UKC

Any Adobe Premier Elements experts in the room?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 16 Mar 2015
Could somebody please tell me how I change the settings from editing mode of HD 1080i at 30 frames a second to 24 frames a second because I don't have scooby how to do this?

Cheers muchly
 Dark-Cloud 16 Mar 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Right click the clip, modify, interpret footage, select desired frame rate ?
OP The Lemming 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I think that I've solved it. The instructions say that all these choices must be made at the beginning of each project. However I keep bumbling around and don't always remember how I did what I wanted to achieve.

Cheers
 richprideaux 16 Mar 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Is this still for timelapse stuff or are you doing video too now?
OP The Lemming 17 Mar 2015
In reply to richprideaux:

Yep mostly timelapse so far.

However, when I actually do video stuff, does it make a difference with 30 frames or 24 frames a second for my masterpieces for my TV or computer?
 rallymania 19 Mar 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

> However, when I actually do video stuff, does it make a difference with 30 frames or 24 frames a second for my masterpieces for my TV or computer?

yes and no.
if it's for youtube it's mostly irrelevant for time lapse, but it will make a difference for video in certain circumstances

30fps is NTSC, 25fps is PAL and 24fps for that "cinema look"

the main difference between the first two is if you are videoing anything with mains lights / TV's etc in the shot, if you don't match the footage to the location you are shooting in the lights / screens can flicker

so if you shoot indoors at 30fps in the UK you may well find the lights flicker.

24fps is the traditional movie frame rate and gives your movies a different look.

for time lapse i'd be inclind to suggest 25 or 24fps would suit you well enough.

(the above is just my observations, YMMV... i'm not setting myself up as some kind of expert or anything)
OP The Lemming 22 Mar 2015
In reply to rallymania:

> 24fps is the traditional movie frame rate and gives your movies a different look.

And this is where my little brain gets confused. At school I was taught that to capture the illusion of movement, stuff was shot at 24 frames a second. I get that. I'm guessing that 25 frames a second is more to do with adding or rounding round numbers, multiples of 25, for calculating images required for specific periods of time rather than the mental gymnastics of 24 per second?

With my timelapse, there is a huge varient of 30 frames per second compared to 24/25 per second for the overall speed and duration of the image.

When it comes to rendering, is all this academic for the computer screen, youtube or DVD player?

Or to keep it simple, keep it stupid, should I get into the habbit of 1080i 25 frames a second?

simondgee 22 Mar 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Boring answer (and this is the short version!)...the shorter answer is 25FPS is a result of TV broadcast standard built around the older technology of Cathrode Ray Tubes and our the frequency of our electrical supply at approx. 50Hz in europe (the 30FPS is the result of the 60Hz standard in North America. ...TV's used to have to deliver 2 half images every second ...to overcome the limitations of how the image was created ...it would fade if you tried to do it in 1 sweep of the screen)...this is why you will see some cameras delivering 1080i. The 'i'means interlaced and the frame rate being 50 frames per second...50 half frames really.) Modern flat screens run at allsorts of frequencies (but for TV 25 FPS) and use a different technology but the broadcast standards still remain but the there is not need to interlace now...so images can be chucked down in 1 go progressively ...hence 1080p is 25 fps progressive...in reality frame rates on cameras could be anything.
You are right that motion blur is wanted in film and TV and there is not real difeence between broadcast PAL at 25 FPS and theatrical Film at 24 FPS ...excp to up their own arse DOP's (there are lots more ways that the filmic look) ...however the film industry is international and mainly driven by the US...so they are more concerned about the difference between 24 and 30 FPS. It is only in recent years that cinema has become digital, mostly,....so the distribution of film as prints (those big reels) would universally have gone into projectors expecting to see 24 FPS....
To be honest you you are more likley to see flicker from lights on 50i camera than a 25 or a 30 p...most broadcast cameras you can adjust the frame rate to compensate. If you want to get rid of scan line of your monitor in shot adjust the frequency of it to matchthe camera...it may look flickery to the eye but will match the camera dissappear in the shot...
 simondgee 22 Mar 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
From above ...dont shoot shoot 1080i 25FPS...not many cameras will do that anyway...
shoot 1080p 25FPS for everything for home and internet

1080i 50fps (which becomes 25fps when it is deinterlaced) very few retail cameras will offer this now ... is really a broadcast standard (but there a lot more aspect sof the standard that retail cameras fall down on)

Try to edit and render at the same frame rate as you shoot...otherwise it requires making up or dropping frames
Post edited at 11:21
OP The Lemming 22 Mar 2015
In reply to simondgee:

Thanks for the rely, as I now understand what 1080i means.

Seeing as I used a dSLR to capture single frames a second apart, I don't have to consider interlacing.

Very soon I will be getting a camera that will shoot 60 frames a second. Does it mean that if I learn to render the movies at 30 frames a second or even 24 frames a second that I will get smooth slow motion videos?

Garbhanach 22 Mar 2015
In reply to The Lemming:I am no expert but some of these links might help you not exactly sure what you have in Elements but frame blend is there I think.

http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4595

youtube.com/watch?v=3M9JuUp8K5k&

youtube.com/watch?v=otOrwnxWTNw&

youtube.com/watch?v=57eoRTiwMO8&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...