UKC

RAW Editing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 16 Mar 2015
Can anyone recommend a good, preferably free, RAW editing program. Thanks.
 rallymania 16 Mar 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

at risk of sounding obvious... the software that came with your camera?

you should be able to download it if you don't have the CD's
OP FesteringSore 16 Mar 2015
In reply to rallymania:

I can't find RAW editing on what I've downloaded

What's the make of your camera?
 rallymania 16 Mar 2015

what's the camera?
 ChrisJD 16 Mar 2015

Stop being a tightwad and just get Lightroom.
In reply to ChrisJD:

> Stop being a tightwad and just get Lightroom.

Have you seen the cost of Lightroom. MY budget doesn't stretch that far even if yours does.
 d_b 16 Mar 2015

dcraw can convert raw images from most cameras into something you can edit. It's command line stuff though.

There's a windows version linked from the main page here:

https://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

I have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription with Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC for the very reasonable sum of £7.14/month.
 The Lemming 16 Mar 2015

You could always download an old version of Photoshop. Don't let its age put you off as it is still very powerful and complex to use. In fact I still use it.

Many years ago Photoshop released the Licence Key by mistake and then turned a blind eye to the world using it.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html
 ChrisJD 16 Mar 2015

Yes, it's £56 for the best all round RAW editor and image management system you can buy at any price. It's a complete bargain.. And in the world of photography & cameras etc, its small beer.
 ChrisJD 16 Mar 2015

or about (depending on where you live) 15 pints of beer, or less than filling up your car with fuel.

The RAW convertor should work with Windows 8.1 (if you really can't stretch to Lightroom). I'd thoroughly recommend Lightroom though!

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/myfinepix_studio/r...
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> The RAW convertor should work with Windows 8.1 (if you really can't stretch to Lightroom). I'd thoroughly recommend Lightroom though!

That's the one! Thanks
 Fraser 16 Mar 2015

I'd splash the cash on LR if I were you, it's definitely worth it. I asked the same question on here a while back and everyone recommended it. It's such good value for an exceptionally decent programme. Pretty much everything it does it does, it does better than anything else.
 ChrisJD 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Fraser:

LR6 is coming out soon.

Apparently PCs have to be 64 bit and Apples on latest updates. Else you have to use LR5.

Might go across to monthly subscription and get PS as well.

Its said to have HDR, Panoramic & face recognition. The first two are very welcomed. Not sure about third, but sure will get used to it.
 robhorton 17 Mar 2015

I use Darktable which seems to work pretty well for me. I've not used LR so it's possible I'm missing out.
In reply to The Lemming:
Hi there - I took your advice and successfully downloaded CS2 and it works OK except for RAW files. I also have PS Elements 7 and it is linked to CRaw 5.6 which works fine with Nikon Transfer into Elements. The 'About' CRaw in CS2 seems to suggest it is version 3 which is way old. How do I get my new CS2 to launch this later plug in version and open RAW files?
Any help would be useful please.
Post edited at 15:24
moffatross 17 Mar 2015

After trialling it, I bought PhotoNinja and although it's more expensive than LightRoom, it is better at RAW processing which is all I was interested in. It doesn't do photo management though if that's your thing too.
 The Lemming 17 Mar 2015
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Sorry, I can't help you with the RAW problem. Probably why Adobe is fine with this version of Photoshop being out in the wild.

All I can say is that for the once in a blue moon time, my CS2 does RAW for my Nikon camera.

If you want a free and legit app, you could try GIMP.
 Fraser 17 Mar 2015

You'll need to go to the Adobe download site and get the relevant plug in for your camera's RAW file output. I had to do similar recently at work. I think it might be ACR 7.1 or newer But you'd better check which one you require. They have all the various versions available for download.
In reply to Fraser & The Lemming:
Thanks for this - I have the answer but it is not good. The latest version of Camera Raw I can use with CS2 is Version 3 which doesn't support my camera. My Elements 7 is apparently newer than CS2 so it uses version 5.6 that does support my camera. So my solution is to open RAW files in Elements then save and re-open in CS2. The reason I wanted CS2 is because it supports channels which allow me to do Duo & Tri-toning which is not possible in Elements.
So thanks again.
 JDal 17 Mar 2015

It's a bit tortuous, but you can convert the RAW to Adobe's digital negative format DNG using their free converter http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform...

Then you can use CS2.
 Fraser 17 Mar 2015
In reply to JDal:

Err, it's coming back to me now. That's actually what I ended up doing in the office in order to be able to do RAW editing in CS5.5, d'oh! I must say thought that ACR's interface isn't a patch on Lightroom's. Okay, it's only part of what's being offered in CS but as a stand alone application, I do think that LR is way better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...