UKC

classic underground albums

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Somehow I've found Alexisonfire again, this is sort of old now in music terms but still sound brand new to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=qFWMZBlmNSI&

Any more for any more!
In reply to John Simpson:

Dude do we know each other??? Well anyway times have changed and life moves on and tumbleweed blows across the thread like an empty 2009 rock bar back in the dark days of the end of the noughties in a post recession northern town.

So you may as well share your own upload, nobodies listening anyway, so here's some of Sheffield's finest unsung rock n roll heroes

Mae's lost empire - These words have undone the world

youtube.com/watch?v=3ADrFbtETWQ&
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

How do, thats seriously trippy, it felt like time almost stopped and I had a zero point moment! Is there more?
 aln 23 Mar 2015

I've wondered who was on fire, Alex or Alexis?
In reply to aln:

I always read it all Alex is, but it may always have been Alexis, I'm not sure?
 aln 23 Mar 2015

That's a really short album.
 aln 23 Mar 2015

I wondered how long it would take you. Not long.

I enjoyed that one, still quite a short album though, maybe it's the punk ethos.
 The Pylon King 23 Mar 2015

Well there is a full album but its not on You tube.

You again, have you got some form of obsessive compulsive posting disorder?

Well In recent years this has been my favorite by far, heard it at least 1000 times i just love the lack of vocals and soaring guitars soaked in feedback and delay, such a great band to see live. This is my last linked submission to this thread also

Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw
youtube.com/watch?v=Sj03uynm-xs&

edited for obsessive compulsive reasons.
Post edited at 22:29

Maybe you should upload it all then
 The Pylon King 23 Mar 2015

You can buy it on Itunes i believe

Excellent all we need to know now is what it is we're buying.

Stop be so cynical OCPD boy, it is the fine music of the king that is the pylon against the capitalist system, just spread the love man, the music's free for ever
 The Pylon King 24 Mar 2015

Yes you are right. Both EMI and I Tunes are Kapatalist Kunts so i will endeavour to put the whole album up onto You Tube sometime soon.

Excellent news, when it's all on the tube, please share with us
 The Pylon King 24 Mar 2015

Will do sir.

aln 24 Mar 2015

Classic underground is a hard to define oxymoron. Have a go.
 aln 24 Mar 2015

youtube.com/watch?v=F1Wb9ZES7cs&

From my favourite album of the noughties, The Birth, by Stardeath and White Dwarfs. Beautiful moving stuff, with a psychedelic edge.
In reply to SidharthaDongre:

> The pAper chAse anyone?

I think i've heard this before, probably back in the myspace days, definitely heard the first audio track somewhere, is currently on the player now, cheers.
In reply to aln:

> Classic underground is a hard to define oxymoron. Have a go.

ok here goes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_music

'Underground music comprises musical genres beyond mainstream culture. Any song that is not being legally commercialized is considered underground.'

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic

'A classic is an outstanding example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality'

Classic underground

A timeless example of musical work comprising of genres that are not considered to be mainstream.
In reply to aln:

> From my favourite album of the noughties, The Birth, by Stardeath and White Dwarfs. Beautiful moving stuff, with a psychedelic edge.

This is next on the playlist, need to give it a good few listens to get the most out of it, thanks for the share
In reply to aln:

Well I did enjoy that, reminded me of Pink Floyd, but only one song does make a short album!
 aln 25 Mar 2015

> only one song does make a short album!

I couldn't find anywhere that streams the full album. It's fairly cheap to buy.

In reply to aln:

Maybe you could upload your copy to the tube and share the underground vibe

Go on, here's another, just because I re-discovered it myself today!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhNQFpGI0CeY7PJHGuLEy1oOmQMSbk8GV
OK - based on that definition I would offer Mothers of Invention 'Freak Out' 1966 - Who are the Brain Police? Beefheart was in there as well. Over here Pink Fairies? There's lots of stuff from Peel Sessions - Ivor Cutler, Bridget St John, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre - they only got record deals after Peel showcased them.

> Go on, here's another, just because I re-discovered it myself today!

That one is beneath the radar, all i see is white noise! Lol.
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> OK - based on that definition I would offer Mothers of Invention 'Freak Out' 1966 - Who are the Brain Police? Beefheart was in there as well. Over here Pink Fairies? There's lots of stuff from Peel Sessions - Ivor Cutler, Bridget St John, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre - they only got record deals after Peel showcased them.

cheers Keith, I've just found these on the youtube, they're all on the next couple of days playlist.

Mothers of Invention 'Freak Out' 1966
youtube.com/watch?v=3ObY_fKJ37Y&

Pink Fairies - Never Never Land 1971 [Full Album]
youtube.com/watch?v=bICoJ7TGD9g&

IVOR CUTLER John Peel 20th February 1979 (Part 1)
youtube.com/watch?v=If9FKtKGLTo&

Bridget St John - Ask me no questions (full album)
youtube.com/watch?v=MFTKe5Awysw&

Principal Edwards Magic Theatre - The Asmoto Running Band 1971 (Full Album)
youtube.com/watch?v=NBPQZ7wKtM4&

AllanMac 26 Mar 2015

Talk Talk (yes, the same). Album called "Laughing Stock". Outrageously underrated:

youtube.com/watch?v=R7FxqsNO4-Y&
In reply to AllanMac:

> Talk Talk (yes, the same). Album called "Laughing Stock". Outrageously underrated:

cheers.
In reply to AllanMac:

Wow, have just played that for the first time what a gorgeous album!
 BnB 27 Mar 2015
In reply to AllanMac:

Phil Brown, who engineered the album, bought my flat in Islington in order to be near the studio for the recording of Laughing Stock. At least I think it must have been this album, as it was in 1990. Imagine if I hadn't sold. You must owe me a pint at least
In that case, I'll raise you a post-rock classic:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVJ-tOqEKRGEeu8HICjVVAEacpTQzTNMw
Post edited at 13:19
 thomascarr 27 Mar 2015

Co-sign Pelican. Though Australasia is the superior album.

If you like your Psychedelia with an Ex-Black Metal drummer then...

youtube.com/watch?v=x5YF6BlUIiA&

Its worth checking out any of Greg Fox's work. He's a phenomanally talented drummer. See also: Brian Chippendale and Zach Hill.
Ste Brom 27 Mar 2015

A little man, a house, and the whole world window by the cardiacs.
 Timmd 27 Mar 2015

> Yes you are right. Both EMI and I Tunes are Kapatalist Kunts so i will endeavour to put the whole album up onto You Tube sometime soon.

How will any money go to who created the music if you do?

They need to pay the bills too...
 The Pylon King 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> How will any money go to who created the music if you do?

> They need to pay the bills too...

Its my music.
 Timmd 27 Mar 2015

Aaah I see
 CurlyStevo 27 Mar 2015
In reply to aln:

With music it's really not an oxymoron.

Many tracks that ended up being pretty main stream started off as underground sometimes for quite some.
Another example would be any track that is classic amoungst the underground group that are listening to it.

A lot of early rave music fits this bracket.
 MonkeyPuzzle 27 Mar 2015

Listening to Red Medicine by Fugazi today. A really good thing about not being in the mainstream is so much of this great music doesn't age half as badly as the other stuff.
 Siward 27 Mar 2015
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Can Tago Mago:

youtube.com/watch?v=eLNRCDPKkU0&

Goood drumming.

> In that case, I'll raise you a post-rock classic:

Hello, it's the same as the other link you shared, it says,this video does not exist when i try and view it.

I don't know if it works for anyone else?
In reply to thomascarr:

> Co-sign Pelican. Though Australasia is the superior album.

Indeed another great album

> If you like your Psychedelia with an Ex-Black Metal drummer then...

> Its worth checking out any of Greg Fox's work. He's a phenomanally talented drummer. See also: Brian Chippendale and Zach Hill.

Thats quite intense, maybe it's the whole alien thing, cheers for sharing anyway

aln 27 Mar 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I know all that, I just wanted to hear John's definition.
 aln 27 Mar 2015

> Hello, it's the same as the other link you shared, it says,this video does not exist when i try and view it.

Same here.
In reply to Ste Brom:

> A little man, a house, and the whole world window by the cardiacs.

Hi Stu, I found them on you tube,

youtube.com/watch?v=BKfRTa6kzws&

I'd never heard of this band, whilst it's not really my cup of tea, but if thats your thing I'm sure it's up there, thanks for the share
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Listening to Red Medicine by Fugazi today. A really good thing about not being in the mainstream is so much of this great music doesn't age half as badly as the other stuff.

cheers dude I've not heard that much of Fugazi so I found this album and had a listen.

youtube.com/watch?v=n9ahnd83sOY&

Well I did say I'd shared my last link on this thread, but it go a little more feedback that i'd expected so this one is pretty mint I'd say.

Deftones - White Pony (Reissue Edition) [Full Album] HD

youtube.com/watch?v=BV9hyyCAfaU&
 felt 29 Mar 2015

Any of Metro's three LPs
In reply to felt:

> Any of Metro's three LPs

How do, cheers for the share, this is the first one I found on youtube, never heard of this band, and not really my preference, but i enjoyed it, currently on repeat play cheers.

youtube.com/watch?v=Uczn8j6i0Uk&
 felt 29 Mar 2015

Great, an underground LP by Metro on YouTube. Full house. Mind the gap!
 malky_c 29 Mar 2015

Split Lip - For the love of the wounded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWysDlPA7vQ&list=PLYXfni2THfV_d8HZwHbmp...

Emo before it got hijacked by goths in makeup. Shit production, great music. They went on to become Chamberlain, who no-one has heard of either.
In reply to malky_c:

Evening, well from that link I had to follow individual songs through. That's bang on as a guitar sound maybe a bit bad religion. Rather than Emo sounds more very early hard core, but more like skate punk, and essentially no views so as underground as the come, best share for me so far!

nice 1

Hmmnnn...I can view it in three different browsers, Firefox, IE and Chrome however, the link doesn't work if clicked from this post. Try copying and pasting the link into a new window maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVJ-tOqEKRGEeu8HICjVVAEacpTQzTNMw

> Hmmnnn...I can view it in three different browsers, Firefox, IE and Chrome however, the link doesn't work if clicked from this post. Try copying and pasting the link into a new window maybe?

I tried copy and pasting before and it says This video is unavailable Sorry about that.

Just tried again and it gives me the same.

Bizzare.
Removed User 30 Mar 2015

Some good stuff on here.

My offerings: Everyone has heard of Husker Du, Big Black and Sonic Youth. Not everyone (post John Peel) has heard of:

Bitch Magnet:
youtube.com/watch?v=vyZjBWBWhpY&
youtube.com/watch?v=5H-Ltb5fvqk&

Polvo:
youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2gsc4C6cQ&

Don Caballero:
youtube.com/watch?v=45VZNDqtEa4&
youtube.com/watch?v=quaQFHJr3Bo&
youtube.com/watch?v=XMBR1wlGLZ8&
 malk 30 Mar 2015

> never heard of this band, and not really my preference, but i enjoyed it, currently on repeat play cheers.

think you maybe confusing your metros?
youtube.com/watch?v=R9vy-6GosIM&

of a similar age and type i give you the idle race:
youtube.com/watch?v=2rJDiPvJTwE&
youtube.com/watch?v=pLlBCLYO0FU&

In reply to malk:
> think you maybe confusing your metros?

Quite possibly!

> of a similar age and type i give you the idle race:

cheers
cheers
Post edited at 23:38
 malk 30 Mar 2015
In reply to John Simpson: my french neighbour introduced me to Magma- Steve 'interesting' Davis' fave band..
youtube.com/watch?v=a73XLkf43-s&

malk 31 Mar 2015
In reply to John Simpson: have you been to the 13th floor?
youtube.com/watch?v=QEQBfJwYlLY&

In reply to malk:

> have you been to the 13th floor?

I have now, loving the vibe and your posting time synchronicity

Indeed! The alternative method would be to Search for 'Pivot (PVT) - Make Me Love You (2005)' on YT and click on vinnowater's playlist maybe? It's the top of the list using that search term.

In reply to Removed User:

Never heard Bitch Magnet before, but DC and Polvo I've heard before.

The Workhouse - Post-rock'esque - youtube.com/watch?v=R9xmAOCKU5Q&

Bersarin Quartett - Ambient, electronics/electroacoustic - https://bersarinquartett.bandcamp.com/

Biosphere & Deathprod - Ambient - youtube.com/watch?v=8GXRWfZrf8E&

> Indeed! The alternative method would be to Search for 'Pivot (PVT) - Make Me Love You (2005)' on YT and click on vinnowater's playlist maybe? It's the top of the list using that search term.

Evening, I just searched youtube with phrase, which gave me the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWIESHoFgHQ&list=PLVJ-tOqEKRGEeu8HICjVV...

This is currently playing, cheers, sounds a good choice for this time of day

> Never heard Bitch Magnet before, but DC and Polvo I've heard before.

> The Workhouse - Post-rock'esque - youtube.com/watch?v=R9xmAOCKU5Q&

> Bersarin Quartett - Ambient, electronics/electroacoustic - https://bersarinquartett.bandcamp.com/

> Biosphere & Deathprod - Ambient - youtube.com/watch?v=8GXRWfZrf8E&

I've often wondering why we like different types of music, which is described as taste, maybe it's the frequencies of vibration which we are individually tuned to, as there's much stuff which really moves me that a lot of folk would consider white noise.

However these links especially the middle link which i had to struggle with poor connection speed and lots of pauses, are to me absolutely immaculate, I don't think music can get any better, different yes, but how could it be improved on? A tiny piece of perfection in a un-perfect world.

Cheers

Indeed, I think you might not be far wrong, in as much as we're all products of our own individual environments and experiences, thus we're afforded different ways of appreciating that which we find ourselves with.

Also, you should hear their second album, simply called 'II'. I think the following link works!

youtube.com/watch?v=Q0h8BV1lNWE&

> Indeed, I think you might not be far wrong, in as much as we're all products of our own individual environments and experiences, thus we're afforded different ways of appreciating that which we find ourselves with.

> Also, you should hear their second album, simply called 'II'. I think the following link works!

I think I prefer the first, this one seems a bit more based around a singular phrase or riff, but I need to play them more, maybe will download the first one, when I have a few quid spare.
cheers

I think this band whilst always been a part of the underground scene, heavily influenced the mainstream, I could wax lyrical about the reasons why, but thats not the point, it aint about me!

DINOSAUR JR dinosaur jr. [Full Album] 1985 vinyl rec
youtube.com/watch?v=ttxg7N5HyQQ&

Certainly II's interest is tied to its dynamic undercurrents, but both are great albums!

Bursting out of the underground onto the scene we get a thread with questions about sisemic(sic) proportions. Well there's plenty o that low down and dirty ol' shit in the underground, for example in the Doom / Stoner genre...

...So it was only time till someone mentioned Dorset's finest.

'THE WIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD'

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone (2000) full album

youtube.com/watch?v=eaMbKZPBruU&

Ah and so it goes. The Wizard, very metal, a good choice for the night before the day that they stung the man up for all the world to see, wheres Vyvyan Basterd when we need him most?

how about some Russian Circles for breakfast.

Russian Circles - Empros (Full Album)
youtube.com/watch?v=Ca5TncjCjtw&
Post edited at 03:59
I remember catching them support Tool some years ago - awesome gig!

Also...Neurosis?!?

youtube.com/watch?v=TICmWym9DmU&
Post edited at 11:35

> I remember catching them support Tool some years ago - awesome gig!

Sweet, I saw Russian Circles In Manchester 2012, was a good night out with a few mates, I remember driving back over the Snake in a complete pea souper, when you got out you could hardly could see your hand in front of you,

> Also...Neurosis?!?

I'd not heard this before but had a few listens as this threads slowed down to a trickle so there's a bit more time, no doubt like the spotter that I am, I'll go through all links again, but regards this link, although I hadn't heard them before I really get that sounds, it's very rare in life to meet people with the same musical tastes if those tastes are right on the boundaries of the +-3dB bell curve.

Come on all you thread watches, let keep these rare gems coming!
Post edited at 22:01

Here you go then you weirdo, post hardcore screamo fret tapping loop effect driven 3 piece, with conceptual songs of a girlfriend which is an alien that has abducted him from a parallel universe. Unfortunately this band broke down some years ago due to mental and drug issues.

The mighty ' Fall Of Troy '

Doppelganger (Full Album)
youtube.com/watch?v=VN5kzHnqOCE&
 malk 04 Apr 2015

cool links - never heard of electric wizard
a segue: youtube.com/watch?v=RF-fC7tqatc&
 felt 04 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

> think you maybe confusing your metros?

As a matter of fact he wasn't. The one with three albums was the clue.

In reply to malk:

Hi Malk thats for the share, am at work now so using Iphone as router for laptop so I don't have enough bandwidth for youtube but will play tonight and get back to you.
In reply to malk:

> cool links - never heard of electric wizard

Yes they have maintained something of a reputation there's a load of metallers out their that are completely unaware of this band.

Cheers, I enjoyed that, it's trippy, a good addition to the collection of links

Well there's a lot of post rock on here so if you get into post rock it's only a matter of time till the band Red Sparowes is mentioned

Here's 43 minutes and 4 seconds of magnificence.

Red Sparowes - The Fear Is Excruciating, but Therein Lies the Answer [Full Album]
youtube.com/watch?v=VXZi37D7OzY&

Good Choice Johny j, i'll see you with the aptly named

Isis - In the Absence Of Truth (full album)
youtube.com/watch?v=atCKkDusJkc&
 thomascarr 04 Apr 2015

With all this talk of Neurosis/Electric Wizard, I'm surprised Sleep haven't been mentioned. Especially as many critics describe Holy Mountain as the quintessential stoner rock album (which isn't far from true).
Dopesmoker (in all its incarnations) should get a mention too. A 63 minute song about a bong huffing caravan through the holy land? Where do I sign!?

youtube.com/watch?v=My8T8vTYaZ8&

youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc&
 thomascarr 04 Apr 2015

Probably one of the better modern Math-Rock records.

Hella - Hold Your Horse Is

youtube.com/watch?v=bWqLiy9TLdg&
In reply to thomascarr:

> With all this talk of Neurosis/Electric Wizard, I'm surprised Sleep haven't been mentioned. Especially as many critics describe Holy Mountain as the quintessential stoner rock album (which isn't far from true).

> Dopesmoker (in all its incarnations) should get a mention too. A 63 minute song about a bong huffing caravan through the holy land? Where do I sign!?

Cheers Thomas, yeah the classic stoner album would always have cropped up at some point, thanks for the shares, top choices
In reply to thomascarr:

> Probably one of the better modern Math-Rock records.

> Hella - Hold Your Horse Is

Cheers not heard this one will get to it soon, maybe some cider is required
In reply to thomascarr:
> Probably one of the better modern Math-Rock records.

> Hella - Hold Your Horse Is

Morning Thomas, cheers this is by far the most avant garde link on the thread, and I really enjoyed it it's interesting that you class it as modern as it's a 2002 recording but I've never heard it and like the OP it still sounds brand new. So perhaps this is full circle.

Whilst not a been definitive list, I've learnt that the genres of music initially get classified due to BPM, so classic Heavy Metal is generally 90BPM, once you go slower than that it's classed as Stoner for a overdriven guitar band, getting up on the 110bpm mark you get Funk for example the much used 16beat, if we move on up to about 124bpm we're getting poppy, maybe indie/alt/punk rock.

Moving to higher speeds above this 130 this is punk or dance or thrash, then once you get around 140bpm it's usually listed as core, if you have spent any time in the band scene, you'll have seen the nu school adds like' wanna be in any type of band associated with core, grind core, sludge core, stone core, cheese core, pop core, post pop gaze core', etc, et al....

So with all that in mind as it's pretty ground breaking for 2002, Math Rock doesn't really define it for me. I seem to understand that Post Rock is called post rock, because those early Chicago bands had seen the full spectrum of front men and heard all the songs so to make it post, to say the most about it, you shut up and got rid of the vocal and put more riffs into the tracks make up, essentially starting to write classical driven themes played in your standard 3, 4, or 5 piece electric guitar band.

So this link you've shared, apart from a couple of middle 8 type break downs in the last few tracks which seem to break beat and drop to around 120, to my ear on first listen it kinda runs around close to 140.

The gain levels on the guitar sound never reach metal thresholds, but bearing in mind some modern pop music has death levels of distortion.

The riff structure is definitely mathy in nature.

So finally I'm always willing to be corrected if and when wrong, but I'd class it as:

Postmathrockcore

Cheers for the link, for me this kind of conversation is usually restricted to late night practice room sessions so it makes a change to be on UKC.
Post edited at 03:10

Just found this

Stoned Jesus - Seven Thunders Roar (2012) (Full Album)

Published on Apr 7, 2014
Ahhh, Ukraine, such a jewel of the former Soviet Union with its boxers, its vodka and its Borscht. Known for its black metal scene, the country is also producing a large amount of quality doom steel. Stoned Jesus, their best representative, released their sophomore album in 2012 and it's a very cool example of atmospheric doom/stoner. There's also Ethereal Riffian and Narrow House to follow, it's a small but talented scene and its potential is high.

On Seven Thunders Roar, the high lord managed to incorporate new influences in their music and it definitely helped to improve it. The psychedelic element was present anteriorly but it's much more refined here and it's now an integrative part of the band's sound. The album is composed of many different kind of atmospheres, it can be very uplifting or heavier. It's never quite dark either, that was one of my complaints at first. I thought the album was too happy for this kind of music. I know that's a very silly reason ! The mood is indeed soothing most of the time, I need to quote one of my stoner friends who said that about the last song ''Stormy Monday'' : ''The chorus is the equivalent of lifting off on the back of a dragon above a big ocean after taking bong rips''. That's a very fitting description. The feel good side of the band can be a bit overwhelming, at least for someone such as myself who prefers the darker ambiance of doom metal. Nonetheless, they play that style very well and it works. The songwriting is still pretty damn strong and it's served beautifully by the organic musicianship.

Igor (guitars, vocals) is a pretty cool dude. His vocals are quite psychedelic and they're pleasing to the ear. There's no harsh vocals to be found here, it's very mom friendly, you can play the record when you're on a picnic with your douchebags friends and they probably won't complain too much. You should probably smoke some weed with them while you're there....yeaaaaaaaah ! The epic track ''I'm the Mountain'' starts with an instrumental intro of three minutes but nonetheless, the vocals are still an important part of the band's identity as there's some really groovy choruses and sing along songs like ''Indian''.

The accent is not too thick but it's a bit weird to hear an Ukrainian stoner sing ''I'm an Indian !!! Yeah, I guess he's f*cking stoned, drunk or both at the same time! So, a cool clean vocal delivery similar to the classic/psychedelic era, a good range and weird ass hippie lyrics are fundamental to the band's imagery. The lyrics are quite good and not written in Engrish. They're not your typical try hard occult bullshit with references to Lucifer and to be honest, that's cool because the whole formula is getting tired. Igor wrote metaphors about his life and it's pretty damn fabulous. They're psychedelic words with a joyful 60s Acid vibe

"On a silver unicorn. Rides that lady of the storm. Heaven's bliss from up above. She's the queen of all beloved" You can also get a glimpse of how they sound by looking at the amazing cover, I mean there's a skull on fire, a bear, an Amerindian, an owl, a crow and a deer. Weeeeeeeeed. Yessir !

The production is very lush and rich, the bass is loud in the mix but it's very flattering. The band works well as a power trio. The drummer is groovy and Igor's riffistic approach is subtle and natural. Like the production, the transitions between mid paced, slow and faster moments are very smooth. They can write longer songs effortlessly and it would be very cool to see the try to write an epic à la Dopesmoker, I think they have to skill to attain such greatness. Seven Thousands Roar is a very good album but the band is still young and I'm convinced they can do way better. I think Ancestors's progression is an apt example for them. They're basically became more progressive with each albums while never really denying their doom/stoner roots. That's what I'd like Stoned Jesus to do too.

I don't know what's in their brownies but I'm gonna cook some. Here's the recipe. But first, you'll need a versatile guitar, a fuzzy bass and some groovy drumming. Don't forget the Orange amplifiers ! These are crucial to the brownies' mix ! You'll also need :
-100 lb of traditional doom metal
-25 lb of psychedelic rock influences
-125 lb of stoner rock/metal
-10 tablespoons of progressive
-10 to 15 bong hits
-A bear rug

Cook tenderly during 50 minutes and you'll have a f*cking awesome doom album.

1. Bright Like The Morning - 0:00
2. Electric Mistress - 7:47
3. Indian - 17:08
4. I'm The Mountain - 22:09
5. Stormy Monday - 35:10

youtube.com/watch?v=6Zs0-82Yva0&
mick taylor 08 Apr 2015

Love it - thanks.

Re: Dinosaur Jr........one of the best bands to ever walk the plant.

I'll return the favour: Sebadoh................followed by J Mascis..........

youtube.com/watch?v=OG_YsBHWVag&
mick taylor 08 Apr 2015

Never really viewed my tastes as being particularly underground coz 'we' all listened to similar stuff, but for starters:

Afghan Whigs: Congregation

Sonic Youth: Goo (I know its more mainstream for SY, but still ACE!!)

Thurston Moore: Physic Hearts

Spiritualised: We are floating in space

Excuse the tardy reply!

Yeah, Doppelganger was a defining album for me, from hearing it I then spent a considerable portion of my life listening to things post-hardcore/screamo related, here are some of my favourites:

The Pax Cecilia - http://www.paxcecilia.com/blessed.html

Eden Maine - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7ceZwy8y6OPvJEDKetQtDflQzu6NGT5R

Mihai Edrisch - youtube.com/watch?v=Ii49DFmXf3Q&

Swarm of the Lotus - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZeyN097GVn2vlP-kEUIk66GBfUvt4Zm5

Peace Burial At Sea - http://peaceburialatsea.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-such-a-quiet-town
And would have to admit a penchant for shorter, small tantrums too:

Lords - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZGvp2EW_-7lPQlR_iVHSK2UxgI5lWESt

American Heritage - https://americanheritage.bandcamp.com/album/sedentary
Post edited at 12:08
 thomascarr 08 Apr 2015

BOTCH!! They were certainly part of the ten or so essential bands within that scene at the time.
More locally, we had The Murder Of Rosa Luxembourg.....

youtube.com/watch?v=vJ9L3HYzMxE&

A lot of folk I speak to that play/have played in hardcore/post/math bands still consider them a big influence.
In reply to thomascarr:

'Everyone's in Love...' is pretty awesome!

Most Hydra Head was pretty innovative; Boris, Dälek, Kayo Dot, Khanate and These Arms Are Snakes were all defining bands of their respective kind.
In reply to mick taylor:

> Love it - thanks.

> Re: Dinosaur Jr........one of the best bands to ever walk the plant.

> I'll return the favour: Sebadoh................followed by J Mascis..........

Yeah I love dinosaur was slightly obsessed with them, when they got back as original lineup together and came back over to Uk I went with Brian T formally of this parish to seem em in that London, I think it was 2007. For a support act Lou Barlow played his acoustic and had a few of his own Sebadoh numbers, and as with acoustic gigs the chatters always there, and it got louder till I said something to Brian T.

At the end of the song Lou Barlow had a bit of a pre-rehearsed moan about people talking over acoustic songs, but he said something like 'you know what there's always an arsehole who has to talk louder than everyone else, and looked at me, but he then said usually I am that arsehole and get ready when we come back with Dinosaur.

So Dinosaur come on and I've positioned myself as close as I can to Lou's Back line, looked like he had a bass amp, and guitar stack running in stereo, and he nodded in my general direction and they opened up with Tarpit, what a sound all that noise in layers washing over you PA was clipping like crazy couldn't hear the vocals, really good gig. Brian said they were louder than Motorhead when he'd seen them.

In reply to mick taylor:
Hi again Mick, I've had a search

I've got

> Never really viewed my tastes as being particularly underground coz 'we' all listened to similar stuff, but for starters:

> Afghan Whigs: Congregation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuywjsDvL28&list=PL182F1A636C7A334B

> Sonic Youth: Goo (I know its more mainstream for SY, but still ACE!!)

youtube.com/watch?v=zmM6ERPRbiw&

> Thurston Moore: Physic Hearts

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ_9p20LIPyZCFiEvuyjphklnvyzgz6J1

> Spiritualised: We are floating in space

youtube.com/watch?v=iB7E1D_3Na4&

these are next on the playlist
Cheers for the shares and keeping the thread alive :+)
Post edited at 21:48
> Excuse the tardy reply!

Don't be daft Sid, apart from having the good nature to reply to my strange replies often talking to my self you've been the most prolific contributor with many excellent shares to the thread, cheers for all the links will get though them in next few days

> Yeah, Doppelganger was a defining album for me, from hearing it I then spent a considerable portion of my life listening to things post-hardcore/screamo related, here are some of my favourites:

Post edited at 21:45

Have just got on Micks share of Thurston Moore: Physic Hearts

and as I can't edit to link in the reply to Mick with

Thurston Moore: Physic Hearts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rat0Uoyj00w&list=PLZ_9p20LIPyZCFiEvuyjp...

It's posted here

as the earlier link doesn't work, the reason the link doesn't work is because it's taken from a playlist of an album rather than an single recording, and to ensure the link works I needed to click to play the playlist and that link could be used. If that makes sense.

i'd think they is why we had the same problem before with some shared links.

> Excuse the tardy reply!

> Yeah, Doppelganger was a defining album for me, from hearing it I then spent a considerable portion of my life listening to things post-hardcore/screamo related, here are some of my favourites:

Hi link broken as I think listed in a couple of posts above, this one works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZAhzsOU518&list=RDHCfpQDF7v6trI

same here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEy4KkueZYo&list=RDHCwhuj5xCK8EU

> And would have to admit a penchant for shorter, small tantrums too:

Broken link, If i just search Lords on you tube I'm not sure which this is

Currently playing, they sound a bit like Bad Religion on speed !
In reply to mick taylor:

> Love it - thanks.

Hi Mick me too, going have to play that band a lot more, I think, with that in mind not a bad place in this thread for a major British Band in the same genre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Goblin

With Time Travelling Blues [Full Album] [1998]
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNpDmKHAjeE&

These broken links are strange! Do you log into youtube? Maybe it provides a different link if so?

There's something about that southern-drawl hardcore that colours that genre just right for me. I guess I like my screaming with an accent!
mick taylor 09 Apr 2015

Once saw Mudhoney perform this classic by The Monkeywrench (Mark Arm and Steve Turner plus others):

youtube.com/watch?v=dTizA7_V2YI&

Damn fine album too.
mick taylor 09 Apr 2015

Good stuff. Feel free to rein me in if I drift too mainstream, but the album Raise by British band Swervedriver was a classic. Here's a song:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Aeq_6dxA9U&
 malk 09 Apr 2015

back to the late golden age of pop/rock..
youtube.com/watch?v=3SGe4QhQcsg&
youtube.com/watch?v=GUI3hxV0d8o&

> These broken links are strange! Do you log into youtube? Maybe it provides a different link if so?

I stay logged into google which includes youtube, but not sure if it provides another link, I did manage to upload a broken link last night which I found when checking as the youtube link was for a youtube page with the selected album at the top of the page, so the link didn't work as a youtube play. To make it work i needed to click on the selected video to ensure the link changed. I don't know if this is happening at your end or if it's a more complex anomaly

> There's something about that southern-drawl hardcore that colours that genre just right for me. I guess I like my screaming with an accent!

In reply to mick taylor:

> Once saw Mudhoney perform this classic by The Monkeywrench (Mark Arm and Steve Turner plus others):

> Damn fine album too.

I only really played mudhoney from around 2009 on-wards as I missed them back in the day but had always heard of the name, yeah great sound
In reply to mick taylor:
> Good stuff. Feel free to rein me in if I drift too mainstream, but the album Raise by British band Swervedriver was a classic. Here's a song:

Cheers just about to play this.

I don't know if I'm the person to judge if bands added are underground enough, as I posted a Deftones link, which as a band may not get the same recognition as the most mainstream of bands, they are a commercial rock outfit.

I seem to be more of the threads MC, maybe the thread needs an audit? Any one fancy a unpaid web task?
Post edited at 20:28
In reply to malk:

> back to the late golden age of pop/rock..

First time I heard this

Cheers I know a good few folk that were into Budgie, they were massive and it's a rare person who mentions em, a definite classic!
 thomascarr 09 Apr 2015

This thread is great! So much goodness!

A few more....

Lightning Bolt. Wonderful Rainbow because nobody does Noise-Rock as good as the Brians.

youtube.com/watch?v=EP_E36j-TMQ&

Slint. Spiderland as (for me at least) its probably one of the most important Post-Rock albums ever recorded.

youtube.com/watch?v=FAApF-FDkoY&

Lungfish. Sound In Time just because.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rxm_eQGpJQA&
In reply to thomascarr:

> This thread is great! So much goodness!

> A few more....

> Lightning Bolt. Wonderful Rainbow because nobody does Noise-Rock as good as the Brians.

Have you by any chance heard of Ruins?

youtube.com/watch?v=dGNjGwGgRfA&
mick taylor 10 Apr 2015

Mudhoney - often think they're my fav band............but that accolade can change hourly!

Saw Mudhoney at the best venue in the world - Glasgow Barrowlands, supported by the brilliant Leatherface. One of the best gigs ever. Had the pleasure of having a drink with Frankie Stubbs when I watched him solo (my mate knew him, and many other North East alternative/indie musicians through running The Bunker in Sunderland). For a sample, try Pandoras Box on 8 mins:

youtube.com/watch?v=deUYdveJziI&

Great thread BTW. I needed it - my works bad beyond belief and this has provided essential escape and aggression !!
 thomascarr 10 Apr 2015

I was lent a copy of Tzomborgha in 2003 it completely knocked my socks off! They've got that spot on blend of scatty time signatures and enough oomph to keep you on your toes.

In reply to thomascarr:

Indeed, that Mandala live set never loses its capacity for rhythmic immersion! But for what is often complete complete wackiness we have, Boredoms and Melt-Banana:

Boredoms - youtube.com/watch?v=zdPCt5ZEf40&
Melt-Banana - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ7rJxuDLjA&list=PLiw99TDl7RnFKp0faLunJ...

To keep in the scope of Japanese noisiness, here's something of a more refined ilk, (to be listened to in this order):

1. Sea - youtube.com/watch?v=QawlQRxy5ig&
2. Land - youtube.com/watch?v=aqGrE0nzVfk&
In reply to thomascarr:

> This thread is great! So much goodness!

> A few more....

> Lightning Bolt. Wonderful Rainbow because nobody does Noise-Rock as good as the Brians.

> Slint. Spiderland as (for me at least) its probably one of the most important Post-Rock albums ever recorded.

> Lungfish. Sound In Time just because.

Cheers Thomas, yeah it's surpassed where I thought it would get to, there's not been many of us on here but it's there's been some fantastic shares and contributions from something of a select few of the UKC posters base. I listened to these links this morning and I'd not heard them before, thanks, once again it sounds very avant garde and it's just so great to be able to listen to music I've not heard before in this way

In reply to mick taylor:

> Mudhoney - often think they're my fav band............but that accolade can change hourly!

> Saw Mudhoney at the best venue in the world - Glasgow Barrowlands, supported by the brilliant Leatherface. One of the best gigs ever. Had the pleasure of having a drink with Frankie Stubbs when I watched him solo (my mate knew him, and many other North East alternative/indie musicians through running The Bunker in Sunderland). For a sample, try Pandoras Box on 8 mins:

> Great thread BTW. I needed it - my works bad beyond belief and this has provided essential escape and aggression !!

Cheers Mick glad you're enjoying it and contributing which makes it all the better. I'd not heard Leatherface but those shouty punk bands with those epic sounding whoooaa oooohhh oooh type chord progressions take some beating for a live gig.

I've never got to see them but mentioed bad religion on the thread before, I almost played this CD back in the 90's till the music had wiped off and it was blank again

Bad Religion - Generator (Full Album)
youtube.com/watch?v=kqXKHU27i7g&
 AllanMac 10 Apr 2015
John, you might also like "Spirit of Eden", also by Talk Talk:
youtube.com/watch?v=HSfGvuiFOWI&

and Mark Hollis' self titled solo album (but with same musicians and producer, I think):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCB1940DBB59F0812

Both have the same feel as Laughing Stock, and are stunning. I never tire of them.

These three albums are seen as 'side projects' by many who know Talk Talk's more commercial stuff, but I heard an interview with two of the band members who said this is the music they really wanted to play all along. If only they'd have recorded more!
Post edited at 23:51
 AllanMac 10 Apr 2015
In reply to BnB:

Interesting info - Thanks!

It's a shame Mark Hollis no longer records anything. I really rate his voice - very expressive. Maybe the voice is no longer what it used to be.
 AllanMac 11 Apr 2015

Talons. "New Topographics":
youtube.com/watch?v=HNXNMx-InXc&
In reply to AllanMac:

> John, you might also like "Spirit of Eden", also by Talk Talk:

Hi Allan thanks I've just played this, is very mellow, cheers

> and Mark Hollis' self titled solo album (but with same musicians and producer, I think):

Unfortunately with this one I get the infamous broken link.

> Both have the same feel as Laughing Stock, and are stunning. I never tire of them.

> These three albums are seen as 'side projects' by many who know Talk Talk's more commercial stuff, but I heard an interview with two of the band members who said this is the music they really wanted to play all along. If only they'd have recorded more!
In reply to AllanMac:

> Talons. "New Topographics":

Thanks a lot Allan I enjoyed this link, good solid post rock, easy listening whilst writing spreadsheets without distraction, quality
 malk 11 Apr 2015

some great obscure/underground stuff in these mixes in your search for classic albums..
https://www.mixcloud.com/soundhog/
moffatross 11 Apr 2015
In reply to mick taylor: > "Sonic Youth: Goo (I know its more mainstream for SY, but still ACE!!)" <

I took a choo-choo several 100 miles down to London's Camden Roundhouse to see them play the whole Daydream Nation double album a few years ago. Superb it was too

How about a little locust abortion technician from the Butthole. It's the Surfers bestest album IMO ... youtube.com/watch?v=9tWsBw3lB64&
In reply to moffatross:
> > "Sonic Youth: Goo (I know its more mainstream for SY, but still ACE!!)" <

> I took a choo-choo several 100 miles down to London's Camden Roundhouse to see them play the whole Daydream Nation double album a few years ago. Superb it was too

> How about a little locust abortion technician from the Butthole. It's the Surfers bestest album IMO ... youtube.com/watch?v=9tWsBw3lB64&

How do great share, well it seems it's getting to be the thread that just keeps on givin, and if we're getting right down to the Butthole, someone somewhere out there is goin raise the black flag.

Black Flag - Slip It In (1984) Full
youtube.com/watch?v=kuq9vGBXgD0&
Post edited at 20:44
> How do great share, well it seems it's getting to be the thread that just keeps on givin, and if we're getting right down to the Butthole, someone somewhere out there is goin raise the black flag.

> Black Flag - Slip It In (1984) Full

Excellent wonderdog, a classic underground album by a somewhat influential band that can be read as a pun of a modern geopolitical problem, wasn't there a thread recently about bands that caused seismic activity, maybe when you look at it that way. Black Flag were a collective of time travelling hippies?

Oh dear John i think sleep deprivation has caused you to start hallucinating, what you need is a good woman to ease you tiny little mind......

Really do you think they'd put up with you, they'd rather get on the plane and fly to the state of the Black flag hahahahaha very apt, I'll raise you with similar early hardcore US punk outfit Minor Threat.

Minor Threat - Complete Discography Full Album (1989)
youtube.com/watch?v=4lH9EV_Urxk&
Post edited at 06:37
 tomrainbow 12 Apr 2015

Mudhoney held the accolade for best live band I had seen until I caught this bunch at the Fleece & Firkin in Bristol in 1994. To this day the gig stands held and shoulders above anything else I have seen.

http://devonrecordclub.com/2011/09/30/girls-against-boys-venus-luxure-no-1-...

youtube.com/watch?v=LS5wGicyKv8&
In reply to tomrainbow:

> Mudhoney held the accolade for best live band I had seen until I caught this bunch at the Fleece & Firkin in Bristol in 1994. To this day the gig stands held and shoulders above anything else I have seen.

Hi Tom, yeah it seems Mudhoney are gathering a reputation as a truly influential band that never sold out, like many of their peers.

Great share I've not heard this band before but lovin that tone, nice and mellow for a lazy Sunday afternoon
 aln 13 Apr 2015

www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=610192&v=1#x7996213

Brilliant record. I tried to do some YouTube links so you don't have to read the thread above but can't get them to work. Anyway, Earl Brutus - Tonight You Are The Special One, under-rated 90's classic. YouTube Come Taste My Mind for a starter, bloody brilliant!
In reply to aln:

> www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=610192&v=1#x7996213

> Brilliant record. I tried to do some YouTube links so you don't have to read the thread above but can't get them to work. Anyway, Earl Brutus - Tonight You Are The Special One, under-rated 90's classic. YouTube Come Taste My Mind for a starter, bloody brilliant!

Hi aln, welcome back

I don't have much bandwidth to play with in the day right now so can't play this till tonight, but i'll update the thread with you link and play this and see what else I can find tonight.

youtube.com/watch?v=iPveQW84o2Y&
mick taylor 15 Apr 2015

This deserves classic status......Witch by Witch. J Mascis on drums........a good dose of stoner grunge.

'The album's best moments result from the torrid dual guitar solos, the well-textured feedback, and how the heavy atmosphere contrasts with Thomas' sweetly nasal howl. And that howl is fantastic..........'

youtube.com/watch?v=tbA66jyyyTU&
mick taylor 15 Apr 2015
In reply to moffatross:

Envious. And good call.
In reply to mick taylor:

> This deserves classic status......Witch by Witch. J Mascis on drums........a good dose of stoner grunge.

> 'The album's best moments result from the torrid dual guitar solos, the well-textured feedback, and how the heavy atmosphere contrasts with Thomas' sweetly nasal howl. And that howl is fantastic..........'

Cheers Mick, I remeber when this came out as heard it through MySpace but had subsequently forgotten all about it, will enjoy playing this again. Great share
 Chris Harris 15 Apr 2015

Anything by Nick Cave.
In reply to Chris Harris:

Hi Chris any recommendations because the first thing I found had Kylie on it. Now if Pops number 1 princess is part of the underground the next recommendation may be Britany Spears!
mick taylor 16 Apr 2015

John/Chris: i struggled thinking about Nick C, coz his style/sound is very none mainstream, and doesn't appear to have sold out. But then he gets everywhere............and then that song with Kylie (which is great, and is the last 7 inch single I ever bought!)).

Grinderman by Grinderman (his 'garage band') fits the bill better and is most defo underground in its general feel/sound..........first track is GREAT:

youtube.com/watch?v=uSLDLznMz5U&

Murder Ballards is an ultra mega classic............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KrbmAjMIE&list=PL6qrs7uybcYChnillidoe...

Whereas the brilliant Let Love In contains possibly his finest singles:

youtube.com/watch?v=RrxePKps87k&

Chris Harris 16 Apr 2015

My suggestion of Nick Cave was more a play on words.

Cave - underground.

Seems that for once, my wit is too subtle............

Ah obviously your wit is so deep I missed it, but cheers for the most excellent joke dude that is if a joke can be funny if you explain it
 Chris Harris 16 Apr 2015

The art of comedy is to know your audience. In this case, I clearly overestimated mine.

Indeed whilst not wishing to catagorise the other fine contributers, so far most contributions have been of a musical nature so puns are welcome however as there has been countless stoner references it may take three weeks till someone laughs
 thomascarr 24 Apr 2015

I'm just not ready to see this thread die. Sorry.

The mighty fIREHOSE Ragin', Full On. Watt is king.

youtube.com/watch?v=pxEMtXcqHxg&
In reply to thomascarr:

> I'm just not ready to see this thread die. Sorry.

> The mighty fIREHOSE Ragin', Full On. Watt is king.

Hello thomas, thanks for keeping the thread alive and the link will enjoy playing it!_!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...