UKC

Nike & Gatlin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JMGLondon 26 Mar 2015
Really disappointing for a company like Nike, who maintain such influence on the athletic world, to offer Justin Gatlin a sponsorship deal. Given their stance on Armstrong, it's also very hypocritical.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/32051389

http://news.nike.com/news/nike-statement-on-lance-armstrong?cp=EUNS_AFF_WG_...
 tony 26 Mar 2015
In reply to JMGLondon:

Quite agree. Gatlin just shouldn't be racing, let alone be sponsored.
 The New NickB 26 Mar 2015
In reply to JMGLondon:

It's business I'm afraid, will be interesting to see how big the backlash is, I suspect not big enough, especially in the US.

I don't think he should be racing.
 earlsdonwhu 26 Mar 2015
In reply to JMGLondon:

So they distanced themselves from Tiger Woods over marital shenanigans but now appear to condone the actions of someone repeatedly cheating in the sporting arena.
 Phil79 26 Mar 2015
In reply to JMGLondon:

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Alberto-Salazars-Runners-I...

Not the only controversy they are currently facing, looks like Project Oregon is back in a spotlight, with several athletes admitted injecting L-carnitine. Not illegal and not against WADA/USADA doping rules, but does seem to be an ethical grey area for a lot of people, and doesn't look particularly good from an anti-doping stance...

Seems to me the world of sport is awash with drugs and dopers, and most sports are really not concerned or oblivious to what might be occurring.

At least cycling admits its got a problem and is trying to sort things out.
In reply to Phil79:
> Not the only controversy they are currently facing, looks like Project Oregon is back in a spotlight, with several athletes admitted injecting L-carnitine. Not illegal and not against WADA/USADA doping rules, but does seem to be an ethical grey area for a lot of people, and doesn't look particularly good from an anti-doping stance...

Not illegal and not against WADA doping rules being the key points.

> At least cycling admits its got a problem and is trying to sort things out.

At least some in cycling admit it's got a problem and are trying to sort it out, I think the same is true for athletics.
Post edited at 15:18
 Chris the Tall 26 Mar 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> Not illegal and not against WADA doping rules being the key points.

Raises the question of what is doping - CIRC seemed to suggest that some people thought it was only doping if you got caught, others that it was OK to go to the very limits (which seems to be the case here)

"Taking the supplement orally is legal under World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) rules. It’s also fair game to inject legal substances as long as athletes take in less than 1.6 ounces in a six-hour period."

Cycling now has a no-needles policy. Whether it's adhered to is another matter, but it ought to be standard across all sports. There should be no need for it, except in exceptional cases (e.g. Diabetics). Likewise TUEs - should be a last resort, and should bar the athlete from competing (again with exceptions).
In reply to Chris the Tall:

It isn't doping, that is a fact. Is the no needle rule sport wide in cycling, or is it just considered good practice? Plenty people are doping in both sports.

Whether the rules should be tightened, that is another matter.
 steveriley 26 Mar 2015
In reply to JMGLondon:

With beautiful timing it seems Nike have withdrawn backing from the incontrovertibly brilliant Jo Pavey: http://www.athleticsweekly.com/featured/justin-gatlin-or-jo-pavey-who-would...
In reply to SteveRi:

That is a real shame. Had a good chat with Jo on Saturday, fabulous athlete, but really down to earth, probably didn't get much from Nike, but I'm sure it made a difference.
 mountainbagger 26 Mar 2015

> I'm sure it made a difference.

http://www.viralblog.com/social-media/make-the-difference-with-nike-footbal...

Nike like to make a difference.
JMGLondon 13 Apr 2015
In reply to JMGLondon:

Quick nod to Robbie Britton who, not only picked up a brilliant Bronze at the world 24hr on the weekend, but also covered up the Nike tick on his GB vest when he was on the podium.
 Mike Highbury 13 Apr 2015
In reply to JMGLondon:
> Quick nod to Robbie Britton who, not only picked up a brilliant Bronze at the world 24hr on the weekend, but also covered up the Nike tick on his GB vest when he was on the podium.

Just like the good old days

http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/encyclopedia/chronologyentry/1968_1...
 galpinos 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Didn't he comment something along the lines of, “I know it’s not exactly the Black Power Salute but I feel I have to do something”? He was told he couldn’t compete without his vest on or with the logo obscured.
 Roadrunner5 13 Apr 2015
In reply to galpinos:
No, his plan was always to just tape up the logo for the prize giving, but was told he couldn't so he folded his clothes to cover the logo.

A good stance

I'm not against life bans generally though, but unrepentant multiple offenders probably should be.

An incredible run by Robbie though, looked nowhere near the podium when I went to bed.
Post edited at 18:43
 galpinos 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> No, his plan was always to just tape up the logo for the prize giving, but was told he couldn't so he folded his clothes to cover the logo.

> A good stance

Agreed (didn't know the exact story)

> I'm not against life bans generally though, but unrepentant multiple offenders probably should be.

Exactly. Back from his second ban and re-signed on the weekend they dropped Jo Pavey.

> An incredible run by Robbie though, looked nowhere near the podium when I went to bed.

I know! I thought all the talk of the logo on the podium was a bit pie in the sky as the race was on going then he started moving up the ranks into third. Amazing performance.

The New NickB 14 Apr 2015
In reply to galpinos:

> I know! I thought all the talk of the logo on the podium was a bit pie in the sky as the race was on going then he started moving up the ranks into third. Amazing performance.

His target was team podium, the team comfortably won Gold, his individual Bronze was a huge bonus.
 Roadrunner5 14 Apr 2015

You never know with the 24 hour race. Robbie got it right on the day but there were maybe 10-15 in that race who could have ran similar distances, but that's championship racing. I fancied Marco to put in a big performance as on his day he's an incredible runner but maybe he just over egged it in the heat, not sure, some days it just doesn't go well and on 24 hour races that can be huge.

Good era for GB ultra running. Currently we are the men's ultra trail, men's 24 hour, women's 100k world champions...

However I'd be surprised if we retained the title next month in annecy as it's a race designed for those who line in the alpine regions.
JMGLondon 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Yes indeed, great days.

Robbie's rise has been excellent. Astonishing performance at the WHW and at 28, he could be around for a few years yet.

Roadrunner5 14 Apr 2015
In reply to JMGLondon:

Yeah to run that time on the WHW having hardly seen it was spectacular, it was Just Paul Giblin had such a good run it overshadowed how good a debut it was.

The Manx Mountain Marathon used to have a fastest first timer award, in long races running onsight does make it harder in many ways.

Yeah 28, he's been ultra running since a young age, if I was him I'd be tempted to step down and get some shorter distances in over the next few years. He's already a much better runner now than he was 2 years ago by doing that, he's ran 54 for 10 miles etc and targeting the more competitive ultra's and not being afraid of getting beaten.
JMGLondon 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I dunno, maybe ignorance is bliss on your WHW debut! But you're right, it does make it that much more impressive.

Probably difficult to change tack when you're getting on podiums, but it would be great to see what he could do over 26.2.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...