UKC

RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cfer 12 Mar 2015
Very sadden to hear the news that Sir Terry Pratchett has died today

A loss to the literary world
 flopsicle 12 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

Very sad.
 toad 12 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

the final embuggerance. I'll miss him.
 the sheep 12 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

Buggrit, a sad loss
 Dr.S at work 12 Mar 2015
In reply to the sheep:

did he cut his own throat?
In reply to cfer: A great shame. A wonderful communicator about an alternative but all too familiar world and about the problems caused by his Alzheimer's. I'm going to have to read the books again...

T.
 Timmd 12 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

He seemed like a kind guy I always though, I hope he went peacefully.

Rest In Peace.
 robal 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

too soon perhaps???

And apparently he didn't!

RIP

Diggers and Truckers were the books I got for achievement and science award at school!
 Trangia 12 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

Very sad.

It's an awful disease that robs people of their personality before killing them. It's got to be beaten.
 Dr.S at work 12 Mar 2015
In reply to robal:

I rather liked CMOT, but perhaps.
 deepstar 12 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

Ook!
 Dave Garnett 12 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

"AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER" is a hell of way to sign off. Brilliant, and (I know this a cliche) brave.
 Kimono 12 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

'his' final tweet brought a tear to my eye:

"AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER," it stated.

"Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night."

"The End".

Is it sad that he has died? Well, no, i suspect its a bloody great relief for him!
Is it sad that he suffered this horrid disease? Very much
andymac 12 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

I must be honest;

I thought it was Wogan.

My little heart sank.

In reply to Trangia:

Big thumbs up to this.

My father has very advanced alzheimers and it's awful. The person I feel most sorry for though is my mum who has to live and care for him at home.

Truly horrible.

RIP Terry.
> Very sad.

> It's an awful disease that robs people of their personality before killing them. It's got to be beaten.

Dax H 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Kimono:

> Is it sad that he has died? Well, no, i suspect its a bloody great relief for him!

> Is it sad that he suffered this horrid disease? Very much

I have been thinking exactly the same thing. For such a brilliant mind to be aware of his own decline must have been terrible. We will probably never know but I suspect he took steps to finish things.
In reply to cfer:

<quote>
And some were dead. Others were... well, if they weren't dead, if they'd just gone somewhere in their heads, it was sure as hell there was nothing for them to come back to. The chair had broken them again and again. They were beyond the help of any man.
Just in case, and without feeling any guilt, Vimes removed his knife, and ... gave what help he could. There was not a twitch, not a sigh.
</quote>
"Night Watch", 2002.

<quote>
THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US. THERE IS NO MERCY BUT US. THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US.
ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION.
AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END SOME DAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS.
LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
</quote>
"Reaper Man", 1991

I hope, wherever he's gone, that it is to his liking.
 robal 13 Mar 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I didn't make the link, turns out I'm getting slow in my old age......
Removed User 13 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

Very sad. I never 'got' fantasy as a genre but in my late 20s I spent three months mostly on my back recovering from what I thought was going to be a life changing back injury and a friend lent me all the discworld novels, and I loved them, they cheered me up no end during what was a pretty pessimistic time.

RIP.
 AlanLittle 13 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

"There were no lies here. All fancies fled away. That's what happened in deserts. It was just you, and what you believed.
What have I always believed?
That on the whole, and by and large, if a man lived properly, and not according to any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, in the end, more or less turn out alright"
 JJL 13 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

Mixed emotions.

Sad that we lost a talent - but he was "kept" here longer than he wanted.
 buzby 13 Mar 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Reaper man and Mort were my two favourites of his. think I will give them a re read.
 MaxR 13 Mar 2015
"in a distant forest a wolf howled, felt embarrassed when no one joined in, and stopped."
 ThunderCat 14 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

Ahhhh, that's really sad news. Not been anywhere near the internet or TV since early hours of Thursday so I just found out.

Picked up Guards! Guards! by accident when I was still at school and never stopped going through his catalogue.

Gave me many laughs over the years

"Ook"
 MikeR 15 Mar 2015
In reply to cfer:

Just heard this as I have limited access to the outside world at the moment. He once was the guest speaker at speech day at my school. The only speaker in all the speech days I remember that was loved by both the kids and the adults.

http://www.xkcd.com/1498/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...