UKC

Arabic vs Roman grades

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
paskal.nerad 16 Mar 2015
Hi,

I'm heading to Spain for climbing trip. We are looking in the guidebook "Lleida Climbs" and sometimes they put grade in Arabic and Sometimes in Roman numbers.

Does it mean that Roman numbers refer to pitches which require gear placement and arabic are protected ( bolts - sport type pitch) ?

Thanks for any help..

drolex 16 Mar 2015
In reply to paskal.nerad:

Arabic is usual sports (bolts all the way).
Roman is aided. Don't know Lleida in particular but that sometimes includes trad rather than "real aided" (rarely though)
Removed User 16 Mar 2015

If I remember correctly, Roman numbers are used for easier routes and Arabic for harder ones (6a and up). I visited Camarasa & Santa Ana and all routes were bolted.
 krikoman 16 Mar 2015

It's on their website Note (1): In this region routes below 6a can be graded either using Roman numerals i.e. 'V', or the standard French system of numbers and letters i.e. '5b', depending on the zone (and preferences of the local activists). The equivalents are: IV+ = 5a; V = 5b; V+ = 5c.
Note (2): All the zones and sectors featured in this article are covered in more detail in the
 drolex 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed UserZebdi:

Ah yes probably a better explanation, in some guides 5 is always V. If there is absolutely no mention of "VI" it could be that. I guess someone knowing this particular might be more helpful.

Are there combinations of both? Once again I don't know Lleida but in the Pyrenees, climbing guides often still show that crag climbing is an historical subgenre of mountaineering and the grades would be given according to the original style, say III/6a (made up), III now usually replaced with A3 but I am pretty sure I have some guides (10 year-ish old) that still use roman for aided. I have to check now, as I am getting confused.
paskal.nerad 17 Mar 2015

Thank you guys, you were very helpful!

Greetings

Paskal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...