am interested in upgrading my 600D with the 70D later this year. haven't really got anything to add about the 6D debate but was struck by something another user posted

> The rumour watchers have been waiting for ages to see what would replace the ageing 5D3 and it's been replaced by...nothing.

the 5D3 was released less than 2 years ago but it's "ageing"? and yet camera gear continually fetches surprisingly (to me anyway) 2nd hand prices. let me qualify that... a 2year old £1000 PC / laptop is likely to sell for for between half and a third of it's retail price and yet a similarly priced DSL will often sell for about 80% of new. the kit lasts longer i get that, but to then say something that is 2 years old is ageing seems strange (and to the poster who posted the above, please don't think i'm picking on you, i see lots of people using the same language just using your post as an example)
Post edited at 11:09
OP CrushUnit 26 Feb 2015
In reply to rallymania:

I can highly recommend the 70d, autofocus is great, feels rugged (I don't treat my gear well) a good step up from the 600d (I came from a 500d and was very impressed with the difference).
 chrisprescott 26 Feb 2015
In reply to rallymania:

Camera tech changes all the time and the 5D MkIII is behind in terms of specs when compared to other brands, that's what is meant by it being out of date. It doesn't mean it isn't still a great camera that will take great images for many years.
 rallymania 26 Feb 2015
In reply to chrisprescott:

oh i agree, but aging to me suggests almost at the end of what's useable
Removed User 26 Feb 2015
In reply to rallymania:
Hi Rally it was me you quoted, no worries. Yes, Chris Prescott is bang on the money. The 5D3 was released c.3 years ago. In that time Nikon has introduced 5 new FX DLRS including the D810 which has had a lot of people selling their Canon kit and switching. When the opposition leap-frogs you so spectacularly as Nikon have your flagship does suddenly become dated. You are right that it does not mean that it is obsolete though. Horses for courses and all that, and there are a raft of pros who swear by the Canon 5 series.

It's also true that you don't necessarily need a pro brick to take fantastic pictures.
Post edited at 19:07
 shaun walby 26 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

Iam with Dan best sensor possible in the lightest package possible, until then I'll shoot two cams, lightest for Alps/mountains. Iam still using the Canon 5D2 but have been tinkering with the fuji X-E1
( body weights 359grams), whilst waiting for the new Canon.
Jury is still out on the new 50meg Canon...for me its a shame they have gone 50 meg, I don't want my PC running that slowly and I don't do a lot of large format prints to warrant the medium format resolution, I'd have been much more interested in better dynamic range and signal/noise ratio, but like I say the jury is still out.

shaun walby 27 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

might also have added re new Canon...i have heard fron a pro using the 5DSr couple of days ago, no access to RAW converters yet so nobody (other than canon) know about sharpness dynamic range signal/noise etc etc, but Canon have said they have not targeted dynamic range with this sensor.
OP CrushUnit 27 Feb 2015
In reply to shaun walby:

I think they felt obliged to offer something to match the resolution of the d810 but were not ready to release the MK4.

It seems a 50mp sensor which has not addressed Canons slight lag in dynamic range is a bit of a missed opportunity.

I think when we do see the mk4 it will be in the region of high 20's in regard to Megapixels as they will not want to cover the same ground as the 5 DS
 shaun walby 27 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

Agreed...i think the 5DS will be seen in the next 5 yrs as one of the companys biggest knee jerk reactions to date,such was the impact of the Nikon 810.

It will be very interesting to watch the sales of the camera...have people really had enough of the pixel war above all else or has the likes of the Fuji-X sensor really ushered in a new era?
 mbewsher 28 Feb 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

Using the 6D (pruchased after lenghty research) for the last 14 months and love it. Massive quality improvement on my previous 450D and not too bulky. I use with 24-105mm Canon lens making an excellent combination. Combo fits nicely in the LowePro 148 bag with the camera strap round your neck/shoulder rather than a bag strap - important for security!

I am also not taken in by the relentless 'upgrades' in the fight against competitors. The 6D will only be obsolete if you replace it!

Get the 6D
OP CrushUnit 01 Mar 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

Oh damn it......just bit the bullet and bought the 5d Mk iii, figured it would give me more options should my subject matter change in the future and at £1600 seemed like a good deal.
Removed User 01 Mar 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

Was that new??? I am expecting the price to come down a bit but not that much. I paid 1700 for a 2ndhand one (albeit with <1000 shutter clicks). Hope you get on with it, I am enjoying getting to know mine.
OP CrushUnit 01 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Yeah new and in the box, its from ebay shop which is UK based but get them in from HK but they offer a 3 year warranty on it and have 100% positive feedback so I am happy at that price.
Removed User 01 Mar 2015
In reply to CrushUnit:

Wow! That's an awesome deal.
In reply to CrushUnit:

That's a good deal...link please?
OP CrushUnit 02 Mar 2015

It won't let me post the ebay link here as it thinks I am trying to sell something...the shop on ebay is called tronixltd and the item description is "Canon EOS 5D MARK III Camera - 3 Years Worldwide Warranty, Multiple Languages" cost £1609.99. Hopefully you can find it from that.

Its making me feel a bit better about buying my 16-35 from Wex only for them to drop the price on it by £100 the very next day!!!
 chris fox 05 Mar 2015

Nick, I'll flog you my 6D if you want !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...