UKC

John Renbourn RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 27 Mar 2015
Have just seen that John Renbourn has died. I never saw Pentangle live but did see him playing either solo or duets a few times. Now where's my copy of Bert & John ...

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/26/guitarist-and-songwriter-john-...
 Rob Naylor 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Doug:

Very sad....an inspiring guitarist!
 toad 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Doug:
bugger hadn't seen this. He was very entertaining on Cerys Mathews a week or two ago. Pentangle never really did it for me, but he had some proper talent
Post edited at 21:16
 Tom Valentine 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Doug:

Basket of Light - my second ever LP
 Roberttaylor 06 Apr 2015
In reply to Doug:

Sad to see this. Saw him in a village hall playing solo and with other guitarists, a real musician.
Removed User 06 Apr 2015
In reply to Doug:

Really sad to hear this as he and Bert Janshe were my early guitar heros.
I saw him in a folk club in the 90's but my rather sad but memorable memories were when I saw Pentangle recording a track for the BBC in the late 60's.
Watching guitarists like these live made me realise just how good they were.
 pneame 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Doug:

It is sad news indeed - my unrealistic dream of becoming a guitar genius, learning at John Renbourn's feet in a nice place will be forever unfulfilled.

Back to reality - his albums Ship of Fools and Nine Maidens are two of my absolute all time favourites. He leaves a bit of a hole in the medieval adaptation to the modern ear genre. Brilliant guitarist. His ability to make one instrument sound like 2 was astonishing - like this: youtube.com/watch?v=8EH3Bh3Sc2k&
I have a vague feeling that I may have seen Pentangle in Liverpool in the 70s, but possibly just dreaming

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...