UKC

Cutting time quickly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shaunmillar 11 Mar 2015
Hi all,

I have a timed mile and a half run coming up in a couple of months and need to get from 11:15 to as close to nine as possible. I'm 21 and willing to commit as much time as it takes to training. Do you think it can be done? Any training recommendations?

Cheers!
interdit 11 Mar 2015
In reply to shaunmillar:

Can you currently run at 10mph?
How long for?
 edunn 11 Mar 2015
In reply to shaunmillar:

This shouldn't be too difficult for someone your age (17?) and who doesn't seem too overweight (your profile pic).

I would suggest you just need to get used to running a bit more and then combine this with high intensity speed sessions. I would suggest trying to run a 3 miler once a week at a reasonable pace (7 min miles), then two varied speed/technique sessions.

A speed session would involve something like 'mile repeats'. Which basically means running a mile at your required pace (6 mins), resting for a few minutes (4 minutes) and then repeating it (maybe three times). You are basically 'dialing in' this pace into your muscle memory so that your body knows how it feels, and can handle it when you're tired (3rd repeat).

A high-intensity hill session and/or technique session. So. . . either run up and down a steep hill as fast as you can, or practice running with high knees, or an extended stride. Don't forget to use your arms.

Every now and then you should drop one of these sessions in preparation for a test run (i.e. 1.5 miles at 'race pace'). You drop one of the sessions so as to give yourself a good chance to rest (a bit) and start your practice run in good condition.

Your 3 mile 'long' run should be quite slow, just getting your body used to running. The mile repeat session is the important one.

Equally important is not to get injured. If you haven't run much before then take it easy to begin with. Don't do all of the above in the first week (you will be sore and demotivated the next week), maybe just start with a gentle 2 mile jog at the weekend and 2x mile repeats, then build up to the big day.

If you're not seeing improvements in your mile times in a month, then re-think.

You should be fine.

Best of luck.
OP shaunmillar 11 Mar 2015
In reply to interdit:

I don't think I could run at ten mph for that long at all, any tips?

In reply to edunn: My profile really needs updating, I'm 21 sitting at about 12 stone so not overweight at all... I hope
 edunn 11 Mar 2015
In reply to shaunmillar:

17 . . . 21, you're young!

Depends how tall you are. I'm 5ft 10 and weigh the same. I'd consider myself 1/2 stone above optimal. if you're taller you're ok. If not, you'll loose it training. . . which will make you faster (cashback!).
In reply to edunn:

Thanks for the advice! Will get on it!
 The New NickB 11 Mar 2015
In reply to shaunmillar:

Have you trained at all so far? You are running 7:30 per mile currently and your target is 6:00, that is quite a big jump, but not impossible.

1.5 miles isn't that far, so you don't need to do huge mileage, I would mix intervals of 400 or 800 with 5 and 10k runs. Say 8 x 400 or 4 x 800 with 1 minute recovery, alternating with days of running 5 or 10k briskly, but not super fast, throw in the odd recovery day. Do a time trial once a week rested to see your progress.

I went from 23 minute 5k to low 19 minute 5k in about 6 months with regular training, at which point I could probably have done 1.5 miles in 8:45. I was 35, your younger, you may progress quicker, but I lost 7 or 8 KG, which made a big difference. You may not be a natural runner and may never get there.
 SambucaHughes 11 Mar 2015
In reply to shaunmillar:

I don't have any tips sorry but just out of curiosity, training for the forces ?
 mountainbagger 11 Mar 2015
In reply to SambucaHughes:

That's what I thought but I don't think you need to be that fast do you? One of my mates recently tried for the marines and I'm pretty sure he didn't need to be 6 min mile pace.
 SambucaHughes 11 Mar 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

Not sure, for some reason I was under the impression that for the Para's you had to do mile and half in 9.5 minutes or less , I may be wrong though !
 DancingOnRock 12 Mar 2015
In reply to SambucaHughes:

Paras is 9.5.

I would echo some of the advice. I would add some very slow easy running, maybe 3-4miles and everyday if you can. Then every other day do your intervals. 800m are going to be pretty good and don't try to run them at 6:00/mi, you need to be running them just a bit faster than your 5k pace. You're not trying to break yourself, you're trying to improve your aerobic and lactate thresholds.
 Roadrunner2 12 Mar 2015
In reply to shaunmillar:

Like others said, first add volume...

Run 30 minutes every other day for 1-2 weeks.
Then run 4-5 times a week for 1-2 weeks.
Start lengthening one run to 45-60 mins and adding some strides at the end of runs, 10 by 20 seconds quickish, 40s steady..
Then start adding in some more structured reps, once you have an idea of you easy pace you can start to get a better idea of what rep paces you could tolerate.
 zimpara 13 Mar 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

Paras is 9:16 though commonly 9:30 will do.
Hint is in the name btw^

Unfortunately some people just can't suffer for long periods, which is required!
The speed gains you're asking for is huge-IF

Your 11min runtime is the hardest you can go. I mean you should be dying.
Here's an oversight on my fitness gains.
Never run anything worse than an 8:30 mile and half.
I joined with a 8:16 selection run time.
I ran a 7:54 just before Pcoy.

I would be more concerned that you can't hold our 10miler pace for 1.5 miles. You're going to be in a lot of pain.

Take HMB to lose any weight you can very fast (careful the nightmares though!)
Stayed hydrated and carbed up.
Stop eating salt.
Run run run
Stretch stretch stretch.
That is it. So yes, get running. That is all that is required. And alot of press ups. And situps. And more running. And don't even look at a bergen as a civi in trainers. (I did. And shin splints+stress fractures will wreck you)!
 mountainbagger 13 Mar 2015
In reply to zimpara:

> Paras is 9:16 though commonly 9:30 will do.
Thanks for the clarification. We don't actually know if the OP is wanting to join the military, but it seems likely, given the interest in the mile and a half time.

> I ran a 7:54 just before Pcoy.
That's very good for 1.5 miles! 5:16 min/mile pace.

> I would be more concerned that you can't hold our 10miler pace for 1.5 miles. You're going to be in a lot of pain.
I think his 11:15 pace mentioned in the OP is for 1.5 miles, so that would be 7:30 min/mile pace. What's the 10 miler pace for the paras?

Alex1 20 Mar 2015
In reply to shaunmillar:

9 is reasonably rapid for this distance and you are a long way off if you're only at 11:15. This training plan will give you an idea of what you need to do:

http://www.runbritain.com/training/runfaster/six-week-schedule-to-run-5k-in...
 The New NickB 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Alex1:

Sub 18 5k is a lot harder than sub 9 1.5 miles. A sub 18 5k runner can probably run 1.5 miles in sub 8.
 DancingOnRock 20 Mar 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

It should be easy for a 21 year old to run a mile and a half in 9 mins.

I run it in 10 and I'm 45 years old!
 Roadrunner2 20 Mar 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> It should be easy for a 21 year old to run a mile and a half in 9 mins.

> I run it in 10 and I'm 45 years old!

It depends. Sadly it isn't. I coach students at that age, we have very few who could do that, just our two best runners on our XC team, and possibly one one.
 The New NickB 20 Mar 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> I run it in 10 and I'm 45 years old!

I'm 40 and could run it in 8, but I've worked very hard to get to that level and not everyone is a natural runner. I would also say 40 seconds a mile is quite a lot.

I see quite a few lads turn up at the club trying to pass this test, for a lot it's not easy, some will never do it.
 DancingOnRock 20 Mar 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

And RoadRunner.

I'm going to try it after Paris and see what I can do.

That's really surprised me. I'm a mid pack runner at our club and think I can go quite a bit faster if I focus a bit more. What's going on in schools that our youngsters can't manage this?

There's a 12yo kid that beats me at ParkRun every week.
OP shaunmillar 20 Mar 2015
In reply to shaunmillar:

Hi all,

Thanks for all the great advice I'm definitely taking notes.
I'm not actually joining the forces, I'm doing this as part of a challenge.

A quick update, I think I may have picked up a stress fracture, have a constant pain at a point on the inside of my tibia that isn't consistent with shin splints so have to get that checked.

For the people saying it should be easy, I wouldn't be trying to do this if it was, I'm a reasonably fit person but definitely not a natural runner hence the difficulty.

Cheers,
 mountainbagger 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Shaunmillar:

> A quick update, I think I may have picked up a stress fracture, have a constant pain at a point on the inside of my tibia that isn't consistent with shin splints so have to get that checked.

> For the people saying it should be easy, I wouldn't be trying to do this if it was, I'm a reasonably fit person but definitely not a natural runner hence the difficulty.

I feel your pain. Many years ago I was "reasonably fit" but hadn't run much since I was at school. I started running and found it quite easy due to my gym + swim based fitness, so I did too much too soon and picked up a stress fracture. I stupidly ignored the pain at first and it took a few months to resolve (I developed a knee injury off the back of it).

Funny enough there is some tenderness in the same place as I write this due to a heavy week but I can tell it's not the same issue...I think!

Good luck
 nightclimber 21 Mar 2015
In reply to shaunmillar:

You could try going out for a couple of training runs with someone you know runs a faster pace than you. Sometimes I've found this can help develop a step-up in pace - it's more like race motivation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...